Recommendation? heavy duty EDC

since there seems to be so many contractors and construction workers in this thread i have a semi off topic question for yall: what are some good hot weather work clothes? im a northern boy moving to constant extreme temps in florida lol

I'm on Kentucky but still get high 90s with a few days over 100 in the summer.

Best thing I've found is 100% cotton old school button up work shirts. I like Red Kap. Keep them unbuttoned when its gets unbearably hot.

Alot of jobs wont let you wear shorts. Look for utility style work pants made out of lighter fabrics. Tractor Supply has a nice pair of lightweight work pants under the Blue Mountain brand. Less than $20 per pair

Stay away from anything that's polyester blend.

Straw hat whenever possible and a big bandana to wipe sweat.

Lots of water. Go ahead and buy a water cooler because bottles get expensive and constantly having to pick up empties around a job site is a pain. Especially on windy days.

Stay off roofs and out of attics if at all possible during July and August!

I'm on Kentucky but still get high 90s with a few days over 100 in the summer.

Best thing I've found is 100% cotton old school button up work shirts. I like Red Kap. Keep them unbuttoned when its gets unbearably hot.

Alot of jobs wont let you wear shorts. Look for utility style work pants made out of lighter fabrics. Tractor Supply has a nice pair of lightweight work pants under the Blue Mountain brand. Less than $20 per pair

Stay away from anything that's polyester blend.

Straw hat whenever possible and a big bandana to wipe sweat.

Lots of water. Go ahead and buy a water cooler because bottles get expensive and constantly having to pick up empties around a job site is a pain. Especially on windy days.

Stay off roofs and out of attics if at all possible during July and August!
alright ill keep an eye out for the cotton shirts, ill try and get to a tractor supply sometime soon.

would a bucket/fishing hat work aswell?

i intend on getting a good tumbler because i know theres jugs on the site.

i also doubt ill have to be on roofs/in attics, im probably gonna be inside of freshly framed buildings

As long as its vented it should.

If you have a uniform supply cotton shirts won't be a problem. Everything Wal Mart has under the Dickies brand is polyester blend and will literally cook you in the sun
alright for sure. i looked on tractor supply’s website and found the canvas work pants (on sale for $12.99) i tried looking on amazon for the work shirts you recommended but could only find polyester

This thread is a goldmine.

To sort of bring it back on topic, is there any budget or maybe sub-$200 fixed blade people would recommend? Are the Bradford Guardian knives good for this sort of work, I've been eyeing them.

To sort of bring it back on topic, is there any budget or maybe sub-$200 fixed blade people would recommend? Are the Bradford Guardian knives good for this sort of work, I've been eyeing them.
i was recommended the izula ii, looks pretty promising and only $80

im definitely curious about the guardians though

The Guardian's are awesome. The Izula is great too. The Guardians have a higher end steel, the Izula II has a great warranty and is tough and easy to sharpen. I'm gonna make your decision even more difficult by throwing this out there. It is my favorite small fixed blade: https://www.bladehq.com/item--White-River-M1-Backpacker-Pro-Fixed--85351
made it the same considering its out of stock i definitely like the guardian (especially because it comes in CF too ‍♂️)

The Izula is a nice knife but it got stuck between being a bit small in use, yet a bit large for on-person EDC/deep concealment. Also, as a motorcyclist with the risk of a violent tumble, I just can't get comfortable knowing fixed blades are stronger then their own sheaths (not to mention retention worries). I've moved on to hard-use folders and AIWB carry, which for me, seems to be the best compromise between deep concealment, easy access, weightlessness, safety, and forget-it's-there comfort.

46752798171_aa9cca9db5_z.jpg

made it the same considering its out of stock i definitely like the guardian (especially because it comes in CF too ‍♂️)
I am certain it is in stock some places, but in any case, you will not be disappointed with the Guardian.

Having worked in the home construction industry for over 20 years now I would not recommend an expensive folder. I enjoy a quality folding knife as much as anyone but if you spend your day cutting open bags of pea gravel and cutting the strapping off bundled goods you will learn a whole new type of cringe. Get a few nice cheaper knives to carry like the previously mentioned Rat1 or any of the cold steel budget line then find out what you will actually be using your knife for. Lumber is either strapped with heavy steel banding or fiberglass reinforced plastic banding and I haven't ever seen drywall banded or strapped because it would be damaged. You will open many boxes, most cannot be opened with a box cutter much less a longer blade due to chance of knicking the contents. I have always found it better to have a few to rotate because there will be plenty of days you will horribly dull your knife and be too tired at the end of the day to sharpen it for tomorrow. Also edge holding off a good steel doesn't matter much it what you are cutting has enough grit and sand/concrete on it to dull Excalibur.

This is a lot of good information.
I worked home construction years ago. A strong cheap knife with decent steel is the way to go. Nothing extra.
I would recommend the Ontario Rat1 with d2 steel, or the CS Voyager with aus10 steel.

alright for sure. i looked on tractor supply’s website and found the canvas work pants (on sale for $12.99) i tried looking on amazon for the work shirts you recommended but could only find polyester

Type "Red Kap 100% cotton" into google. They are kind of hard to find but out there if you look.

Carhartt makes 100% cotton button up shirts but kind of expensive

Type "Red Kap 100% cotton" into google. They are kind of hard to find but out there if you look.

Carhartt makes 100% cotton button up shirts but kind of expensive
sounds good, for both the pants and the shirt how many sizes up should i buy? considering theyre 100% cotton theyre bound to shrink.

Never knew there were so many contractors here. I am, too. Started in the trades in '72, and have had my own outfit for almost 40.

