Help finding the right SAK

I just went through a little SAK phase myself and ended up getting a hiker, tinker and spartan. I found the SAKwiki (http://www.sakwiki.com/) to be an incredible help. I wanted to explore what I could get in a particular size or what I'd get going one layer more or less. The way it's organized makes that very easy and kind of fun.

Great call on the Cadet. You'll definitely feel it's thinner and lighter than the Tinker. No doubt about it. Frankly, the Bantam is too thin for a lot of people. You'll have more functionality with the Cadet as well. You'll like it. I'm confident about that. The Cadet is perfection. The only reason I didn't suggest it earlier is I thought the 3 1/2" length was a hard requirement for you.

+1 The Cadet would be my choice for a lighter knife, the Pioneer if I needed something a bit beefier.

Wish i knew about the sakwiki earlier, my head was spining there for a while.

The other thing i liked was that for most models you get thickness and weight so you get a good sense of how it compares to what you have

I edc either the bantam, or the rancher. Love the hawkbill on the rancher for opening boxes, plastic clamshell packs, etc, and the whole thing is stout as heck. Much less pocket presence than the 3 layer alox models (which I carry in the woods).
The plastic bantam is very thin and lightweight, good chino or khakis knife, big enough blade to do some real work.

I'm looking at the Swissarmy Knives sites and my head is spinning, so many to look at.
I want one with few blades and tools(four max, less best), for a thin handle thickness.
3 1/2" handle....(longer might be ok)

I have an old Tinker(I think?), it's too thick.

Thanks

Have you thought about carrying your SAK in a belt pouch. You can go with more tools, and it leaves room in your pockets. I usually have a Farmer in my front pocket of my jeans and a Leatherman Wave on a belt pouch. This is my EDC setup. This usually gets me though anything I need all day. I reach for the Leatherman first, but I like having my trusty Farmer ready to go. Basically I carry it because I always have since buying it 4-5 years ago.
I should state that I am used to having tool bags on all day, or sometimes just a tape measure and a hammer loop on the belt.
If I am going to wear the tool bags all day, I take off the belt pouch and just go with the Farmer.

I've been EDCing the Sportsman for a couple of months now. Other favorite EDCers are the Bantam, Waiter, Tourist, Cadet, and Recruit.

Back