Help me with this knife design and build - Take 2

Yes it’s food safe.
All that a patina is, is “rust” thats not quite as aggressive.

Here is another update.

First let me say that it didn’t end up as per the original design, because I screwed up the plunges.

I got greedy and instead of just dressing them by hand on an aluminum block edge, which is what I usually do, I decided to hang the belt over the platen. Well, I put to much force and slid over the plunge, grinding into it :eek:.

But for the sake of finishing something and getting more practice under the belt, I decided to just go without the plunges, grind them off and just keep the same profile as the blade, just like a Katana cross section, I guess.

On the positive side, I got to practice grinding longitudinally under the contact wheel, which was cool. And of course, more practice on all other aspects as well.

So here are some pics, before sharpening it.

6103541.jpg

6103537.jpg

6103544.jpg

Thanks,
Constantin

I like the look of a nicely ground plunge line. It is sculptural and is one of many details that shows off the skill of the maker. But there is nothing at all wrong with a plungeless blade. Good for you for pressing forward to finish the knife. It looks well proportioned and well finished. Should make a fine user.

I like the look of a nicely ground plunge line. It is sculptural and is one of many details that shows off the skill of the maker. But there is nothing at all wrong with a plungeless blade. Good for you for pressing forward to finish the knife. It looks well proportioned and well finished. Should make a fine user.

Thank you.

I agree, I like the look of plange lines as well. This was a good experiment and got me some more practice. I’ll use it in the kitchen and see how it fairs in terms of geometry and I’m also curious about the patina it will develop over time.

The saving grace, there is always a next knife :). Hmm, what am I gonna do next? Maybe try this again, or a bowie. Will see.

And thank you all again for your precious help, such a great community!
I’m learning more with every build and this is so AWSOME!

Thanks again,
Constantin

Just curios, anybody likes plungeless knives? Of course, except kitchen style ones which makes sense to be that way because of the thin blade.

Thanks,
Constantin

Back