hiking staff questions

1.) With what do you tip your staffs with?
2.) what do you use to coat your staffs with? ( and why?)
3.) which length do you prefer?

I am naking a staff, had planned to cap the tip with a copper end cap and six inches of copper tubing. Just before adding the tubing, I noticed it would end up at a slight angle and look awkward. Mabe wrapping it in leather strips or sturdy twine and shellacing over that would be better over all.
Gunstock oil was my first choice to coat the wood, but I think tung oil might be good too, if it does not "
sweat" onto my hand in hot weather. Will linseed oil end up feeling greasy?
Right now the length comes up to my chin, but the original plan was to cut it to about four inches under my armpit, possible to be used as a crutch if needed. I have read a good length could be cutting it to where your hand rests if your elbow is set at a 90 degreee angle.
Opinions and ideas, please!

I can't answer your DIY type questions, because I got lazy and bought a staff at the store. =)

Here's what I went by for sizing, though. Maybe it'll be useful:

http://www.whistlecreek.com/howtosizwals.html

One thing I'll share from using the staff I have now all last year: try not to go for too thick of a staff. The store didn't have any thinner in the length I wanted, but that thick hickory stick gets pretty heavy after a bit of hiking. (Good arm workout for shorter hikes though!)

Personally I use a coating that I made that contains linseed oil, pine pitch, and cut with turpentine.

I coated my wife's staff this way, and use a copper end cap like you say. I don't think you will need the 6" pipe or any other wrapping. The finish dryed pretty hard, but that may be due to the addition of the pine sap? Either way, it is pretty waterproof and durable, and adds a nice darkening to the wood that tung oil won't.

I wrapped a section of paracord for the handle area and left a lanyard loop.

Here's some pics:

2502993126_f58b1ba29e.jpg
2502174593_a5145fcfb7.jpg

2502171491_90dff8aa4a.jpg

I just found a suitable staff for myself. and am currently working on it. It will be about as tall as I am, maybe a little shorter when I'm finished.

I use copper caps for the bottom end.

length about my height 5'8"

and I use Linseed oil (I'm cheap thats the only wood treatment I own)

Did anyone try to add an horizental piece on top the staff???? so the top would look like a T . I found that on some long hikes it makes it easier to actualy hold the top of the staff with the hand laying on top of it.

Sasha

My hiking staff is a Cold Steel Assegai spear. Good as a staff and also bad medicine for feral dogs or even a moderate size black bear, although I wouldn't pick that fight if I could retreat.

Did anyone try to add an horizental piece on top the staff???? so the top would look like a T . I found that on some long hikes it makes it easier to actualy hold the top of the staff with the hand laying on top of it.

Sasha

Do you mean more like a cane? Personally, I would rather have a staff than a cane, as I find, that my hand position will naturally change to higher or lower positions on the staff as I hike, depending on if I'm going up hill or down hill, or level ground.

Also, for me, the longer length, allows more versatility in stream crossing, as I have more length to get find a good place to anchor before I take that next step, or leap. That's mainly why that staff I posted is for my wife and not me, it's too short for me.

1.) With what do you tip your staffs with?
2.) what do you use to coat your staffs with? ( and why?)
3.) which length do you prefer?

Opinions and ideas, please!

I also tip mine w/ a copper tubing cap.

I finish it w/ Tru-oil then seal it w/ polyeurathane for water proofing

I like the longer ones. Generally as tall as I am. The arm at a 90 is where you hold it or if you're using the adjustable ski-type poles. But a staff is more than a walking pole.

Copper cap, stain, three coats of satin poly (spray).

Rule of thumb - make the staff as long as your arm pit. Make the stick as long as your arm is held with you elbow your side and your forearm at a 90.

TF

Personally, I like using bamboo about 6 feet long. Bamboo is strong and lightweight. Recently I experimented with epoxying a copper plumbing cap on the end and silver soldering a 1/4-20 connector to it. I'm going to experiment with different ends - steel pointy thing for the winter, frog gig, small net, etc. Any suggestions, welcome.

proposedhikingstickend.jpg

forpb.jpg

Doc

Personally, I like using bamboo about 6 feet long. Bamboo is strong and lightweight.
I wish bamboo grew out here, seems like such a useful plant.
Saw a story on the discovery channel recently.
Apparently the guy who invented carbon fiber racing/mountain bikes is now manufacturing/selling BAMBOO racing/mountain bikes.
He says they are almost as strong as the carbon fiber models.
The idea is that these new bamboo bikes can be locally manufactured in third world countries for indigenous use.
Bamboo being cheap, available, and a renewable resource!
Kinda neat!
:)

Bamboo. Find a person who has some growing in the back yard. There is a lot of it around the USA.

Tape the bottom 6 inches with electrical tape. It helps control the splitting. After its worn awhile, go cut another piece of bamboo.

I have a Bamboo walking staff with no end caps what so ever. That thing lasted me for over three years with almost no wear and tear on the end of it.
StingRay im thinking more of a shoulder high staff with the T on the top. I wonder if i can get some more bamboo to make it.

Sasha

Sasha

I haven't done it yet, but the idea of a t-handle on the end of a stick sounds like a great idea, Sasha. What do you think of a pvc pipe tee as a nice, light weight improvised crutch top?

An idea that I have tried in the past for a cap on the bottom is the rubber chair bottom things. Kind of like this. I used it on the bottom of an umbrella when I was in New York. It helped make the umbrella more of a walking stick. Just glue it on, and when it wears out, put a new one on. You can find them at any hardware store for way cheap.

Has anyone else tried this? Or do most of you like a metal bottom? I generally do not like hiking with a staff so I have not tried this on a hiking staff. If I do use one I make one quickly from a broken branch off the side of the trail and when I am tired of it I put it back. I guess I don't like carrying one around all the time.

Personally, I like using bamboo about 6 feet long. Bamboo is strong and lightweight. Recently I experimented with epoxying a copper plumbing cap on the end and silver soldering a 1/4-20 connector to it. I'm going to experiment with different ends - steel pointy thing for the winter, frog gig, small net, etc. Any suggestions, welcome.

Doc

Hmm, I like that. I was actually thinking of doing something similar with mine, but was thinking of using the carbide tip from a cheap walmart trekking pole... Your way might be a bit simpler and cheaper though. Although, I'm not sure how the soft hardware will hold a point and how well it will grab granite, as bear granite is a common feature in the Sierras here.

6 foot of hickory sapling, smoothed to 1000 grit, then tung oil, and a copper cap.

I make 100's of them. I put the rubber cane/chair tips. I have to use one and I have some with steel points on for winter on ice. I use linseed oil and or oil base stain. All kinds of wood, whatever I find in the woods and shelter belts.

Mine is Bamboo. About 6' tall. I have had it for 38 years. I wrapped it with tape about 4 inches from the bottom up and it is filled with mud. It is still just as tough as it was when I first got it. I have never put anything on it except the tape. Oh I did put two holes in it and ran some nylon rope through the holes so I could throw it over my shoulder. It has been all over the U.S. I believe it will out live me easily.

Back