Have the Proper back springs improved?

I like lighter pulls. Victorinox is perfect for me. The Proper I have is more than satisfying. It's a modern take, if you want your slipjoint to look and sound the part of an old timey traditional, a GEC is the answer.

Victorinox, Swiss Army knife walk and talk and snap would be great!

Last edited:
I have two and the pull/walk and talk is very much to my liking. Its very similar to victorinox imo and I liked it enough to buy another one.

I haven't handled a Proper, but if I were comparing it to something, it would not be a GEC since they are known for strong pulls. I would prefer to see it compared to a Case or a SAK. Just my preference.
Sorry but GECs have really week pulls(lately). I only have one with stronger pull

I own and love three Propers and always keep one in my EDC rotation. I also own a couple of GECs. I personally prefer the action on my Propers, but I confess, I'm not a traditional slip-joint guy.

I was never much of a slip-joint guy but after looking at pictures of them on BladeForums for too long I'm starting to get the bug, and the sheepsfoot blade is now appealing to me. Even my Benchmade Foray is probably a bit too aggressive for the new job I'll soon be starting, so maybe this is a good excuse to look into the BM Proper.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the "squishy pull", I'll keep this in mind when I take a look at this one before buying.

I would not say that the pull on my Proper is "squishy". I would say it's a 4.5-5 out of 10; by no means a bear trap, but it's definitely not weak. IMHO, there is just the right amount of effort required to open the blade, and the built in half stop aids in the strength of the pull(not sure if that makes sense).
I own a sheepsfoot version and would not hesitate to buy another one (either blade style), based on the one I own.

John

I would not say that the pull on my Proper is "squishy". I would say it's a 4.5-5 out of 10; by no means a bear trap, but it's definitely not weak. IMHO, there is just the right amount of effort required to open the blade, and the built in half stop aids in the strength of the pull(not sure if that makes sense).
I own a sheepsfoot version and would not hesitate to buy another one (either blade style), based on the one I own.

John
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately there is no Benchmade dealer withing a 5 hour drive of where I live but I'll be near one next month, so I'll definitely be checking the Proper out in person. Of course it is subjective to usage, but what is your opinion on the functionality of the sheepsfoot blade? A clip point, or better yet a drop point, would better suit my needs but I don't need another clip point knife and the sheepsfoot is less aggressive and could be a nice addition to my fleet. hmmm red vs. green

Give me a Proper with an FFG blade in D2 and then I'll be happy. Also, forget the nail nick.
I have no issues with Benchmade's lighter pull. I welcome it as a nice change.

I have two and the pull/walk and talk is very much to my liking. Its very similar to victorinox imo and I liked it enough to buy another one.

I've handled several and this is where I'm at. It's not much different than the Alox Pioneer/Soldier. I was expecting it to feel like a Buck slip joint. I don't think they're bad at all.

Back