• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Heads up on Knifeworks Internet site

This could be completely unrelated to their site.
But, someone posted a comment about some knife they had and I viewed their site. While viewing the site and clicking between brands to see what they had, my computer kept giving me prompts that I was leaving and entering secure connections. Just like when you buy something ....that little window that tells you that you are entering a secure site.
But it kept coming up and then going away and then coming back....just from viewing the site.

I ran my Spybot and it found a problem and could not remove a cookie from SOMEWHERE. I had to send a report to Microsoft and got back a very discouraging error report that I might have to remove Spybot from my computer.

Instead I restored the system (I am running XP with SP2) to last Friday, ran yet another update on Spybot, found and fixed the problem that it couldn't fix before the restore.

I have no idea if this originates from Knifeworks.com but that is the only new site I visited since Friday.

This may or may not happen to others. Personally, I will never visit their site again.

:grumpy:

Moved to GB&U.

Interesting but odd that a retailer would distribute that type of software from his site; so lets not jump to too many conclusions ... yet :D.

That's why my disclaimers. This could easily be a glitch with only MY machine. Just wanted to "heads up" the forum to be careful.

It is NO fun to do what I just did.

Nothing against Knifeworks and I ....was....impressed with their selection and prices, but I just don't want to chance it again.

:)

I have that problem when I access their site via a google search. It happens once and only once, the first time I access their site.

By the way, if you decide not to access their site again, you will be missing out on what I find to be the best prices available on many production knives. They have become my favorite internet knife company because they usually have the lowest price that I can find on whatever I am looking for. And they are nice folks to deal with as well, if you ever talk to them on the phone.

Regards,
bls

I may try it again. I do use Google search engine.
That's a strange thing.
There has to be SOMETHING doing it if TWO of us have had it happen.
It turned to a mess.

I am going to follow the advice though and install Adaware.

I have Norton and Spybot (newest and updated on both) but have never had Adaware.

SUMPIN is goin on. If not, someone should make them aware if they aren't so they could fix as an experience like that will keep people away from a second visit.

STill gunshy. (the healing process)

heh

Hey guys,
I'm posting on Roger @ knifeworks.com's behalf. Roger has a lot going on with getting orders out right now and asked me to post this for him.
He contacted the company that maintains his website/shopping cart and the following is the response about the issue from the service tech;
It appears that the person either had a problem with their spybot anti-spyware program or was infected by spyware that spybot could not remove. Their system restore then removed the spyware by restoring the system back to a time before it had been infected. It appears that even Microsoft had identified a problem with their Spybot. It definitely was not a problem with your site, I don't see any example of the behavior the post is describing and I'm assuming you don't either. In all honesty there no way to tell if what he was seeing was an actual error dialog box from windows or a spyware pop up window made to look like a dialog box. If it was a problem with the site, there would have been nothing the poster could have done to his computer to "fix" the issue or everyone who visited the site would have the same thing happen. Please let me know if this helps or you have any further questions. Thanks BrianR

After reading the post, I searched for knifeworks on google and had no issues when the site came up so it seems the culprit may be some embedded spyware.
If you have any concerns you can email Roger at help@knifeworks.com but he was satisfied that the site is safe after talking with tech support.
Hope this helps.
Regards

I bought knives from Knifeworks and my experience was always top notch. I never had any problem with them "pushing" knives thru Spy or Adware. This is a top quality firm with a good reputation. just my 2 Eurocents :)

At one point I had that problem where everytime I clicked on something it would appear to be moving in an out of secured areas, but I have not had the problem since they changed the site. I'm running Spybot now to see if I have any problems. I tried it on both IE and Mozilla FireFox with no problem (Windows 2000 Pro). I'll try it at work later with my XP/SP2 computer.

Back