1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Help Us Build a Vantage! (Knife Giveaway)

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by skblades, Nov 13, 2017.

Choose the best configuration!

Poll closed Jan 8, 2018.
  1. Blade Steel: S30V

15.3%
  2. Blade Steel: S35VN

21.6%
  3. Blade Steel: S90V

21.6%
  4. Blade Steel: M390

45.0%
  5. Blade Steel: Elmax

14.4%
  6. Handles: Ironwood

34.2%
  7. Handles: Lightning Strike Carbon Fiber

21.6%
  8. Handles: Micarta (What color?)

34.2%
  9. Handles: G10 (What color?)

9.0%
  10. Handles: Marbled Carbon Fiber

18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Weird, I didnt see the new ones were different. I dont care for that. Here is a pic of my Vantages and only the one has plastic. The pro's are different back then, I was going to list the two black Pro Series from 2013 but I think Ill keep them now.

[​IMG]

2. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    More than likely your 346 has drive pins as well

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  3. Xr6x

Sep 17, 2015
    Some other colors and materials of the past .
    IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0969.JPG

DRLyman, jbmonkey, Topgear9 and 2 others like this.
  4. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    My favorite version was the small Avid in Diamondwood. I sure would like them to bring back the Sandvik steel.

Xr6x likes this.
  5. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
  6. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    yeah im with y'all on the older screwed construction over the pinned. especially the wood version.

Xr6x likes this.
  7. MT_Pokt

MT_Pokt Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Just to be clear; we're talking about the liners being pinned rather than screwed on the newer ones, not the scales themselves, right?

8. Xr6x

Sep 17, 2015
    Right :)

9. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    love that the battle of poll democracy had tied up scales between ironwood and micarta. least as i post this...likely change and a leader will develop. fun to watch it run its course.

im gonna take this chance to beat a dead horse, ive been beating since 2011....can buck stretch this out a bit to maybe 3.5". i know boker stretched out their kali auto for a dealer special and made a xl at hardly any price increase. as one example of many done before. so while im not a manufacturer ive seen it done so it can be done and cant add much in setup cost due to examples ive seen over the years.

so who here would like a 3.5" + blade version as a special run? am i the only one? if ya wouldnt want a little bit bigger one is it due to laws for owning, carry and use etc and not so much cause its too big....or? thanks.

10. Xr6x

Sep 17, 2015
    I think a 3.5" + would be great . I also would like the same bearing setup the Marksman has :D why not make the Vantage the best it can be :thumbsup:

Roamad and jbmonkey like this.
  11. K-Lastima

K-Lastima

Jul 2, 2009
    M390 with a yellow cerakote blade and chisel grind.
    Red ironwood scales.
    And a gold plated pocket clip for added bling.
    That would be unique.

12. Frisky

Frisky

Dec 1, 2010
    I'd like to see a Vantage in M390 and ironwood. However, red G10 would make for a great hunting folder!

Joe

13. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I would like to see a 3.5" blade as well. DM

Xr6x and jbmonkey like this.
  14. Lodd

Lodd Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2015
    I voted M390 (because I hear nothing but good things and I've been dying to give it a try) and Ironwood (because it's classy).

Maybe you could do some kind of light texturing in the handles. (Like the EKA swede 8 has, for example).

Edit: Oh yeah, also improve the action by improving the washers/bearings.

Edit 2: Forgot to add a finish. Stonewashed would look best, I think.

Xr6x likes this.
  15. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Doesn't the larger Vantage have a 3.5" blade?

16. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    nope. 3.25". that extra bit of length takes the large vantage from okay to much more usable. id prefer 3.75" or 4" but at 3.5 or 3.6 it becomes a very usable knife, so i can live with that.

BuckShack, Xr6x and Roamad like this.
  17. dryflytrout

dryflytrout

Jan 15, 2017
    M390
    Micarta (flat dark earth)
    DLC

18. Takoma

Takoma

Dec 30, 2016
    S35VN, cerakoted (Brown would be cool) with a blaze orange G 10 handle for recovery in the woods! Count me in!

Makael likes this.
  19. skblades

skblades Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Dec 1, 2015
    This is something I consider quite seriously with our knives. I would like to think that we've brought premium models out for more affordable prices with our projects. I like the idea of premium but affordable. I don't think we are going to alter that model, and sales say that we are on to something. We wouldn't release a Vantage that would cost an "arm and a leg". I'd like to think we haven't done any like that! :) Your insight is valuable information, so thanks for posting.

revnewk, Makael and Roamad like this.
  20. rmfromm

rmfromm Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 11, 2010
    S90V satin finish and marbled carbon fiber