Have the Proper back springs improved?

I want to grab one, but mushy back springs are not my thing. Wondering if BM made changes that seemed needed?

I bought one, and sold it because of this. The backsprings are way too light IMO. They don't need to be nail-breaker heavy but I feel they need to be heavier than they are.

Benchmade has already stated that they don't feel it's an issue or a concern..

Benchmade has already stated that they don't feel it's an issue or a concern..
They are wrong on issue, not a concern so much. My B&M has 10 right now and weak back Spring is a real issue I am told with the knife aficionados who have handled them

They are wrong on issue, not a concern so much. My B&M has 10 right now and weak back Spring is a real issue I am told with the knife aficionados who have handled them
Out of curiousity (I don't own one), what is the issue? Does it not stay closed or stay open? Not safe?

Yeah I don't agree with their stance on it. I feel to them it's a non issue, it's selling well and people that buy Benchmades knives already may not be traditionalists who even know the difference of good walk and talk and snap etc.
Out of curiousity (I don't own one), what is the issue? Does it not stay closed or stay open? Not safe?
OP worded it effectively. It's a smushy action (not desireable). Most who knows better, the action on any GEC knife is how the bar is set for this type of action.

If you have both knives in hand, you know instantly the difference and satisfaction you get with great walk and talk. Heck, even the snap on a Victorinox Swiss Army knife is more pleasing.

Yeah I don't agree with their stance on it. I feel to them it's a non issue, it's selling well and people that buy Benchmades knives already may not be traditionalists who even know the difference of good walk and talk and snap etc.
OP worded it effectively. It's a smushy action (not desireable). Most who knows better, the action on any GEC knife is how the bar is set for this type of action.

If you have both knives in hand, you know instantly the difference and satisfaction you get with great walk and talk. Heck, even the snap on a Victorinox Swiss Army knife is more pleasing.
To your point, a Bullnose GEC in micarta is $60. The Proper is $100. The Proper has a nicer steel but the weak back Spring makes that trade off null. I would own multiples of the Proper with better action. The Spyderco Pingo was another really cool knife with slightly mushy back springs. I prefer harder to close with a half stop on my traditionals

To your point, a Bullnose GEC in micarta is $60. The Proper is $100. The Proper has a nicer steel but the weak back Spring makes that trade off null. I would own multiples of the Proper with better action.
I think that's the common sentiment and I see your point. I would have already owned a few as well, my friends too, but not with the current configuration unfortunately.

We'll see what happens. If Benchmade continues R&D on slipjoints I would be excited to see what that looks like down the road. Really excited.

Piss poor thread ,with such rubbish talked.what a waste of reading.:thumbsdown:
Care to elaborate or engage in the conversation, feel free. Otherwise, I'm not sure anyone even understood what you were trying to communicate...

For a start has the springs improved.jeeze.:confused::thumbsup:
Even Jimmy said no .so sell up and move on little doggy.
And buy something else if not happy ,simples really.

For a start has the springs improved.jeeze.:confused::thumbsup:
Even Jimmy said no .so sell up and move on little doggy.
And buy something else if not happy ,simples really.
My birthday is this month. I went to my local shop and went through all 7 Propers hoping to find one to my liking. I did not. I did order a GEC. I thought Jimmy might like to pass along to his compadres in Oregon that they missed a sell and why. Folks like Sal Glesser usually appreciate feedback and are open to change for their customer base. I would suggest reading more and posting less if this is your usual responses. You could easily have just said "I find the backsprings fine and think you guys are over analyzing the matter", and no one would have thought less of you. Just a suggestion though

I've played with a couple in store and I didn't find them mushy. They weren't as heavy as some but when I think mushy I think Buck (300 series). These did have some snap to them.

The advantage of the Proper is the modern construction. I like that the knife isn't pinned. I go back and forth on owning one as my Victorinox Pioneer is inexpensive and offers a variety of tools while I think the proper would be a cool knife to pocket.

interesting video. I've played with a number of slip joints, and own one (victorinox SAK). mine will easily push down with the thumb from the top, has some stops along the way, so I don't fully get his point there. Sounds like he just doesn't like that the movement from open to close is different than some others? Also, he talks about mushy "weak" spring, but when he releases it to open all the way, the snap is quite audible. Also the closed tension, again seems much like my SAK. I guess I'll have to order one and know for myself. :)

I haven't handled a Proper, but if I were comparing it to something, it would not be a GEC since they are known for strong pulls. I would prefer to see it compared to a Case or a SAK. Just my preference.

Back