Help Identifying Old Axe Head

rileybassman1

Gold Member
Hello all,

This is my first post in the axe section, but I have been a lurker for awhile:)
I am just getting in to axe restoration, and picked up an old axe head with no makers mark that I am restoring.
I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to the maker and approx age.

new_zps25250c9a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

PhotoChooser-3f3d8dd1-bb21-4ab3-9e36-7089b7704f83_zpsfdd0daeb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

PhotoChooser-45299a02-6c6e-47f9-a69e-23b56b66601a_zps5f527be2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have since removed most of the rust and there is no mark... any help is much appreciated!

Looks like its in good shape. I bet it looks nice with the rust removed. The ribs in the eye point to Kelly although I have seen them in a stamped Collins head too. Whatever it is, it is probably a good quality axe head that deserves a good restoration. Thanks for saving another rusty old tool.

No way to know for sure but Cedar's guess of it being a Kelly/True Temper is most likely correct. It's a good axe and hardly used. Sharpen it. Hang it. Use it. Love it.

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it. I am looking forward to finishing it:) I spent some time sanding it this morning and have had it in a vinegar bath all day. It seems pretty high quality. The vinegar bath exposed the temper line. I'll post pics when I get closer:)

As a side note, when I put the handle on, do I need to cut grooves for the grooves in the head or just force it on???

Any signs of paint? Sometimes the color of the paint can help identify a manufacturer, or time period. Kinda. Still not an exact science. I never cut grooves for the ridges in the eye, but you might need to modify the handle and remove material to accept the lugs that stick down below the head.

I do cut grooves for the ridges. At the factory they had a haft perfectly matched for the head and probably seated the head hydraulically. But at home you have to fit the haft to the head and that means repeatedly putting it on and taking it off until you get the fit you like. You gotta cut grooves to do that.

It's a lot less tapping if cut them yourself.

More tapping might well mean a better fit though. Especially towards the end, where the head is nearly seated where it "ought to be", it's extremely tight. I never have any problems with loosening even using semi green wood.

Here is the head thus far:
WP_20131206_002_zps0dc8e43a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WP_20131206_001_zps0e6aa438.jpg
[/URL][/IMG

WP_20131206_003_zpsae901206.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WP_20131206_005_zps27f20b11.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Seems to be turning out nice so far!

How is the edge looking... its pretty sharp, but should I lower the shoulders more, or will I loose toughness without much increase in performance?
Also, would you recommend sanding it as well or just keep it a user?

I had to register to say I just found a head that looks identical to that in my basement (its not mine, and I have only lived here a couple of years)
before mine went into the vinegar bath (which worked wonderfully) I could see that the Poll, top, bottom, to the cheek were painted red, then it had a vertical black stripe 1-2" wide.
does that help identify our axe?
My poll was used as a hammer, unlike yours which looks great, I plan to clean it up, hang it, and use it, I just hope I am not wasting my time on some harbor freight junk.

If yours is shaped like the one above - not just the outline - but has those convex cheeks, then it's probably a vintage axe not some Harbor Freight throwaway.

I dont have the eye to be able to tell any difference, let me get the rest of the handle drilled out.
Ill take some pictures like Riley did.

the color didnt show up on the camera.
10363378_10202825463050289_9061229730701949596_n.jpg

That's vintage. And a good axe. Great candidate for cleaning up with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder. That axe will have a wonderful patina under that rust.

That's vintage. And a good axe. Great candidate for cleaning up with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder. That axe will have a wonderful patina under that rust.

thats exciting, thank you! Is there anyway to know if we have the same manufacturer?
Does the color scheme help identify it?
Council Tool keeps coming up in my google searches, all of their stuff has a stamp mark though correct?

984079_10202834521756751_6054445592572082215_n.jpg

Back