1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! What shaving razor do you use?

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Low_rez, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Low_rez

Low_rez Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2011
    So being in this hobby, I have learned all about steels and how to sharpen them. I have also used that knowledge to realize the companies like Gillette are robing us for a pack of 5 Fusion shaving razor heads! I just saw a new intriguing company called Supply that offers a single edge razor with 3 levels of close shave. I have a straight razor but find that they are not a good combo with being tired and sleepy in the morning along with rushing to get ready for work. Bleeding on the subway does not work for me or my fellow commuters, I have tried it. What do you recommend to use as an alternative to the expensive brands like Gillette that you have used and trust?

2. SharpieB

SharpieB Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Fusion here. Those stupid $5 blades are what my face is used to and I can’t switch as everything else shreds my face.

I bought a Harry’s razor and after one shave, I looked like Freddy Kruger. Ended up giving the razor and a bunch of blades away.

Low_rez likes this.
  3. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    LMAO! You gonna shave your legs with that thing?

jbmonkey and Low_rez like this.
  4. clockman

clockman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2009
    There's a forum on BF.....called razors, scissors. and personal grooming. You might get better response to your question.

I use a Murker slant bar double edge with Astra blades. By Far the best and closest shave I've ever had!

Low_rez likes this.
  5. number9

number9

Mar 5, 2017
    Harry's razor, VanDerHagen badger brush, Col Conk's soap.

Low_rez likes this.
  6. HEMI 49

HEMI 49

Aug 9, 2018
    I use a new version of the Muhle R41 "Razor of Death"...……. I use various blades, but find ones made in St. Petersburg Russia are invariably good...…..

Low_rez likes this.
  7. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    Granddad's 1968 Gillette safety razor. Badger brush. Pack of 100 blades...$12. Shaving cream...homemade. Saving hundreds per year.

8. HSC ///

HSC /// KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 7, 2012
    Edwin Jagger by Solingen straight razor to do the first pass with and get the heavy stuff off. Dovo Shavette also works well
    then I finish with $5 Fusion...however this way the $5 Fusion lasts forever.
    I spend almost nothing on replacement blades annually,.
    I do use Truefitt and Hill shaving cream, expensive but you use so little with a brush it also lasts forever.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Low_rez likes this.
  9. Low_rez

Mar 15, 2011
    So you obviously think it is sexy too! Great idea! I would like to trust it to shave my girlfriend's legs while in the tub as well!

Blues Bender likes this.
  10. Low_rez

Mar 15, 2011
    Thank you for the advice. I plan to check all of them out.

11. Low_rez

Mar 15, 2011
    What blades work for you?

12. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades. You use em, flip em over & continue. Then you can even strop em. $ I save turns into more knives.

I'm kidding myself. Knife purchases = broke, living on ramen noodles.

MAMA tom yum shrimp! *sigh*

13. Low_rez

Mar 15, 2011
    Thanks! Been here a while but never noticed the category.

14. Low_rez

Mar 15, 2011

There is no shame in eating ramen while knife shopping. Just sayin.

15. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz

Aug 15, 2016
    You sir are a gentleman! Dilly dilly!

16. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    0D836FCC-FFB6-431A-83B2-B3B5CC4C1345.jpeg

17. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    None.

I quit shaving in 1972 or 1973. :)

Jody744, RBid and ScooterG like this.
  18. oldtymer

oldtymer Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Gillette Adjustable I've had since 1964- Mekur or Wilkinson blades

19. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    First off, I have a BEARD. It’s not long, because my shit grows in straight, so I can’t go full Leonidas with it. But, whatever. I have a lady who I like to make the fun times with, so I do line it up and shave below my jaw to stay sleek and clean looking. That wows her. She likes it.

To maintain this rugged, yet sophisticated look (it’s basically the Sebenza of facial hair. Refined. Tight tolerances. Capable), I shave with .14” thick, hollow ground S35VN, 15 degrees per side, 17 degree micro bevel, NO SHAVE GEL BECAUSE I’M ALL MAN, BABY!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I mean, I use dollar shave club. Check them out.

20. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210

Apr 7, 2015
    Schick Hydro 5. Switched to this after getting tired of paying Gillette prices. Quite honestly fell in love with it instantly. That with a little bit of Nivea sensitive shaving gel and I can get a clean shave in 30 seconds with no cuts or razor burns.

pikemaster11 likes this.