High quality folding knives?

Sorry for another post, but should I go with the coping and wharncliff combo or a sheepsfoot and pen combo? I like the handle materials for the former combination, but I like the sheepsfoot better than the coping blade. Are the differences between the two similar blades substantial?

Delta, pulls refer to how hard or soft the action of opening the knife is. If you just barely touch the blade and it flies open, that's a 1. If you tear your thumbnail off and barely move the blade, that's a 10. Most people prefer something in the 5-6 range, but it's all subjective.

On the GEC #61 models, I recommend the sheepfoot/pen combo. Having a straight edge and a curved edge gives more utility than two straights or two curved edges.

Definitely keep the Case.

As you learn more about GEC you will find that they have made some fine knives for other brands. Three of my favorite folders where made by GEC for Northwoods, Bulldog and Tuna Valley.

Tom

Last edited:
I was wondering if there are any smaller AMERICAN companies producing HIGH QUALITY, CARBON STEEL, traditional folding knives.

Canal Street Cutlery makes some knives in D2, and the quality I've experienced from them recently is excellent. D2 isn't really carbon steel, but it's sometimes referred to as "semi-stainless."

Queen Cutlery makes some knives in carbon steel. Especially outstanding is the example I have with the Queen City brand. The only place I've seen them for sale is CollectorKnives.net. The Heritage series is also made with carbon steel, and despite some mixed reviews from other buyers mine is very good.

QCML31B.JPG

Shm01-4524-3-2-1.jpg

I decided that I will return my Case Stockman for a full price return
If you've gotten a good one from Case, with no blade wobble and finely finished edges, don't let it slip away!

Last edited:
No discussion of carbon steel pocketknives would be complete without a mention of Schrade's Old Timers. The new ones are all imported from China and made of stainless, but the originals (Schrade closed in 2004) were mostly 1095 carbon steel (some models were stainless). Old Timers certainly aren't as fancy as Great Eastern's current production and aren't hand-finished to the same standards, but their consistency of quality was among the best of any mass-produced knife brand. Blade wobble is rare, and the edges were always perfectly finished.

LumberKing34OT.jpg

How does everyone feel about the 92 Eureka in coping and spear point blades? Also, I am considering the 66 Calf Roper, but I hear bad things about clip points. This model seems to be a stockman design. It is important to note that I would like to use the sheepsfoot for cutting leather, but I'd like to use a GEC folder for small whittling tasks while camping, too. Would a Calf Roper be a good choice? I'm looking at the Calf Roper, Eureka Jack, Congress (sheepsfoot+pen/coping+wharncliff). Any suggestions for a combo that includes a sheepsfoot for cutting leather but also offers good whittling blades?

There are threads about the 61 frame here and there, as noted.

The Eureka Jack is first rate in my opinion, could be a bit minimalist for some as no shield,and single bolster,steel liners. Look into the 85 pattern as well.

Worth checking Queen Cutlery for their carbon and D2 offerings, when they're good they excel CASE in my view.

Remember a stockman will have a crinkled blade on two spring versions.

I can't offer help on most of the knives you are looking at.

I have the 62 easy pocket courthouse whittler. It's a very fine knife with split spring construction. This means, if your not aware, that the master blade rides on two springs while each secondary blade rides on its own spring. It makes for a compact knife with no blade crinking necessary.

I don't see it as a good Edc though.

There is high praise on the 66 model. I don't see it as the best Whittler but mixing ultimate whittler with Edc can be tricky.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

How does everyone feel about the 92 Eureka in coping and spear point blades? Also, I am considering the 66 Calf Roper, but I hear bad things about clip points. This model seems to be a stockman design. It is important to note that I would like to use the sheepsfoot for cutting leather, but I'd like to use a GEC folder for small whittling tasks while camping, too. Would a Calf Roper be a good choice? I'm looking at the Calf Roper, Eureka Jack, Congress (sheepsfoot+pen/coping+wharncliff). Any suggestions for a combo that includes a sheepsfoot for cutting leather but also offers good whittling blades?

I am completely ignorant on folding knife terms. I've been a fixed blade guy for a while. What do you mean by "crinkled blade"?

Sorry that was a typo. Crinked I believe is the correct term. It means they Bend the blade usually near the ricasso/tang to fit it in the bladewell with the other two blades. Some people do not like this for sharpening reasons and alignment reasons in use.

None of this is big deal stuff. More subtle differences of certain patterns. It can be important to the buyer.

Okay, I had a feeling that was the essence. I have a lot to think about haha. Thanks for all the information you've given me, richstag.

I am completely ignorant on folding knife terms. I've been a fixed blade guy for a while. What do you mean by "crinkled blade"?

Sorry that was a typo. Crinked I believe is the correct term. It means they Bend the blade usually near the ricasso/tang to fit it in the bladewell with the other two blades. Some people do not like this for sharpening reasons and alignment reasons in use.

Here's an illustration from another thread that demonstrates what richstag just described:
I thought an example of "crinking" would be illustrative here. This Schrade Equal End three-blade is set up with unusual blades. It is not a cattle knife but is very similar;
It has a spear blade on the front or mark spring, and a screwdriver/file blade, opposite a pen on the rear or pile spring.
SchradeEERadio2.jpg

You can see from this picture that the screwdriver/file blade is crinked (bent) to clear the pen, in fact it is bent so far, it crosses the middle liner!
The pen has an offset grind to further allow everything to fit. The spear blade is swedged, but is nearly straight (slightly crinked).
SchradeEERadio4.jpg

Hope this helps!
~ P.

Your very welcome I hope you find something you really like.

Thanks P for posting that!

Phones make it so hard to be proficient on a forum :p :)

Back