• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

HideAways Available Now

Which HideAways are completed that fit you?

Available custom-finished HideAways include:

- several tungsten DLC-coated Justin Gingrich claws for folks with very small hands,

- 1 Mickey Yurco straight for someone with very large hands,

- several Ken Brock curvy's with a slightly re-profiled cool shape

- a couple Yurco and Gingrich HideAway Stings, which you can wear with the watch bands from Chisco.com on your ankle

- 1 Mick Strider Ti Hybrid

- several Mick Strider Ti straight (these are actually more rare than the hybrids). The pic of the Strider Ti HideAway straight shows the oiled deeper colors of the ti anodizing. If you Windex the Ti, the colors "pop" and look like the very bright hybrid pic. Ti is like a mood knife ;-).

Here are some pixels:

These 2 recently left.

strider ti cordwrapr.jpg

tihybridsheathsr.jpg

These 2 Ken Brock recently completed and are available already-sheathed with a bikini sheath. Thanks to Bladezealot for the spare alligator skin used in the background!

beadblasted curvy_resize.jpg

curvy jframe 2_resize.jpg

The curvy's and the hybrids are just over 2 inches in blade length. I try to keep the straights under 2 inches but that doesn't always happen depending on the finishing artist.

To see what's available in your HideAway size, click on:

http://www.hideawayknife.com/availnow.php

1) Make sure your correct email address is showing, or type it into the white box (for new visitors) and press enter.

2) Type your HideAway size in the white box on the next screen.

3) Click hard on the button

This is new functionality. It does not have a link on my main page yet. Several folks have tested it and it seems to be working well. One person couldn't get past the cookie screen. Not sure why. If you have never worn a HideAway before, please make sure you read about it first on the website. http://www.hideawayknife.com/cut.php and http://www.hideawayknife.com/faq.php

Please do not order a HideAway that doesn't fit you. A good fit is needed to be fast-on and then stay-on if your hand were to drop. A good fit also allows full-dexterity of your other fingers in gripping something else. Please do not order a larger size and use it as a 3-finger knife. You lose a lot of dexterity in gripping something else when you tie up your ring finger.

Have been wanting to code "Available Now" functionality for a long time. It took having to deal with a psycho in a restaurant (I am OK. My roommate had 15 stitches in his face. The psycho, whom a judge refused to commit just 2 weeks prior, is in jail charged with felony assault) to produce an attitude shirt to divert the time from grad school stuff and work stuff to code it. My attitude shift is best described by what I told my friend who was debating the midnight DLC vs the satin stainless. "Why wait? What if you need it between now and then? You don't have one yet! It's merely a finish difference! What if you NEED to be holding a knife and holding in a door pushbar in or a barstool to bash against a psycho all at once!" If he already *had* one, I'd understand waiting for exactly the one he wanted. But since he is my buddy, I could be honest with him and tell him the above. If he were unknown to me, I would definitely *not* say that because someone would figure that I was just trying to sell a knife. If I were making more $ / knife, I probably would care more about that. But given the amount of time it takes vs the profit / knife, doing this is a (caution: MBA-speak) "economically irrational" way for me to be spending my time, since I could make more billing for time at my day job. So from a $ standpoint I don't care. From an emotional standpoint, I do care, because I think a HideAway is the best backup knife in existence.

For the past year, I've been working towards getting enough capital and collaborations so that I can have some extra inventory for people who prefer to buy and not wait. (In most cases you still have to wait for sheathing to complete, but all the knife creation process [Autocad + Nesting on the steel sheet via CAM (at my computer) --> Steel to Water Jet cut man --> CD-rom of CAM to Waterjet Cut man --> Double-Disk Grinding blanks at Nifty Bar --> Chamfering --> Vibrating to radius edges --> Grinding by finishing artist --> Heat Treating at Paul Bos --> Final Grind by finishing artist --> (DLC at Bodycote on some) --> Final edge] is done. [--> Sheathing] is that final time-consuming step.

The design phase of the HideAway has been incredibly simple compared to what it took to make it a reality for others to acquire. Succeeding in the design phase meant staying true to what I wanted despite advice to the contrary that would have put me on a more conventional path. Even that advice was valuable though because it made me more certain in what I didn't want, or wanted even if no one else was going to like it. Succeeding in the process phase has been exponentially more difficult. It's meant countless hours of AutoCAD, coding and testing and re-coding algorithms, CNC-milling dozens of corian prototypes for test subjects, and last but not least :) , enjoying hearing from the custom finishing artists and sheath makers and learning colorful new swear words and threats of chaining me to the grinder as they describe the painful experience of grinding and sheathing HideAways.

*Anything* can be done as a one-off. Designers get way too much glory in this business. Defining and executing a process that is repeatable and results in quality front to back is what is mindnumbingly difficult. I have a whole new appreciation for the production knife co's like Spyderco, Benchmade, CRKT, Kershaw, Buck, etc., who consistently crank out a quality product while still innovating with new materials and shapes.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the functionality.

Am going to be getting some sheathed HideAways back from Ken Brock probably on Saturday (I hope I hope :). If you order a HideAway that requires sheathing or additional sheaths, my 13 year old buddy whom I pay to help handle order fulfillment and I will ship them out on Saturday before I leave for Barcelona. This kid has more maturity than many adults. He's been very self-sufficient and conscientious. He did send out a leather sheath instead of stingray recently. I told him he's just not cool if he couldn't tell the diff between leather and stingray . I will have limited online access to email this week, and will be back over the weekend.

FrontSight

Frontsight

DAMN!! I need one, just gotta unload some of my others for the spending grip! I think the Yurco will be a good fit, I just need to measure my big mitts.

Yeti Man

Back