Have you ever experienced a "knife incident" at your place of work?

Anything, either negative or positive?

Many years ago when I worked for a large corporation I was at work very early going through a stack of mail following a business trip. I was using a small tourist keepsake harakiri knife (with a 6-7" blade) to open the mail which I kept in my attache case at the time.

A secretary passed by my cubicle to drop off a report. She acted odd (she was weird anyway) and couldn't take her eyes off the blade -- I think she was intrigued by how sharp it was. The old spidey senses kicked in, I took the knife, placed it in my attache case, locked the case, took it to my car, locked it in the trunk, and moved my car from the company parking lot, onto the street. There was really no one around, other than the secretary that could have seen me.

Hours later after lunch, someone from HR drifted by. He said that he had heard "reports" that I kept a "sword" in my briefcase, and that I was "swinging it around" earlier. I replied that I didn't own a sword (I didn't at the time), and that I had not brought a briefcase (I carried both a briefcase and/or an attache case depending on the day) to work that day. End of drama. For me at least.

Sometime later I dug through the company's four volume policies and procedures. There was a bit about knives being permitted, so long as their blade length did not exceed 4". I couldn't find anyone else that was aware of this rule. It certainly wasn't covered in new employee orientation. I'm almost certain the guys in shipping/receiving didn't know? ;)

Last edited:

Many years ago when I worked for a large corporation I was at work very early going through a stack of mail following a business trip. I was using a small tourist keepsake harakiri knife (with a 6-7" blade) to open the mail which I kept in my attache case at the time.

A secretary passed by my cubicle to drop off a report. She acted odd (she was weird anyway) and couldn't take her eyes off the blade. The old spidey senses kicked in, I took the knife, placed it in my attache case, locked the case, took it to my car, locked it in the trunk, and moved my car from the company parking lot, onto the street. There was really no one around, other than the secretary that could have seen me.

Hours later after lunch, someone from HR drifted by. He said that he had heard "reports" that I kept a "sword" in my briefcase, and that I was "swinging it around" earlier. I replied that I didn't own a sword (I didn't at the time), and that I had not brought a briefcase (I carried both a briefcase and/or an attache case depending on the day) to work that day. End of drama. For me at least.

Sometime later I dug through the company's four volume policies and procedures. There was a bit about knives being permitted, so long as their blade length did not exceed 4". I wonder if the guys in shipping/receiving knew? ;)
And people on this forum spend time wondering why folks think people carrying knives might be stupid or dangerous. Christ.

A secretary passed by my cubicle to drop off a report. She acted odd (she was weird anyway) and couldn't take her eyes off the blade. The old spidey senses kicked in, I took the knife, placed it in my attache case, locked the case, took it to my car, locked it in the trunk, and moved my car from the company parking lot, onto the street. There was really no one around, other than the secretary that could have seen me.

Sometime later I dug through the company's four volume policies and procedures. There was a bit about knives being permitted, so long as their blade length did not exceed 4". I wonder if the guys in shipping/receiving knew? ;)

So you broke company policy, got caught, and blame the person who caught you for overreacting?

Hell, if I had wandered up to your desk I would have been staring at the blade too, leaving a 7" unsheathed knife on your work desk is just pleading for an incident.

I carry slipjoints at work, and I often open mail with them, but when I'm not using them I keep them closed and in my pocket like a responsible knife owner.

I used to take this SAK to work to open my snack packs (usually peanuts) and one time I found it was missing from my pocket and I went back to the break room and looked but couldn't find it so I emailed the receptionist (who had a lost and found box) and asked her and she said somebody had just dropped it off.

I stopped by her desk and picked it up. It was quite an incident!

Here is the knife. The cat wasn't involved but he's a good cat and I have found more people 'like' my pictures when the cat is included so ....

Sometime later I dug through the company's four volume policies and procedures. There was a bit about knives being permitted, so long as their blade length did not exceed 4". I couldn't find anyone else that was aware of this rule. It certainly wasn't covered in new employee orientation. I'm almost certain the guys in shipping/receiving didn't know? ;)
I was entering a school we were going to do roof repairs on was told by security that I couldn't carry my knife in the building, returned to my truck threw it in the glove box put on my tool belt witch had a roofing ax, utility knife and a awl on it and entered the building he had nothing to say.

Back when I used to work at a large office, it was also the time I was getting into knives heavy. I would carry a lot of large knives daily (Direware, Hoback, etc..). No one seemed to care ever, and they would be visible a lot since I sat along a highly trafficked hallway and would have them out since opening packages was a big part of my job.

Back when I used to work at a large office, it was also the time I was getting into knives heavy. I would carry a lot of large knives daily (Direware, Hoback, etc..). No one seemed to care ever, and they would be visible a lot since I sat along a highly trafficked hallway and would have them out since opening packages was a big part of my job.
Yep. I think the secretary I spoke of would have had a heart attack had she ever walked through shipping and receiving. The rule was arcane, never mentioned, and took some serious digging to even locate.

I was entering a school we were going to do roof repairs on was told by security that I couldn't carry my knife in the building, returned to my truck threw it in the glove box put on my tool belt witch had a roofing ax, utility knife and a awl on it and entered the building he had nothing to say.
When I was in HS, there was this very cool teacher who was trying to open a parcel, while surrounded by students. He was getting frustrated at the fiberglass reinforced paper tape. He looked at me and said "let me use your blade." I gave him a look like "what the heck?" He said "come on, come on!" and held out his hand so I pulled out my Sodbuster. No problem. Then again, some guys openly wore Buck 110 sheaths on their belts back then.

I was young. I accidentally stabbed myself in the hand, messing around with trying to puncture heavy plastic. I was fired days later.

Edit: Just realized this post didn't make sense. I stabbed my hand while at work, thus me being fired.

Last edited:
I had a receptionist in a Chicago office environment freak out when I used a Bestech Goblin (2" blade, flipper) to open a box that was sealed with the heavy duty tape that has fibers in it.

I didn't tell her that the Goblin was clearly not a weapon because I was also carrying a load handgun at the time, but the urge was strong. ;)

Yep. I think the secretary I spoke of would have had a heart attack had she ever walked through shipping and receiving. The rule was arcane, never mentioned, and took some serious digging to even locate.
And yet you somehow knew you had done something wrong enough that you immediately took steps to remove any evidence of having broken the rule.

Never had an incident, but worked in a place where you weren't allowed to carry any kind of knife (but the rule wasn't enforced). You could literally take five steps to the break room, which didn't even have a door, where there was a big jar sitting on an open shelf with three or four big kitchen knives standing in it, tip down, ready to be drawn. :rolleyes:

I pointed out that fact to the one person who questioned why I had a Benchmade Mini-Barrage in my pocket and that led to an end of the conversation, satisfactory to all parties.

I've stabbed a few scorpions that were angry at me one time for disturbing their nest. Then the knife broke so I threw it away. Then my backup knife broke :confused: :mad:. My fixed blade survived though. So once I returned home I bought better quality gear.

Back