hiking staff questions

Am I the only one that uses a cedar walking stick?

No, I have used Cedar.

The one that I use the most is a light and strong piece of Spruce.

When headed out do trail work where I might use my staff as a lever/crowbar I grab one made from hardwood (typically Hop Hornbeam).

"If you're not living on the edge, …you're taking up too much space."

Big Mike

Forest & Stream

I think mine is ash.
Just by chance, my sister was out hunting morels and wandered onto some ones property who approached her to let her know he was the owner, and after informing her who he was, he asked her why she carried such a small knife ( a blue handled Mora ) she said she carried a bigger one if she was going further away from town, because of the coyotes in the area. He gave her his hiking staff, which was a neighborly thing for him to do. ( There are details left out for brevity, she was safe and situationally aware)

No, I have used Cedar.

The one that I use the most is a light and strong piece of Spruce.

When headed out do trail work where I might use my staff as a lever/crowbar I grab one made from hardwood (typically Hop Hornbeam).

"If you're not living on the edge, …you're taking up too much space."

Big Mike

Forest & Stream
Is'nt the hop hornbeam the muscle-wood that grows by streams?

Yes, here in Georgia it's called Ironwood. I cut a nice one this evening on a rainy excursion near the creek.

Actually, I believe musclewood is American Hornbeam. It is smoother and resembles a muscle. Hop Hornbeam has a very loose and flaky kind of bark. They are both referred to as Ironwood up here in the northern midwest as well, and make fine walking sticks.

I've had a Crawford Survival Staff for over 10 years.. I love that damn thing. Kinda spendy but they are great IMHO..

Back