Help: SOG vs BusseCombat

I've spent quite a while looking at Busse's new Hell Razor, and can't bring myself to buy it due to the $287 pricetag (excluding the sheath). I recently happened upon reviews of the SOG Seal 2000 and was very impressed, but being as I am generally new to high-end knives, especially fixed blades, I was hoping to get some advice.

What are the pros and cons of each knife? Does the SEAL 2000 have a full tang, and is it really that important to have a full tang? Considering the SOG won the award from the Navy Seals, is there a particularly justifiable reason why the Busse knife is almost twice the price?

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Busse's new Hell Razor is how much? Its only .187" thick and it doesn't come with a sheath. I think you should get the seal 2000. Actually you could buy three of them for the same price.

Actually if you look in the sale forum you can get mine even cheaper than $100:D

Busse might be twice as good and have nicer handles etc. As the Seal is a top end knife I, for one couldn't make use of the difference. As I have ordered a Seal recently as it is particularly fit for the humid and fough environs where I will be working this year. Working profile 7" stainless, non reflective blade, practical handle will do me just fine.

xcaveman - I would consider Camp Tramp (or Ratweiler) from Swamp Rat
but only if you can wait long enough (which is same with Busse) :)

but , no one answered the question of whether or not the seal 2000 was full tang? i`ve wondered myself..

All the adds that I've read say it its a full tang but you know what would be kewl? if someone were an x-ray tech or knew someone who was then took a bunch of sog knives not just the Seal 2000 and took x-rays of them and pasted the on Blade Forum. That would be kewl.

If it is anything like my Tech II, it is full tang. With the Kraton you can tell where the tang is and it was definitelly all the way through, but hidden of course, kinda like the CS knives. My Tech II is heavier than my Seal 2000 though, but that could be because of the handle material being different and possibly lighter.

All SOG fixed blades are full tang. For weight issues and the ability to fit a handle, they do taper down, but are full thickness

XC,

I know nothing about Busse knives except that their reputation is superb.

But for the money, I'd say to go for the SEAL 2000 ..... and you get a sheath with it !! You can get 2 or 3 or 4 SEAL's for the price of that Busse, which means you won't feel so bad when it slips outta yer hand and ends up decorating the bottom of the ocean.

Cheers,

Carl

Decided to use a SEAL pup as the base for a project knife, and yes it is full tang. I've been grinding away at the handle forever trying to get it off! I have always hated the handle. If any of you don't like yours, you can easily reshape it by grinding. The material is actually very tough. I've ended up using a straight bit on a Dremel tool to melt it off. Definately not a clean process, but it'll work.

You might ask this to the guys in the Busse forum. In my honest opinion, the Hell Razor, or any Busse knife for that matter, for will outlast anything produced by any other manufacturer; and it's warrenty stands behind it. The Seal 2000 is a fine knife, but honestly it is like comparing a Lexus to a Bently, the difference is clear. Just my .02 :thumbup:

dpimpc said:
You might ask this to the guys in the Busse forum. In my honest opinion, the Hell Razor, or any Busse knife for that matter, for will outlast anything produced by any other manufacturer; and it's warrenty stands behind it. The Seal 2000 is a fine knife, but honestly it is like comparing a Lexus to a Bently, the difference is clear. Just my .02 :thumbup:

True, but we are talking two different price ranges here. If you can afford $300 knife then yes, but a seal 2000 can be had for under $100. And $100 seems to be the limmit for many people. A seal 2000 will do just fine as will a host of other knives in that range.

Also, availability. If you need one tomorrow because you will leave this weekend on a camping trip, you are not likely to get a Busse or a SRKW blade. But you can get a Sog or a Becker, etc. anywhere, including the local knife stores, or simply order it and you should have it before the weekend comes.

Also another point is that for the occasioal user, not kife enthusiast, a Stainless blade is a good way to go as they are less likely to care for their product.

As I quipped earlier. It is likely that the Busse is better made, but I wouldn't take either a Bently or a Busse to Lagos. Gotta work and work well, gotta be able to afford replacing it. I am hoping to get a Busse some time soon but it is going no where near Lagos, that is a sin.

I've been reading both threads with great interest, and I've got to give applause to both camps for making each thread (but for a couple of off color posts ;) ) a joy to read.

It all boils down to this, if your considering one blade, your not going to be interested in the other. The knives in in two different price ranges and each have their own specialities. The value on both knives is high as in the "bang for your buck" its hard to beat the SOG, and the Busse wont lose its value with time and use.

The sheath issue with the Busse knives is moot, theres several sheathmakers lurking on the site that are ready to work for you. Jerry didnt add the price for a sheath to his knives this run so the customer could choose what he wants to house them in. :)

In case your wondering, yep, I've got both. :D

leatherman said:
I've been reading both threads with great interest, and I've got to give applause to both camps for making each thread (but for a couple of off color posts ;) ) a joy to read.

It all boils down to this, if your considering one blade, your not going to be interested in the other. The knives in in two different price ranges and each have their own specialities. The value on both knives is high as in the "bang for your buck" its hard to beat the SOG, and the Busse wont lose its value with time and use.

The sheath issue with the Busse knives is moot, theres several sheathmakers lurking on the site that are ready to work for you. Jerry didnt add the price for a sheath to his knives this run so the customer could choose what he wants to house them in. :)

In case your wondering, yep, I've got both. :D

Get back to work mister. You need to be making my sheaths.:D

Leatherman makes an excellent point about Busse's "no sheath" decision, which is to say: a buyer must add the cost of the sheath.

So from my own admittedly "cheap ass" point of view, for the price of that sheath I just might be able to buy 1 more SEAL 2000 which includes a sheath.

Which of course launches another entirely related/unrelated thread: What if you don't like the sheath as provided by SOG ?? Then you're right back to Busse's "no sheath" decision, which would thusly be the right decision for him to make because his customer wants the option of choosing his own sheath.

Ah, the enjoyment of The Chase !!!!

Cheers,

Carl

I have Busse and SOG.
As a few people have said, they are not likely to "eat" into each others' market. The Busse knives are ultimate tools, incredibly tough, and backed unconditionally. I have talked to Jerry Busse many times, and he has no issue with SOG. The issue arises (as always):

What is the intended use?

Look on the exchange and you will see far more Busse knives for sale than SOG, of which most brand new, unused (prices seldom go down on Busse knives). 90% of owners will never use the full potential of their knives. Those that do... well, I've heard stories!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

The SOG SEAL will do what most people will need it to, at a price more can afford. ;)

So... what do you need it to do? :confused:

Bobby B said:
I have Busse and SOG.

So... what do you need it to do? :confused:
I just did this today........
nnf_faintthud1.gif

SHehood1.jpg

Thats the hood off our toyota, darn things are a lot tougher than I thought! :eek: I looked at my carbon Tigershark ........... and I just couldnt do it.:eek: Some knives are built for abuse, and some are built for slicing, and some are just too pretty to go slamming through a car hood! :p

In short, yea, I'm hard on my tools, its why I buy Craftsman hand tools and the best knives that I can afford be it SOG, Busse, Swamp Rat, etc etc. If one breaks under use I wont go back to that company. And theres a fairly long list of companies that dont cut it.:D :p :D

Speaking of sticking Busses into something... send me an e-mail with your contact info again... there's a certain SH that still needs a leather jacket...:cool:

BTW what did the Toyota ever do to you?:eek:

Back