HEST Non-ferrous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although all the new DPx knives look extremely interesting, I find myself extremely drawn to the HEST Non-ferrous. Just out of curiosity but is there any information out there regarding the specifications or possible release?

I am in for 1 or 3. The Ti one will be great for using fishing and going through the swamp in south Louisiana.

Right now we are looking at a new Beta Titanium version (sourced from Japan) and have yet to source the manufacturer of the knife. American Beta Titanium has less hardness and we want something up in the mid 50's.

Thanks RYP for the information! I am sure that I speak for many people, but I look forward to future updates as they become available. I will definitely be keeping my eye open for preorders once the details get resolved. The answer may be simplistic and probably self evident but would you be willing to share your inspiration that resulted in the design concept? Did you run across a situation(s) in your past adventurers that led to specific design needs?

Thanks.

Right now we are looking at a new Beta Titanium version (sourced from Japan) and have yet to source the manufacturer of the knife. American Beta Titanium has less hardness and we want something up in the mid 50's.

I think mid 50's is pretty darn good for a "survival" knife actually. Should be tough enough to handle some rough use even in cold temps, and easy to maintain the edge in the field under less than ideal conditions.

First: Go look at Cermetti http://www.dynamettechnology.com/

It runs sharper and harder than some of the exotic Stainless's (pause for low whistle) Titanium blades will never be the same. No its not spring steel but when you need a non sparking, non corrosive, light, and compact EOD or dive blade its pretty nice.

Secondly, yes I design ALL my knives based on my real world experience and a need in the marketplace. The non ferrous comes from years of seeing what works in certain environments. First of all Titanium does not print well on xray machines in airports. That means when you are working overseas you have a better chance of retaining an edged weapon (with scales removed) Second an EOD knife in the third world is used for probing, prying and defusing (do not try this at home kids) and finally a dive knife should be light, have plenty of grip, be at hand, have neutral or positive buoyancy (we will test the bladder that goes in the handle) and used for rapid cutting of hose, cable, kelp and of course prying, tank banging etc etc. Depending on how exotic we get with the titanium we will keep it within the range of a mortal man.

there are one or two knives that use a form of Beta titanium but I don't like the fat grippy rubber or the "dive only" design.

Like all DPx HEST family its a rugged little partner for specific conditions.

That's an interesting idea...kinda of quiver of blades for the HEST :)

Thanks for the insight RYP. Very intriguing. I second the motion on the quiver of blades for the HEST! hehe

A blade for the HEST/F that had serrations may sell well. I know many folks woulden't buy another $175 knife just to have a serrated option, but sitting down for a few minutes to change out a blade that you paid much less for could be an option.

...Or a blade with a sharpened swedge...

Are there any plans for a non-ferrous HEST with a plain edge and standard tip, or will the serrated, chisel tip be the only version?

theres a HEST with serrations and chisel tip?

WANT!

Haven't see a chisel tipped one yet, but I love the looks of the model with serrations sticking up in a coconut in the slide show on the DPx Gear home page :thumbup:

I say it first, how about a replacement Ti blade for the folder if not a complete Ti folder.

From DPx's site

hest_dive.jpeg

From DPx's site

hest_dive.jpeg

That's pretty damn cool. I'm digging the chisel tip.

I wonder if there's enough material (thickness) to machine a groove for a thin o-ring to the hex driver to retain bits. It's not really needed as I imagine most will use it in "emergencies" only, but it would sure make it a lot easier to keep the bit from slipping out during use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back