HELP- What's REALLY practical for military use?

Thanks - I'm definately going to start with one of the high-end multi-tools and I like the idea of a light (I'm a retired cop and I can't tell you how many times during a day tour you enter a dark place and that multi-cell mag-light was sitting back in the car). I'll talk to him about what his unit will allow in a fixed blade and see how that fits the many suggestions. Again - thanks to all and for sharing your insights and wisdom! I just hope his only use is opening a ration box!

If I may suggest one last thing for the lighting equipment: an Inova 24/7 (now available in OD green), it's small and very well designed for an all-around light (I'm planning to get one myself to go along with my Led Lenser V2), of course it's not a "tactical" light but I think this may have lots of applications on the field. This along a surefire should cover the whole spectrum of his needs...

Xavier.

Lobo103 said:
I just seperated from the military myself. The most bang for the buck your going to get in a using knife IMO is a Cold Steel SRK. That along w/ a Gerber Multi-plier and quality folder.

DITTO to Lobo's suggestions. It's exactly the same setup that I have. I have no military background or future, but it's hard to beat the SRK for a medium combat/survival knife that doesn't cost a fortune, and the Gerber Multi-plier has been an indispensable tool for me for over ten years. Those two items with a Kershaw, Spyderco, or CRKT folder would server just about any purpose not involving bushwacking through the jungle. Just my humble noob $.02.

I've got an original Leatherman tool, a cheap $20 Gerber Profile that's slim and light, and a Strider GB folder. In order of overall usage:

Leatherman
Strider GB
Cheap Gerber that's only seen the light of day when I play with it.

I also have a new FS HAK that's pretty damn cool, I gotta e-mail her back and say a big THANK YOU! For what it's worth, I'm ditching the Gerber for this HAK. A big honkin' knife makes you look cool though. I'm sure that some people will need blades that are 7"+, but most really don't. I realized that the older guys are right, even though it's pretty damn obvious advice, you just need something to cut with and there's alot of trash lying around that can make a better 2 second prybar. And so on with the old "if you have to resort to your knife" kinda thing. The GB is plenty big enough IMHO.

Multi-tool, multi-tool, multi-tool....repeat, and buy.;)

Wow, my first post in a while! :D

Ditto Red-Label and Lobo.....we just saw the neighbors son off for round two in the "Sand Box". This time he only took a Schrade muli-tool, a BM Griptilian.....and a Cold Steel SRK "second". Says he won't really need the fixed blade but wants to have it over there with him any way. He's deployed in an urban environment....plenty of stuff lying around for makeshfit prying and such he says. My best thoughts go out to all of our service men and women....everywhere.
PS : good small flahlight with spare bulbs makes sense......that's what I sent the neighbors boy for the Holidays.

-Regards

As others have said, a good multitool is a must.

If you are going to get him a fixed blade knife, I think it's ridiculous to get one that is more than $100. If you're wealthy, sure, go for the $300 Strider that he might lose or get stolen.

Flashlights - I'd recommend the Inova Tactical series. Of course the Surefire lights are more durable BUT they have a very short battery life and unless you're going to be sending him 123A batteries every month, I wouldn't recommend getting him one. The X5 is also pretty good.

Warthog

Warthog brought up another point, unless you can lug it with you ALL the time and not check it in anywhere, remember two things:

Reasonably cheap
Easily replaceable

Who really knows how many things get "borrowed"...

I still like Striders. :D

Oh, I know how many things get "borrowed", especially very nice things such as a good knife. I'd be sleeping with that thing on my belt...well, I probably would anyway, or at least under my pillow:p

I'm not totally against getting a Strider personally because I never lose anything - keys, knives, nothing. I simply don't lose track of my stuff:p. Just depends how you are.

Warthog

Warthog, Oh hell yea! Some people are natural kleptos though...

I remember one guy that always seemed to have a TON of the IPFU Short sleeve T-Shirts in sizes small to large for some reason... :confused:

You know those who said leatherman have no idea how right they are. a good multitool is a god send seriously. Fighting knife wise you get him something to big and hairy the other grunts will laugh at him. Trust me we found ways to bag on each other like you won't believe and big crazy rambo knives out in the bush is a sure fire way to get bagged on :)

I keep seeing the cold steel recon bowie and thinking damn wish I had had that. Kabars are always appreciated

Warning believe it or not even in combat some COs get a bit hinky when a grunt carries some big heinous rambo knife they are sticklers for regs and some don't care.

Tell him I said God Bless and take care.

Very interesting comments you all have made. I am here in Iraq and all of you are correct. Although I am in the Air Force, we still get hit and need our tools. The item that I use more than anything else is my surefire. I carry it daily, and everywhere I go. Yeah, the batteries do not last long, but there is nothing else I have seen that will pierce the Iraqi darkness. I brought a ton of batteries with me. Next thing always on me is my Leatherman Wave. No need to explain why that it. I was not sure what kind of knife to bring with me so I waited till I got here to see what I would need, but of course I brought a SAK. Most of the Army guys here, if they carry a fixed blade, carry a KaBar, or a cold steel SRK. I would get a Becker of some kind, or one of the other two mentioned. Folders are up to what you want. The chances of having to use it as a self defense tool are slim to none. We got issued auto strykers here, but I would prefer my 806, or sere 2k, or cqc7. Any will do the job you need, the big thing is to bring some kind of sharpening tool. They are not available here, and need to bring one. One thing I have come to depend on is a Photon micro light. I like the photon 3 covert in red. They are so light weight, and are there when you need it. Power here seems to be unreliable at best. Nothing like having a back up light when you need it. There is no one knife that will fit everyone, it depends on what you like and want.