I have always work for or have been a general contractor. To me, I don't and won't use a fixed blade on the job site on a daily basis. First, there are so many good options for folders, I don't want to have a knife hanging off my belt of my tool bags (I still work on occasion with the guys). In my maintenance work, we work in occupied spaces and I don't want any commentary on someone carrying a knife. Second, more structured sites will not allow anything that could be construed as a weapon (remember a few years ago when hijackers used box cutters...) to be displayed. Third, as long as I have worked in construction I have never quit being amazed at how fast tools (especially an attractive one like a cool knife) grow legs. If I drop my tool bags and run to the lumberyard, I want my stuff to be in the bag when I get back, and I don't even want my knives borrowed.

Personally, I have never needed a fixed blade. With utility knives and sharp blades, recip saws, circular saws, oscillating saws, etc. all at my finger tips it is easy to only lightly mistreat a knife as heavy cutting chores are more easily handled by the correct tool.

I like the suggestions from the guys for good quality knives you can rely on that do a good job on site. The ZT350 is indeed a winner (and then some), and when I got my RAT1 I used it for nearly 3 years non stop since I was so happy with it. Plenty of handle, just the right amount of blade, and if desperate I can put a rough edge in it with a piece of wet-n-dry sandpaper. Despite all the variety of chores, and cleanup to remove caulk, tar, adhesives, etc. with charcoal lighter fluid, my ZT and RAT are still locking up tight.

Buy a knife that could get torn up (wait until you see what you will be doing with it) and then make a decision to get something better if you want. I still like a good, inexpensive knife in my rotation lineup ready for some real work, one that I won't get bent if something happens to it. Nothing beats that sickening feeling of tearing up that mirror finish, foil thin-razor edge when cutting cardboard and you hit a large, hidden staple. Your blade looks like Alfred E. Neuman's smile...

Robert

Couldn't help notice that this is OP's first job and he's already owned $150 & $250 knives. Pretty cool that a young guy appreciates good knives but got to admit that when I was 20 (long ago) a $50 knife was so much money it didn't exist. Lots of good suggests here for decent budget hard working knives and alternatives from guys on the job. The Rat1D2 knives for under $50 look hard to beat, get 2 and a decent sharpening system.

Best of luck on the new job!

Never knew there were so many contractors here. I am, too. Started in the trades in '72, and have had my own outfit for almost 40.

I have always work for or have been a general contractor. To me, I don't and won't use a fixed blade on the job site on a daily basis. First, there are so many good options for folders, I don't want to have a knife hanging off my belt of my tool bags (I still work on occasion with the guys). In my maintenance work, we work in occupied spaces and I don't want any commentary on someone carrying a knife. Second, more structured sites will not allow anything that could be construed as a weapon (remember a few years ago when hijackers used box cutters...) to be displayed. Third, as long as I have worked in construction I have never quit being amazed at how fast tools (especially an attractive one like a cool knife) grow legs. If I drop my tool bags and run to the lumberyard, I want my stuff to be in the bag when I get back, and I don't even want my knives borrowed.

Personally, I have never needed a fixed blade. With utility knives and sharp blades, recip saws, circular saws, oscillating saws, etc. all at my finger tips it is easy to only lightly mistreat a knife as heavy cutting chores are more easily handled by the correct tool.

I like the suggestions from the guys for good quality knives you can rely on that do a good job on site. The ZT350 is indeed a winner (and then some), and when I got my RAT1 I used it for nearly 3 years non stop since I was so happy with it. Plenty of handle, just the right amount of blade, and if desperate I can put a rough edge in it with a piece of wet-n-dry sandpaper. Despite all the variety of chores, and cleanup to remove caulk, tar, adhesives, etc. with charcoal lighter fluid, my ZT and RAT are still locking up tight.

Buy a knife that could get torn up (wait until you see what you will be doing with it) and then make a decision to get something better if you want. I still like a good, inexpensive knife in my rotation lineup ready for some real work, one that I won't get bent if something happens to it. Nothing beats that sickening feeling of tearing up that mirror finish, foil thin-razor edge when cutting cardboard and you hit a large, hidden staple. Your blade looks like Alfred E. Neuman's smile...

Robert

All excellent points. I use my work knife hard when I am the one using it. the first time one of my guys asks to borrow my knife they get a cheap beater I got at a trade show to use. It's of Chinese origin but surprisingly well made. Lock up is great for a frame lock. Aluminum frame that had a pump manufacturer's name on it once upon a time before I scratched off. Really, the only hang ups for me using it is that the steel is mystery garbage and it has an aggressive combo edge.

Perfect for the guys to drag against a piece of steel as they cut some tape.

I think every contractor has a couple of prized "good" tools to personally lean on when need be and a mess of disposable ones that will end up lost, walk off, or end used like a hammer regardless of what its intended role is by the employees.

Couldn't help notice that this is OP's first job and he's already owned $150 & $250 knives. Pretty cool that a young guy appreciates good knives but got to admit that when I was 20 (long ago) a $50 knife was so much money it didn't exist. Lots of good suggests here for decent budget hard working knives and alternatives from guys on the job. The Rat1D2 knives for under $50 look hard to beat, get 2 and a decent sharpening system.

Best of luck on the new job!
yeah, ive loved knives ever since i was about 13 and discovered cutlerylover on youtube and became obsessed with spydercos. later that year i saved money and bought a PM2. then 4 years later i discovered ZT’s and became obsessed with them. i bought myself a 0652cf and my dad a spyder PM3 at the same time. its extremely hard trying to rationalize spending that much money on pocket knives to people who just don’t understand

Back