1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help... Loctite

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by lionsden, Jul 12, 2018.

1. lionsden

lionsden Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Alright I know there on threads on the subject and I’ve read them. My dilemma is that my favorite knife which has an opening so powerful that blue loctite only lasts about 15-20 openings before loosening. I have red loctite but not sure if it’s worth putting on a pivot since it can be tough to heat in order to take apart the knife at a later date. I would like to hear any suggestions or maybe a push over the edge to just saying screw it (no pun intended) and just use the red.... thoughts?? Thank you in advance

2. Professor

Professor

Apr 6, 1999
    Blue should be doing the trick. Degrease with rubbing alcohol several times, allow drying time, and re-apply blue. Red means dead.

115Italian and mabrowns like this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Who needs a knife to open so quickly the pivot screw won't stay ?

In any case I'd make sure it's degreased ...ect before using the blue loctite and then I would probably switch to the red if it still loosens up.
    If that doesn't work I would get a different knife, maybe a lockback ;) :D

4. lionsden

Oct 17, 2012
    I did exactly what you suggested Professor and it just won’t hold. I have done this with over 50 knives and been fine. This one just doesn’t care and breaks loose. I know it sounds crazy but it’s a bastard. Maybe I should contact the maker, just hoping there might be another way.

5. lionsden

Oct 17, 2012
    Haha yeah it opens quick but it’s really the feeling and sound it makes that’s addicting. I’ll try the blue again and let it dry for a couple days instead of just the 24 hours it states. I’ll let you guys know what comes of it. Thanks for the replies

6. Professor

Professor

Apr 6, 1999
    Nah man, it doesn't sound crazy. Do what you gotta do short of red loctite, especially up to contacting the maker. When you go that route, adjustability becomes cumbersome. I understand completely that some designs are ballistic in nature and defeat blue loctite. Happens to me often in the firearms realm. Good luck my friend.

7. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    What knife is it?

8. jbmonkey

jbmonkey with special platinum powers Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I've had good luck with ptfe tape. seems to hold pivot in place for as long and better than blue locktite. maybe worth a try.

9. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    There's purple Loctite, don't know where it's at on the Loctite chart, I've used it before. You could try a small drop of clear nail polish or super glue to the frame/pivot screw to help bind it together. Maybe the screw isn't seating on the frame and causing it to become loose after a few flips.

10. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Weaker than blue if I understand correctly.

11. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I use red on some of my full Ti frame locks, on which blue or Teflon tape did not work.
    Don’t recommend it for synthetic handle knives and those with free spinning or soft pivot.
    Also, you need a driver with a thick handle for enough torque to break the bond.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  12. lionsden

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks Professor im gonna give it one more shot with the blue then I’ll contact the maker.

Yeah Bilbo is right purple is weaker, I may give pfte tape a try I’ve heard some good things about it.

Thank you all! No need to put the maker out there this is first one of the 4 Ive owned by him that does this and I’m basically positive it’s because of how aggressive/incredible the action is. We’ll see if I find a solution, if so I’ll post a vid so you guys will know what I did and how the knife operates.

13. lionsden

Oct 17, 2012
    Thanks miso, luckily if I do have to resort to red the torx is a t-30 so needless to say the handle on the wiha is thick. It’s a full ti frame, however it does have silver twill inlays which are pressed or glued in so not sure I’d want to heat them up

14. LEGION 12

LEGION 12

Jan 8, 2009

15. Glenn Goodlett

Glenn Goodlett Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2016
    I had a Hoback that always worked loose. Jake recommended red and it worked. Just a little, don't slather it on.

16. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    It is just harder to break the bond without heating.
    It is still possible to do it just with torque.
    I don't normally use any heat to disassemble them with red.
    Particularly, pivot with a cut out on female is easy to unscrew without heat.

You can heat it up slightly (in boiling hot water) and/or give it a light mechanical shock (light hammering on the torx driver butt).
    This would help to break the bond.

But again, consider it a last resort.

17. lionsden

Oct 17, 2012
    Great advice from you guys, definitely some ideas I’m gonna have to try. If Jake Hoback of all people said it may be ok to use a little red who am I to say it’s not worth it. Jake is a knowledgeable maker with a ton of experience. I am going to try the blue right now I’m letting the knife dry after cleaning it multiple times. Then I’ll give it a few days before messing with it. If that doesn’t work I’ll contact the maker and see how red loctite may or may not affect the warranty. Thanks again everyone. This is a solid informative thread and I appreciate the insight.

18. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    Come to think of it, my knives typically have Ti screws.
    I am wondering if Loctite or any common thread lockers work fine on Ti, which has inactive surface.
    Maybe that is why blue does not work well and that I can rather easily break red?

I need to test red on steel screws.

19. lionsden

Oct 17, 2012
    Good point that very may well be the reason. I didn’t even think of it but the knife I have probably has a ti pivot especially since it’s anodized

20. Glenn Goodlett

Glenn Goodlett Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Threadlockers all seem to work fine on stainless fasteners.

There are different grades of red as well. Avoid anything that says permanent.