1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Here's A HOG!!! (Handful Of Greatness) . . . Coming Wed. Sept. 4, 2019 At 9:00pm Eastern. . . . .

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Jerry Busse, Aug 31, 2019.

1. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Thank you for the explanation, I cant say I disagree with you at all on any points. I agree that even the fancy knives are tough enough to be used, and I wouldnt hesitate to use them if I needed. My safequeens are such strictly by choice, theyre not needed for use as I have plenty of fine bacon in use already. My Bb13, B11, mentor, warden, regulator and scrapivores have all that covered, and allow me to continue to greedily enjoy my shiny pieces in their forever perfect state :D

Crosier likes this.
  2. DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    It makes sense and fits the Busse philosophy, imho. Its a finely balanced blend of production and custom and I personally like it, I've found that it works well for me. For example, I received a custom knife that I had no input in creating, but it was exactly what I wanted. I just didnt know it existed, nor could I have thought it up. Heck, if I ordered custom knives, they would all be satin bowies with snakeskin or tigerhide scales :D

Kenneth F Huls likes this.
  3. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Thank you for your polite and considered response, DamascusBowie. I can't say I disagree with you at all on any points either! In fact, after I pressed Post Reply, it dawned on me that you said, "the way I figure, some of my knives will always be safe queens, might as well be the fancy ones." Your choice of words revealed your thoughts quite well originally. This was your choice since you wanted to keep something perfect and shiny. While not me, nothing at all wrong with that (Despite my oft repeated statements to the effect that knives are to be used, not stored in safes, etc.) You were not saying these "SHOULD" be safe queens, or "ARE" safe queens in an objective way, and certainly did not say they "HAVE TO BE" safe queens due to their fragile nature. I touched my own nerve it seems :(;).

Nonetheless, I stand by my oh so insightful analysis :). I do so because I detect that some believe that these are petty much meant to be safe queens or are safe queens objectively speaking. I could be wrong.

Enjoy 'em however one likes and NO REGRETS! :thumbsup:

lmcq784 likes this.
  4. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999
    Mostly because we still have a large number of customs on back order and have you seen the pics of the Cantankerous Crab Shack Crew?. . . They're grumpy and mean! :eek::eek::eek: They don't allow other employees into the shack and when someone tries to get in there, they typically start throwing things at the door. . . and unfortunately the "things" they throw are knives!!!!!:eek::eek:

They make a lot of beautiful customs but the vast majority are on their terms and dependent on what they are in the mood to make!!!

10,000 years of experience comes at a price!o_O:confused:

I tried to get in there about a week ago and Mike Thourot put me in some bizarre choke hold that he learned from Hannibal in the 2nd Punic war in 218 BC!!!:confused:

It looks like I'm gonna need an elephant and a lot of really good scotch!!!:thumbsup::cool:

Let's Drink!:thumbsup:

Jerry:D

Aias, ipal, duramax and 3 others like this.
  5. DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    Speaking of scotch, elephants and the Punic wars, has Mike Thourot worked on any custom mentors? Those would be epic. Hold on, how epic would an actual mentorganzaa be? INFINITELY MORE EPIC :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You described what happens to me all the time, I cant help it sometime, there's a fine line between focus and tunnel vision and I try to be aware of it as early as possible for myself, and I try to be understanding about it with others because I know how hard it is to catch myself doing it.

lmcq784 and Kenneth F Huls like this.
  6. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Your online conduct and understanding speaks volumes for your fine character. Thank you.

lmcq784 likes this.
  7. UNRL Ghandi

UNRL Ghandi Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2013
    I ended up scoring 4b - pretty excited for this one! After looking at all the knives offered I settled on this one being my primary target.

Congrats to whoever scored 2c! That's a fine knife there and I do love me some mosaic pins. It was second on my list. :)

Leonardo63 likes this.
  8. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    My first choice as well! Sharp looker.

9. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Congrats to those who scored. Lots of folks didn't.

Garth

10. knifelover1973

knifelover1973

Jul 15, 2014
    i'm happy i got the 4c.came in monday