HAVE THEY GONE TOO FAR? Cold Steel Razor Tek

So, what’s your opinion?

I think this another example of GSM off the rails. The knife might be capable overall, but no way I’m paying $142 for that when there are so many other, better, options available.
If people aren't willing to pay these prices, then GSM will eventually have to lower them to make any sales! Lynn Thompson made knives out of all kinds of materials but he always priced them fairly. That's how he was able to stay in business for 40 years.

If people aren't willing to pay these prices, then GSM will eventually have to lower them to make any sales! Lynn Thompson made knives out of all kinds of materials but he always priced them fairly. That's how he was able to stay in business for 40 years.
I agree, especially the second part. Eventually though I expect lower prices will not be enough to overcome the near total lack of customer service. Delaying the inevitable.

I'm trying to think of a single new "Cold Steel" product developed by GSM that I'd like to buy for their asking prices.

They couldn't even just carry forward with existing , winning old designs with improved materials or at least on par .

No just had to go with bottom of the line stainless and GFN at near premium prices .

This Razor Tek doesn't look like or evoke any feeling of being an old school Cold Steel , not surprising because they ruthlessly sheet-canned all their actual designers in favor of some faceless design team .

Just from the video OP , doesn't look like total junk and might be a contender ...at $50 to 65 , maybe ?

I got my 3V DLC G10 medium Warcraft for ~$130 , IIRC . Not even comparable .

This Razor Tek version goes for 190+ € in Europe, the 4034 Kukri for 290+. Having watched the video, I think it is a capable knife, but the pricing is just insane.

Just a slab of laser cut junk. In the real world, similar knives sell for around $30. That is quite a premium for a brand with zero customer service and virtually no warranty.

n2s

Without Cold Steel s trademark great value pricing, I wonder what the new owners thought they were buying. Certainly not retaining the knowledgeable Cold Steel customer base, with these down grades in materials, increase in prices, and decease in customer service.
I would think a big part of the value of a company is its existing customer base.

I like all my cold steel knives. And I like all the rest of my other knives. But I don't see anything from Cold feel that interest me as of yet

One positive note for me...
I don't care if the sheath dulls the edge.

One observation on testing methodology,sticking the point in wood and removing it doesn't test the point strength.
$5 kitchen knives will survive that. Side to side prying is a more accurate indicator of strength. I wouldn't expect a very fine/thin point to handle that stress but I'd expect a survival knife with a more robust point to take rougher use of that type.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on how long it takes Cold Steel knives to show up at Harbor Freight?
LOL! Thank you for the laugh! Yeah we’re entering Clown World territory. I think it’s best that we all accept the inevitable. For me the final nail in the coffin is the absence of any real customer service. That right there tells you everything. I’ve said this a million times already, get what you want while you can.

the final nail
IDK , folks will buy TwoSun and other brands with basically no meaningful warranty or even return privilege .

But gotta be high quality and relatively bargain priced to pull that off .

Premium prices for budget materials , indifferent designs , and lack of customer service will eventually spell DOOM .

It used to to take customers of a decent brand a fairly long time , to catch on to a radical change in management .

Not so much these days , of the information age !

Back