Head ID and handle fitting suggestions

Off center kerf update- Strolled over to the replacment handles in H D and the axe handle bin was full of shiny varnished handles with CENTETED kerfs . Guess its kinda like their piles of 2x4 's, get there to late and just the crap left . I was tempted to buy another for my next axe...but Ill visit other resources. At least I was pleased to see the quality was better.( Kerfs were still clogged with varnish)

Off center kerf update- Strolled over to the replacment handles in H D and the axe handle bin was full of shiny varnished handles with CENTETED kerfs . Guess its kinda like their piles of 2x4 's, get there to late and just the crap left . I was tempted to buy another for my next axe...but Ill visit other resources. At least I was pleased to see the quality was better.( Kerfs were still clogged with varnish)

The 2x4 analogy seems pretty accurate when it comes to axe handles. I don't know the area you live in but Coastal farm stores around here stock House Handle products. I've also had luck with a couple of military surplus stores for decent handles. If you want to try a straight handle instead of the curved, sometimes the axe-eye maul handles can be a good bet.

The 2x4 analogy seems pretty accurate when it comes to axe handles. I've also had luck with a couple of military surplus stores for decent handles. If you want to try a straight handle instead of the curved, sometimes the axe-eye maul handles can be a good bet.

I agree, at the local hardware stores I rotate thru, it's definitely first come get the better handles then wait till the stock depletes enough for them to reorder.

Great suggestions. I did just that with my Plumb National Utility, used a NOS axe eye maul handle and love it.

Last edited:
Back