1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me aquire a Chef Knife.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by FOG2, Dec 27, 2018.

1. FOG2

FOG2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2007
    I cook for a living and i'm a knife nut. For the past few years the lightly modified Mundail 10 inch x 2.25 cook/chef knife shown below has served me well.
    20181227_135408.jpg
    But I now would like to acquire something similar but in a better steel.
    Specs I would like in my new knife = at least the same length and width, but not opposed to longer and wider, Stainless steel and hopefully a wooden handle.
    The knife will be used daily but well cared for and will be used on Veggies and Boneless meats.
    A Laser type knife is intriguing to me but in truth the Mundail I am using is the best and most used knife I have experience with in kitchens. (Yes I know thats sad)
    If possible I would like for it to be made by one of the craftsman that frequent this subforum.
    My budget would be $300.00 so that might mean not a Custom knife but a production one.
    I haven't found a production knife in the specs I've spoken of tho.
    Let the hunt begin!

Eric J.S. likes this.
  2. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    While I don't own one, I think a Richmond (it's a large retailer's house brand name) 210mm Gyuto in BD1N would require hard look. Less than $100 and can currently be had with a "complimentary" bread knife. I'm never totally sue what vendors are okay to link to but you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

I have BD1N in a Yaxell Dragon Fire Asian and love it but I'm not sure it's what I'd choose to grind away with all day in a professional environment. Although, having said that, you might give one of their BD1N nakiri's a look. I'm experimenting with nakiris (home cook) and really warming up to the blade style for veggies and light meats like chicken breast and such.

EDIT: Sorry I missed the 10" or longer requirement. Not sure if they offer a longer one.

3. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    I need to research the production knives as I didn't see blade widths shown at 1st glance.

I do hope some of the makers here have or can make one for me. Altho I understand my budget may not allow it.

4. OldNavy

OldNavy

Sep 14, 2013
  5. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Look up @Eric J.S.

He makes some beautiful stuff that might be in your price range.

Eric J.S. likes this.
  6. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Robert Erickson likes this.
  7. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    IMG_0730.jpg
    Not too far out of your stated price range. AEB-L at 61, 250mm x 50mm+, Amboyna burl handle.

8. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Jdm. Very nice! The only box it doesn't tick is 2.25 or wider.

9. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    I recently purchased a relatively plain-looking 8-inch chef's knife from Joe Calton that I really love. I'm a steel snob, and this one came in 440C, which I have always held in contempt. But Joe is known for his use of simple steels with an excellent heat treat.

The knife has two big advantages: 1) very aggressive geometry (thin blade with something south of 0.008 inches for the edge width at the shoulders); and 2) a nice, comfortable and large handle. Those two qualities put all my "better" chef knives back in the block.

10. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    I've been looking at the Takeda 240mm Gyuto, it seems like what I want but the price is $380.00 which is more than a weeks pay for me and hard to pull the trigger on for that reason.
    Any more opinions?

11. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Hey, a lot of us go even older and "cheaper" with our steel. Stuff like AEB-L, the steel that you shave your face with. ;)

12. Seesteel

Jul 7, 2018

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  13. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    I've got a 260mm gyuto in 20CV that's ready for handle material which would be in the $350 range with some nice Rosewood or Cocobolo. But it has a 50mm heel height and is over your budge so it may not be what you're looking for.
    Good luck!

14. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks for the input everyone!
    I will be trying a knife that has approximately 2 in width heel soonish.
    And that may change my mind about widths.

15. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    FOG2 likes this.
  16. Seesteel

Jul 7, 2018

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  17. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
  18. FOG2

Nov 1, 2007
    Last evening I purchased a Shiro Kamo 240mm R2 Gyuto.
    The blade height seems to be 55 to 59 mm from the research Ive done and I requested the tallest they had.
    Sometime next week I should have it in hand and hopefully it will be what I've been wanting.

19. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    Why do you want the 2 -2.5" blade height?
    Tim