HI Scramsax/Seax/Saex Design Thread

I agree, Sweet. This blade is maybe half as thick as the AK Bowie blade. That woulda resulted in a smaller tang, more prone to breakage. The Kamis know what they're doing, and they woldn't intentionally release a khuk or blade that will fail.

Keith

then it is settled. You can have one of each!

Fine, please put the Anglo Saxon runes on the wood handled one and I'll use it for my medieval reenactment hobbies. Don't bother putting any runes on the horn handled one, it'll just be used as a camp knife. Thanks.

Sarge

Okay. But you've overpaid! Would you at least want a Tiw rune on the buttcap of the horn handle or something, Sarge?

Keith

I wish I was in on this deal. I would gladly give up a wood handled Seax and take a horn handled one in place just for Sarge.
I mean after all, Sarge is over where I would be if I could be, but since I cannot be I'm really pleased that someone like Sarge is willing to be there for me.
Us ndns honor our vets in many ways. Sure wish I could right now.:(

I was just sorta interested when these knives were being worked out, but now that I've seen several examples I have a nice piece of O-1 Tool Steel that's been waiting on me a long time. I would have to do my own now, but that's alright as I am getting more and more energy, now it's getting the stamina to stand up at the grinder for awhile.:)
(But before I do anything for myself I have a couple of items that I know a couple of guys would like me to get on the stick and finish. They've both been very, very patient.:D)
The O-1 is 1/4" thick and IIRC it's maybe wide enough, but in case it isn't I know where to get a car spring that is.:D
I guess what I'm saying now is that I would really like to have one, but with some differences.
I would really like a bone or stag stick tang handle with copper at both ends about 3/16" to 1/4" thick and have the blade and handle tapered about the same angle as some of the old ones showed.
I particularly like
damsaex.JPG

this one that Keith posted.:D

To fancy things up on the sheath I have either brass or German Silver sheet to put along the bottom.
I'm thinking the German Silver nicely satin finished with copper rivets would be an eye stopper on a black leather sheath!!!!:D :p :D

Edited to show the word "this" better.

there is always time for a second run of these.

I saw half a dozen posts from folks on the other seax pic thread that said they were interested in a seax. Perhaps if we asked the kamis for another non-chiruwa run, we could start another sign up thread.

It seems that a run of 8 of these was the preliminary run...perhaps a few more lurking around betewwn Bir Gorkha and Reno?

Etching services are available...

Keith

Okay. But you've overpaid!

When I look at what other people charge for hand forged custom knives I have to kind of chuckle at that one Keith. If anything I've underpaid, so don't sweat it buddy.:D

Seriously, leave the horn handled one plain, it'll replace my plain horn handled Kumar Karda that I was going to use for hunting (you guessed it, gave that one away to one of my troops). That nice pointy scram blade will be better for stickin' hogs anyway. Talk about a "Texas" sized hunting knife.:eek: :)

Of course, when it comes to sticking wild tuskers, I'm not half as fearless as my buddy "Wheels", so I'll probably put together a nice boar spear using one of these points that Ragnar sells.
spearhead.jpg

Lovely eh? Roughly 8" blade & 7" socket for an OAL of 15". Hand forged (in India) and very reasonably priced at 29 bucks.:D

Yvsa, thank you for both the sentiment and the words. Back on scramaseaxes for a minute, like you I would like one with a stick tang and antler handle capped with brass at both ends. I've got an excellent piece of axis deer antler and a pretty large, and very old, Nicholson file that I should be able to turn out a nice scram with, if I ever get around to it when I get home. Ever tried axis deer antler? It's harder and denser than whitetail, and the soft core that runs through it is very small, perfect for knife handles. Next time I get my hands on some more I'll send you some.

Sarge

Don't forget to mount a crossbar. I'd wear leg armor. Or to be on a horse.

The english made armor for dogs who hunted boars...

Take care,

Keith

Back