As a Marine Grunt, SSgt needs a folder (Delica,Griptillian), Fixed Blade 3 1/2 - 4 " blade 7 1/2 OAL, Leatherman style multitool and smaller Spyderco Lady bug style with Photon light .

Tell SSgt ,Stay safe and watch his and his Marines SIX!

S/F,
CEYA!
Ceya Knife Designz

P.S.
I replied to you post Loveless in Okinawa?? awhile back. If need help please let me know.

get him a long lasting led flashlight that is small and light along with a leatherman charge

i spent 11 months up in northern iraq in a city called mosul with the 101st abn div march 2 2003 - feb 16th 2004

i had all types of knives i carried at varies times but if i did it again id go with a leather charge, something from chris reeves(shadow IV), ontario rat-7 1095 or d-2,

I've been active Army for 15 years, I couldn't imagine deploying to a combat zone without a decent fixed blade.

Peacetime, training - I'll agree a fixed blade is extra weight and not critical, but if I'm carrying live ammo, I'm carrying a good FB knife.

Doesn't have to be expensive, yes it may get lost or broken.

I have a short rotation coming up - I'll be taking a 5.5in CRK GB, an S30V Military, and a Wave. I'll have a D2 551 Grip along as a spare folder. I'll also have a Surefire M2, Inova XO and Coast V2-6 red/white LED.

I've been out of the close combat business for 10 years, but as an Infantryman I never patrolled in a combat zone without my Gerber MKII.

He doesn't need a huge fighter, and I'd assess his appreciation for steel before you spend big $$ on a knife, but I'd look hard at the smaller SRK's like the HR or Bandicoot, or a Dozier. If he's game, the short CRK GB or a Busse NO would be an excellent choice. Keep in mind, he may already have access to the new USMC/Ontario bayonet, which would cover the requirement for a good fixed blade nicely.

Add a folder, and a multitool, and he's set.

Akdoclg.jpg

From someone who has been over there to play.
I think a two to three knife approach is the best way to go. I carried with me a Leatherman Super Tool, a Buck Strider Spearpoint folder and a Buck Strider Solution fixed blade. Massive fixed blade knives have a very limited duty role in real world military applictions. I find that a good 5-6" blade will get just about any job done that is called for. 7" blade would be my outside limit as a knife must be carried and accessible when needed. Wearing all of the duty gear, long knives start to create problems when they do more getting in the way than serving their purpose. 90% of knife use will most likely be opening MREs and perhaps a new bundle of sandbags.
That being said, I recently met a maker who is doing great stuff for military personel over in the sandbox. He has really fair prices for outstanding knives that are built to last. Check out www.martinknives.com or give Newton a call and talk with him. I regularly visit his shop and his work is 1st rate and built to last and serve.
Hope this helps. Shoot me an APO for your nephew when you get it so that I can pack a few goodies to kick his way.
doc

Email me and we can talk your email does not work. I'v been over there twice both times with 1/5 the best there is in Iraq or the states!!! Just see how got the P.U.C. in OIF I

gk2410 said:
My nephew just got called back into the Marines and will be assigned in the northern sector of Iraq by early March. I'd like to buy him a knife to take over with him, and am in a quandry about what is really practical and necessary. My first inclination was one of the semi-custom combat knives from Randall or Chris Reeve etc, but began to question myself. :confused:

I haven't been there, so have no background to draw from. Any of you current or ex-grunts able to offer some practical advise? How much of a knife do you really need? He's a grunt, SSgt, in a line combat unit, and that's about all I know about his actual "mission". Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

I am a contractor over in Iraq now. I have a Leatherman, CRKT m16, and a few other fixed blades. I must say that I actually used my CRKT and leatherman more than my fixed blades. honestly I only have used my fixed blades when I was sharpening them. But if you want to get a fixed blade for you nephew I would say get something from TOPS, MercWorX, and Strider. I can only speak for Tops and MercWorx, I love them both. Hope this helps.

Lee

Just adding to the chorus here, but I recommend a Leatherman Wave, and a Becker Crewman fixed blade.

God speed and a safe return to your nephew.

I have talked about knives in the Military on other threads. 1. A good Multi Tool or two is a must. I carried the old Wave last time out but I have a Charge now that will be with me on the next trip. 2. A good Tactical one hand opening folder like the Spyderco Military or Endura would be perfect. I don't see a need for large fixed blades. I am in the 10th Mountain and some guys took a fixed blade but after a while they realized it was dead weight on them. Remember Iraq is not Vietnam, Soldiers are not living out in the Bush for weeks at a time hacking their way through the jungle. If you feel you just have to have a fixed Blade, I would go with something short and strong so you can deploy it while in a Vehicle. Also a neck knife that you can wear under your shirt while doing PT may be something worth thinking about. I was on a large open base in Iraq with locals all around that also lived on the base and we did not know who to trust. Everytime I saw one while running PT made me think of the neck knife because kidnappings are big in Iraq and if you don't have your M-4 a neck knife may make the differance.

Back