Help! What shaving razor do you use?

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Low_rez, Oct 26, 2018.

1. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Dry shaving would be the very last resort for me. Even plain water is better than nothing.

2. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Yes^. Take the time to do it half way right and you'll get better results. DM

3. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I started shaving almost sixty years ago with a Gilette safety razor & blue blades. It was either that or a straight razor, so I went with the modern approach. Over the years I went through all the evolutions from double edge, to injector, to cartridge razors, and even tried an electric razor for a couple days. I've been back with a safety razor for about 15 or 20 years now.

Shaving, for me is not some sort of existential experience to be enjoyed. It's simply a chore I have to put up with in order to keep the hair scraped off my face, because I could never stand having a beard. I've found that task to be accomplished most efficiently, and with minimal blood loss, using a long handle Merkur, Feather blades, and Creamo cream.

4. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    @Ironbut , I don't theorize about shaving and its not a drudgery. Its a good experience for me. I may not look forward to it but I enjoy a good close shave. I went thru the same pattern as you. Using a straight I had to be too careful. Using a double edge helps it go much faster. I really like using my Rolls Razor too. I use Feather blades as well. The blade I'm using now is a year old. Yes I sharpen it. Which gives me some satisfaction on a good shave. This is not for everyone. But I enjoy it. I've found some Feather blades have problems. DM

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020 at 8:58 AM