High quality folding knives?

Hey everyone, I just purchased a Case Stockman with honey bone scales in chrome vanadium steel. It came razor sharp, beautiful, and has a clip point, sheep's foot, and spay blade. I really think it will serve me well, but out of curiosity, I was wondering if there are any smaller AMERICAN companies producing HIGH QUALITY, CARBON STEEL, traditional folding knives. I just bought a Bark River fixed blade, and I love the quality, especially because its from a smaller company that produces semi-custom, small scale production knives. I know Queen Cutlery makes great knives, but I chose to go with Case because I liked their designs better, as well as their prices. Anyone have any information on smaller production traditional folders of quality? Again, I'm looking for AMERICAN MADE, CARBON STEEL, high quality knives! Thanks for any information, I love this forum, and everyone is always a big help!

Great Eastern Cutlery and if you like BRKT check out the Scagel Fruitport collaborations. GEC made, BRKT full height Convex ground. :)

Enjoy

Kevin

Wow, I'm shocked by the price of Great Eastern Cutlery's prices. They are beautiful though. How does everyone feel about Case knives though? Quality product, or just another American company that's become a little over produced similar to Buck. I've owned a few Buck's and they were good, but not as good as I wanted, mainly due to their steel choice. But as a whole, how do people feel about the quality of Case knives?

The search engine could find you a LOT of people's well thought out comparison's of GEC and Case. While you are waiting for other replies you could read for a few hours ;)

Not trying to give you the "search engine" response, but I remember a LOT on this.

Your welcome. Just research the particular GEC you may have interest in. Lots of folks here can give specifics on them.

Great link, richstag. Thank you. This makes me want to get a GEC though..

Hi,

Be careful of the GEC's. They can be a very expensive taste to acquire.:)

I do have a few Case knives. Both CV and Tru-Sharp. I like them and find them to be good workers.

I suspect you will end up with some of each. And that's a very good thing.

Dale

All things are relative. I came to GEC's after collecting customs for several years. I think that for what you get, GEC's are well worth the price and then some. When you think about the amount of hand work that goes into them, the fact that they make very small runs, the amazing quality, and that they're made in the best state in the country, 80-150 seems like a deal!

I have a fair number of Case knives. I'm attracted to them for their value and ease of actually finding them. But I've got about as many of them as I want right now. At least one of each pattern that I'm interested in, and a couple of duplicates for my favorite users. A few with some collector value which I'll probably sell at some point. I'm not interested in just buying knives to fill up a display case.

I love some of the GEC patterns but they get snatched up pretty quickly. However, a GEC is on my wish list so maybe one day I'll have the money to spend on one at the same time GEC has a pattern and handle combo that I like that I can actually find.

My only problem with case is the handle options for cv are so limited. There stainless is okay but I prefer carbon on my traditionals.

I decided that I will return my Case Stockman for a full price return, and use the money towards a GEC pattern. I think I'll go with a whittler pattern or maybe a buckaroo. I like the sheeps foot blade for cutting leather.

I decided that I will return my Case Stockman for a full price return, and use the money towards a GEC pattern. I think I'll go with a whittler pattern or maybe a buckaroo. I like the sheeps foot blade for cutting leather.

Keep the Case and get a GEC. One can not have too many quality carbon steel pocket knives!

Keep the Case and get a GEC. One can not have too many quality carbon steel pocket knives!
+1
since you are already happy with the case knife, it would be a shame to return it, you might find that you don't like the GEC as much as you thought you would. I do like GECs very much though, they are worth the extra expense.

ill second Mr Don Hanson on this, keep the Stockman and save for a GEC plus sharp and pointy things tend to be like potato chips, cant have just one... so why fight it;) whats better than an excellent Case stockman? a GEC whittler sitting next to it in your knife box
regards
gene

If you are looking at whittler patterns here is something to think about. I have 57's in clip and warncliff versions. All of them have amazing fit and finish and they even have springs flush in all three positions BUT the warncliff versions have very week pull. Evidently this is pretty common. The clip versions have a nice pull and my stag version is the nicest GEC I own. I have a 62 whittler and it is trememdous but has lighter pulls as well. I would say 3-4 out of 10.

Just something to think about.

Kevin

And, I'm very interested in the 61 Congress model with coping blade and wharncliff blade. Any info on these?

Back