hest folder warranty question

draftpick

Gold Member
I would like to know why the change in philosophy in the hest folder warranty. ESEE's stance is we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been sold traded or given away, not the original owner. But with the hest ESEE is now offering warranty to registered owners. Why the change. Is this a change in philosophy with ESEE. I can't see a reason to change the warranty with the hest folder other than to limit warranty returns because after it has been sold or traded there is no warranty. ESEE's warranty to me is what sets them apart from the rest of the other companies and ESEE is very proud of that and state it on their site. But if you can't offer the same warranty with the hest then why do it. Because it's not keeping with the original motto of we stand behind our knife and not who owned it first!

well...its a FOLDER. :)

The only reason I'm signed up to buy it is RYP and ESEE - if they say it's tough enough for them..I'll give it a shot - if I hate it...I bet I can sell it quick and buy more FB's

I'll use it some...but I'd never bet my life on it....or take only a folder into the woods...or a BOB.... or a confict...

There is NO folder - ever designed or ever will be - that can be as tough as a fixed blade...there are trade offs in anything. A NAA Guardian or Keltec LCP slips in your pocket...but it's not what most people would take if they knew their life depended on the caliber or functioning in a harsh enviroment.

...murphys law...moving parts...it's apples and oranges (to me)

what the HEST folder DOES do, is give some folks that have to live in places with horrible knife laws a chance to carry an ESEE knife...and have a hard use option that's maybe better than they have access to now... for those folks, I see why they are SUPER excited.

Last edited:
Folders, compared to fixed blades, are complex machines with moving parts. If they get passed from owner to owner, who knows who has tore them apart, messed with them, screwed them up and beat on them, or what the hell they have done with them. They are more difficult and more expensive to manufacture. They are also (by design) inherently weaker than a fixed counterpart.

Buy a new one if you want the unbeatable warranty.

This of course, is all just my simple opinion...I have no connection to or information from ESEE.

I don't see it as apples to oranges. And you missed the point. I was not comparing a folder to a fixed blade. Either you stand behind the product or the original owner and ESEE has alwalys stood behind the knife. And know with hest it's only standing behind the original owner and that is a change in company philosophy. So it's not apples to oranges.

I have no worries of this folder failing due to a manufacturing issue. If it fails at all it would probably be because I did something stupid with it.

The warranty is nice and comforting, but I have never needed to use a warranty with any knife I've owned.

I don't see it as apples to oranges. And you missed the point. I was not comparing a folder to a fixed blade. Either you stand behind the product or the original owner and ESEE has alwalys stood behind the knife. And know with hest it's only standing behind the original owner and that is a change in company philosophy. So it's not apples to oranges.

Its probably because its Lion Steel thats making the knife and not ESEE. It shouldnt be a big deal, cause i sure as hell dont expect it to fall apart during use.

sorry, still apples and oranges to me. you are asking the manufacturer to bite off an unreasonable, never-before-done chunk.
I'm sure at some point Jeff, Mike, RYP or even the maker will jump in on the thread...but I just can't see how you can compare them...

it's like their soft goods line...still ESEE, but not inherently designed for "forever".
a folder is just not in the same category as a fixed blade.

as said...if you want the forever warranty, sign up and get one - they will be gone fast
and if it doesn't work for you, don't get it.

Then there's that great post about cocobolo and whale penis bone handles that will tell ya they don't want everyone to own an ESEE or that he believe they are "the best", just that they do what they can to do things right.

...hhmmm I gotta find that quote again and save it...that was priceless.

Last edited:
I think its pretty simple and I don't begrudge Esee one bit for the policy. The old adage that if you give someone an inch they take a mile comes to mind here. People abuse warranties its that simple. It makes sense for the company to CYA (cover your a$$) from the stand point of watchin' out for number one. I read about companies warranty issues all the time and here now and again from the people that work inside some of the manufacturers and the things people do to take advantage of free work can be pretty amazing, particularly with folders. People tend to modify and change their folders to 'personalize' them, sometimes quite a bit. This can be anything from fancy stand offs, custom spacers, washer change out, blade swaps, new scales, pocket clips and god knows what else compared to a fixed blade that may get at best a blade profile, maybe some new handle scales or a new sheath. It makes sense to have a different warranty coverage for a folder IMO.

STR

Either you stand behind your product or you don't. Simple. To me there is no middle ground.

Esee fully stands behind their fixed blades. They don't fully stand behind their folder, now as long as that info is made perfectly clear to the buyer I'm cool. Whether or not I'm the first to own (and I guess register) the product does not change my ability to abuse the warranty or mess up the knife regardless of what anyone here can say.

This is not apples to oranges, knives to soft goods, or a fixed blade to a pair of esee panties this is a McIntosh apple to a Red Delicious.

In all honesty, regardless of the warranty I wouldn't have bought the folder anyway, their not really my thing. ;)

We will offer a lifetime warranty on all folders with the exception of wear and tear

Last edited:
I know that poeple take advanatage of warranties all the time. My point is ESEE has had a motto and been bold enough to offer the best warranty in the knife business but with the hest they are changing and point Im asking is why? If you can't stand behind it like your previous knives then why make it in the first place! If your not prepared to cover the cost of warranty work then charge, more or don't make the knife! But reading all of ESEE's literature they talk about company philosophy and they are not following through with it in the hest folder. I'm not bashing ESEE here just want to know why they are changing from we stand behind a product( does not matter what it is folder or fixed) to we stand behind the original owner. But I also don't like to see changes like this as it can be a sign of more changes to come.

I dont know every other knife companies warranties, but "We will offer a lifetime warranty on all folders with the exception of wear and tear" sounds pretty awesome to me. I dont know what more you could ask for, and still be reasonable.

rowen makes the fixed blades, lionsteel makes the folder. the folder warranty is still one of the best in the business.

i don't see this change in philosophy you keep talking about. the fixed blades still have the no questions asked break it on purpose wnd we'll replace it warranty. the folder warrants for life against defects for life, to the original owner, because if you buy one used, who-knows-what could have been done to destroy the integrity of the design.
they shouldn't be expected to warrant the problems caused by previous owners. still among the best in the biz.

i bet somebody's gonna be upset 'cause it doesn't say "USA" on the tang...

i bet somebody's gonna be upset 'cause it doesn't say "USA" on the tang...

What, what, WHAT?!
That's it. I'm boycotting the company. They should send me every one of these foreign produced folders for proper disposal!!

If I buy a used fixed blade that someone altered esee will repair it. Why not the same with the folder. STAND BEHIND YOUR PRODUCT, NOT THE OWNER. That is what im trying to say.

I know what your saying & I hear you .... but realize ESEE knives built Fixed blades... and has the best warranty on them....
Folders are a new direction for this company and will have a slightly different warranty ,nature of the beast.
look at any folder maker out there warranties....
moving parts will fail...to many variables...
and this in my Opinion not from ESEE Knives
it is a solid folder & will have a warranty .

I typed...I erased...you are trying this HERE?

if I sit in my garage for a week...it's not gonna make me a car.

I don't get your problem man, they have the best warranty they already said they would awhile back. They haven't changed their fixed blade warranty so I dot know why your saying a change in Philosophy. Why don't you make folders and put an unlimited lifetime warranty and see how long your in business.
ESEE will still have the best warranty on the H•E•S•T/F so just chill out.

Back