Help Me Choose....

mmmotorcycle

Captain Slow
Platinum Member
I'm looking to spend under $100 on a newer model that can accompany my new SE Dodo. I would like something that has a cutting edge between 2 3/4" and 3 1/2". Something light weight would be better since I won't be destroying the knife.

I'm thinking either a Mini-Manix or Para-Military. Both with a plain edge.
Mini-Manix can be found for cheaper and has better ergos in my opinion but is a pretty dense little tank.
Para-Military is a tad bit more expensive and the pocket clip rides a little high but will have smoother operation and a nicer feel in the pocket.

Which would you choose (or are there any other good options?) and why?

Thanks a bunch,

mmmotorcycle

I really like the Military, and when I handled the Para-Military, I loved that too. It's nice, slim, lightweight, and a real performer. I also tried the Mini-Manix and its ergonomics, for my hand at least, are second to none. I've never felt a better knife to my hand except for my Lil' Temperance---which is also a choice. If you can find one, I highly recommend you get that---nothing compares to that. I hope i helped. :D
**From www.botac.com , a government supply ship like Oso Grande Knives, in LA, a Lil' Temperance is exactly $90---I just looked it up. This is a hundred times better than the prices on eBay.

I'm with "jlfletcher83" the Delica or Endura in ZDP189(or VG10) will be lightweight, and cut anything the Dodo can cut and then some. The 4 way clip will let you carry it in any pocket.
I have an original Endura(G2 steel, plastic clip, no steel liners) that I have been carry 14+ years. I imagine a new Endura will last 3 times as long. :)
Let us know what you decide.

Blades

I already have a Delica so that option is already covered. You see once I handled the G-10 on the Dodo I realized how great it really is. So after that I would like to try another G-10 Spydie. If I can find a PE Lil' Temperance I'll be in heaven.

mmmotorcycle

Out of these two I would choose Mini Manix. I do not have either of these knives. I never liked Para. Last summer I was very close to buy Mini Manix, but in last minute I had opportunity to get Lil Temperance and Lil Temperance won. It is little more money, but knife is so perfect…………………
On my everyday life I prefer Caly3 and full size Persian. I my routine I do not need heavy-duty knife. I open packages, cut boxes, cut some food for lunch. To supplement Dodo out of my knives I would choose Persian because blade is longer, it is 3.5”, but Caly3 is also terrific.

I wish I knew specifically what you were going to use it for. There are a lot of Great Spyderco blades that meet that criteria. The Lil Temperance immediately comes to mind in that slot. But the 3 models you've mentioned are all quality blades for sure.

I personally love the big C-44 Dyad for many reasons. It is the most versatile cutting tool I've ever owned. In case you are not aware of the model it is Spyderco's only 2 bladed model to date. The big C-44 Dyad has one full sized fully serrated blade and one flat grind, plain edged blade that meets your criteria.

The Bob Lum Chinese model is another one that would fit that description. But again the 3 you mentioned would be hard to go wrong with.

IN CASE YOU MISSED THE LINK: www.botac.com ; it's a great knife, I think it's still in stock. You can't beat the blade, the ergos..it seems perfect for EDC. I have a trailing point PE and I love it. Forums and eBay are a last resort, but eBay at least will cost you over $100...however, I was lucky and that's exactly how much I got mine for :D.

If I could get my hands on a Dyad of any type I'd be very happy. I was thinking of the Lum but the lack of ergonomics scared me away.

mmmotorcycle

I didn't see the Temp' on their list. Is it there?

mmmotorcycle

IN CASE YOU MISSED THE LINK: www.botac.com ; it's a great knife, I think it's still in stock. You can't beat the blade, the ergos..it seems perfect for EDC. I have a trailing point PE and I love it. Forums and eBay are a last resort, but eBay at least will cost you over $100...however, I was lucky and that's exactly how much I got mine for :D.

Just a quick heads up.

You might want to search "The Good, Bad & Ugly" forum before dealing with Botac.

Bruceter

Bad? Sorry about the recommendation. It was there a couple seconds before I posted the stuff. Let me do so more looking..sorry..Thanks for the heads-up Bruceter..I almost bought a Bob Lum tanto from them..it would have been out of stock anyways..

Only other one is www.tacgear.com, in all styles it says, in stock..higher than what you want to spend at $150..if you think it's worth it (I do..mine is in my hand right know and it really is a truly great EDC)..again, sorry about the mix-up with botac..and if $150 is a premium keep looking on eBay; like i said, i found mine for $100 with shipping

If you can't find it, I myself am buying a Spyderco Yojimbo from www.savsonswordsandknives.com. That, I know (bought my Civilian and Military from him), is a reliable dealer in Loveland, Ohio. It's on sale there for $87 under Spyderco Closeouts--somebody told me about the price on the Yojimbo forum i posted not too long ago. Cutting edge of 2-7/8, real good ergos..a distant relative of the Lil Temp with a compression lock and all.

Thanks so much for the assistance steelscout30! At this rate I'll have one in a few months.

mmmotorcycle

The site osogrande doesn't seem to supply them:( . $150 isn't to much to spend but it won't happen anytime soon. Thanks again.

mmmotorcycle

That is ridiculous..it really sincerely pisses me off when sites don't supply what they have advertised..it happened to me with both a BG42 military and a plain-edge blue Dodo..try knifecenter ^^^..it's a well-known dealer, that's where I ordered my UKPK from..I will keep looking for you, too. Also, IF YOU COULDN'T FIND IT UNDER OSO GRANDE, LOOK UNDER CLOSE OUTS: IT MAY SAY SERRATED, BUT THERE's ANOTHER LINK THERE. GOOD LUCK, I HOPE YOU JUST MISSED IT.

Back