• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Hawk

G L Drew

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I forged this from an old ball peen hammer so the steel is unknown. I heat treated it like I would 1095 with good results. Using testing files I estimate the edge at about 55 Rockwell so sharpening will need to be done with a stone because a file will just skate on the edge. The body has been normalized three times and everything but the edge has been quenched leaving most of the steel softer to withstand shock. I made the handle from curly soft maple so it is strictly decorative, if you like to throw a hawk my suggestion is to go on line and buy half a dozen hickory or oak handles because they will break if the handle hits the target. (Unless you are a much better thrower than me and always hit the target edge first)
Head length: 8 1/2 inches
Haft: 17 inches
Cutting edge:2 3/4 inches
Simple leather edge gurard

SOLD

IMG_7923 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_7924 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_7926 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_7925 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_7927 by Gerald Drew, on FlickrIMG_7931 by Gerald Drew, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back