Help Us Build a Vantage! (Knife Giveaway)

Choose the best configuration!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I went with M390 for the blade. I think satin or DLC would be nice. As for the scale material, I went with the CF, but I would be equally happy with micarta.

Would the scales be entirely Ironwood, or Ironwood inserts set into the plastic like the current Vantage’s?

^^^Would hafta be entirely ironwood for me to go for it. I hate the plastic insert scales on the latest models -- and I refuse to buy one. Worst thing Buck has done to a knife in some time.

^^^Would hafta be entirely ironwood for me to go for it. I hate the plastic insert scales on the latest models -- and I refuse to buy one. Worst thing Buck has done to a knife in some time.
I think the worst thing is the use of drive pins instead of screws on the newer Vantages the plastic comes in second :D

A Vantage needs to be carried some, so price needs to be decent. I went Ironwood and satin s30 for price considerations.

If you combine C.F. options, it's clearly on top at the moment, just split 50/50 on who prefers marbled vs lightening strike...

I'm actually on the verge of simply buying an avid to swap handles with my pro so I can have the joy of wood with upgraded steel, and I'll give the g10/420hc hybrid to a friend.

In any case, whichever direction this build goes, I definitely would love love love to see a much improved flipping action; better detent on better washers alone would improve the vantage 10-fold in my opinion, which is saying a lot as it is already a great knife imo.

Another suggestion, could we possibly get anodized Ti liners and clip w/ c.f. scales, for an ultra lightweight?
(and steel, say m390 as it is well in the lead, personally I'd rather see the American sourced version from Carpenter; cts-204p: being a Buck, U.S. sourced steel just seems more appropriate)

Last edited:
Oh, and PLEASE: No hollow grind on the blade. Would love to see a sabre grind.

This would certainly be interesting. Even a fully flat ground vantage would be quite intriguing to say the least.

I see many opted to vote for options to help keep costs down because the vantage is a "budget friendly edc", but I'm in the opposite camp, whereas I feel there are already multiple budget friendly edc vantage options, I want a new special edition to be truly as special as possible.
I'd love to see what a 100% premium upgraded version would be like in comparison; Ti, detent, washers, grind, steel, AND handle, upgrade it all the way around.

LS C.F. w/ ELMAX were my votes btw, however
Marbled C.F. w/ an American sourced equivalent of m390 would be my strong 2nd choices.

Last edited:
This would certainly be interesting. Even a fully flat ground vantage would be quite intriguing to say the least.

I see many opted to vote for options to help keep costs down because the vantage is a "budget friendly edc", but I'm in the opposite camp, whereas I feel there are already multiple budget friendly edc vantage options, I want a new special edition to be truly as special as possible.
I'd love to see what a 100% premium upgraded version would be like in comparison; Ti, detent, washers, grind, steel, AND handle, upgrade it all the way around.

LS C.F. w/ ELMAX were my votes btw, however
Marbled C.F. w/ an American sourced equivalent of m390 would be my strong 2nd choices.

This is my kind of comment! Wholeheartedly agree.

As I have said in the past, I vote on production knife design and materials by my non-purchase. I will do the same for a Vantage that costs a arm and leg. If your just going to order 200 then the market is likely there for high end materials. If you want to sell 1,000, from my BCCI experience of selling (or in not selling) club knives, making too many high end versions means some will be in someone's store room for a spell. They just about couldn't sell 300 high end 301's. We had to let non-members buy them to pay off the costs. I will state you likely will never see a high end BCCI 300 in the future. For several years we have offered club knives at the Blade Show to anyone who walks up and still they haven't sold out. These were limited editions. I think we have learned the lesson of not making too many club knives to sell. Yes, that talk is about club knives but the purchase of any limited edition still applies. The more expensive a knife the more you are only selling to a certain level of limited numbers of collectors. This applies to Buck, BCCI and even SK... Buck made the Vantage a 'everymans' knife. Some with upgrades would be attractive but either don't outprice or over order the client base..........300Bucks

Last edited:
I voted for 390 and marble CF.
I'd like to see a deep gray cerakote blade and I assume serrations are out.

As I have said in the past, I vote on production knife design and materials by my non-purchase. I will do the same for a Vantage that costs a arm and leg. If your just going to order 200 then the market is likely there for high end materials. If you want to sell 1,000, from my BCCI experience of selling (or in not selling) club knives, making too many high end versions means some will be in someone's store room for a spell. They just about couldn't sell 300 high end 301's. We had to let non-members buy them to pay off the costs. I will state you likely will never see a high end BCCI 300 in the future. For several years we have offered club knives at the Blade Show to anyone who walks up and still they haven't sold out. These were limited editions. I think we have learned the lesson of not making too many club knives to sell. Yes, that talk is about club knives but the purchase of any limited edition still applies. The more expensive a knife the more you are only selling to a certain level of limited numbers of collectors. This applies to Buck, BCCI and even SK... Buck made the Vantage a 'everymans' knife. Some with upgrades would be attractive but either don't outprice or over order the client base..........300Bucks
Totally agree.

They have G10 and other options available. Cant knock the plastic too much on a 25 dollar knife.

I think the worst thing is the use of drive pins instead of screws on the newer Vantages the plastic comes in second :D
Are you talking about under the scales? All of mine use screws.

Are you talking about under the scales? All of mine use screws.
Yes ,the current Vantages don't have screws under the scales and they also have the plastic surrounding the scales which to me doesn't look as nice with some of the different color scales . It's just my opinion so don't let it bother you to much :p most of mine are older and have the screws and I prefer them :D
IMG_0965.JPG
The plastic looks fine with the black G10 not sure of other colors?

Last edited:
Back