1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hiking with the BB13

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Ptac157, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Ptac157

Ptac157 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Great afternoon out in the bush today with one of my oldest mates. My trusty BB13 always tags along 90495BBE-A395-4844-A48F-63A3196C503F.jpeg
    F4112B07-15B5-4C65-9833-D2774C3604D8.jpeg
    E163CD37-1959-4878-9102-85C4DC5B10F6.jpeg

2. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Nice set up! That is one cool looking BB13 !!! :thumbsup:

Ironkid883 and Ptac157 like this.
  3. Ptac157

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks mate, it’s a favourite of mine :thumbsup:

4. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Is that a stripper? Very nice work!

Ptac157 and Ironkid883 like this.
  5. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Pretty sure it is. IIRC, the BB13 was not offered in anything but CG.

Ptac157 and Ironkid883 like this.
  6. WatermanChris

Aug 30, 2018
    That's what I thought but that thing looks very nice! I was considering stripping mine but I hadn't seen any stripped so I was not sure about grinder gremlins. Either that took A LOT of time or the BB-13 is a good candidate for stripping. Hopefully some others can chime in.

Ironkid883 likes this.
  7. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Great looking rig.:cool::thumbsup:

Ptac157 likes this.
  8. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Wow, looks great.

Ptac157 likes this.
  9. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    I stripped one. I had a love/hate relationship with INFI that was coming out there for a while.
    2019-06-16 10.22.14.jpg

10. WatermanChris

Aug 30, 2018
    That is gorgeous! Is that your special Blue Magic and Steel Wool finish? That is probably the nicest looking Bb-13 I've ever seen. Did you have to sand out any grinder gremlins?

I just received my Blue Magic from Amazon on Friday. I'll post pics of the Mentor when she's done

Apocryphiliac and clampdaddy like this.
  11. clampdaddy

Aug 31, 2013
    That one was just bead blasted with no other work done. There were gremlins on it. They just don't show as badly with a blasted finish.

Will York likes this.
  12. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    That’s just a stunning blade, Ptac157. I remember when you first posted that over a year ago—still looks great!

BTW here’s clampdaddy’s blade with a Ban-Tang-applied zero convex edge:
    IMG_4787.jpg
    The faint marks aren’t prominent at all after clampdaddy’s super bead-blast job, and it’s a user so no worries. Cleans up easily with steel wool and Hoppes No 9 bore solvent—shows virtually no signs of wear at all. My best pure chopper. Thanks again, cd!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    dman62, MacLaren1, d762nato and 3 others like this.
  13. clampdaddy

Aug 31, 2013
    I'm so glad she's in your hands. She looks absolutely stunning with that edge. I still have yours too. Thinking that one day I may send it off to have her thinned down a bit, like how Zombiehunter had his done. Really digging the choil mod that @Ptac 157 did on his.

Ptac157 and Will York like this.
  14. Ptac157

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks mate, I did some major mods to this one which meant I really had no choice but to strip it. It ended up with a nice mirror polish, but I had no intention of maintaining it since it’s a heavy user. I actually only had one small imperfection in the steel under the coating. I ended up doing a full convex so that imperfection disappeared with the grinding. From memory I removed about 70 gm of steel from the blade

WatermanChris, Will York and dogboye like this.
  15. WatermanChris

Aug 30, 2018
    Will my man, you sure do know how to clean up a stripper. :D:D:D That thing looks even better with the Ban Tang edge on her! The king of basics has the beauty queen of BB-13s! :thumbsup::cool:

Will York likes this.
  16. Azula Gun Holsters

Azula Gun Holsters KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 19, 2016
    Here is a BB13 that was worked over by Josh at Razor's Edge Knives
    REK BB13 INFI 18.5 oz .228 in front of handle and .208 spine thickness in center of blade.
    Ends up being the same weight as a 1311

Here is a quote of exactly what Josh at Razor's Edge Knives did to the BB13:

"So what I did was regrind to a full flat, then do a convex edge blended into the flat grind so you won't see a transition point for the edge, then I applied a microbevel on the Wicked Edge for the final apex stability. You will notice 2 tick marks near the edge on the blade, this is the sweet spot for chopping where you will be doing your harder chopping. In between the tick marks I did a mirror polished micro-bevel because a polished edge is better for chopping, whereas I left the rest of the blade (heel and tip) with a 1k grit edge on it which will be perfect for cutting rope, or hacking weeds/underbrush (for a machete type use). I also didn't leave the tip overly thick since I figured you would be using this in a jungle type setting you would want precision cuts on light vegetation as well."

REK BB13

[​IMG]

17. Will York

Will York Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 21, 2000
    18.5 oz is just incredible—that’s a beautiful job!:thumbsup:

18. clampdaddy

Aug 31, 2013
    Oh my, that is nice.

19. WatermanChris

Aug 30, 2018
    Just WOW! THAT'S C:cool::cool:L!

I think I'm gonna be reaching out to Josh @razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  20. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    Masters at work. The other one is norcal blacktail. He does great work. I picked up a B11 that was done by him and it looked factory.

Will York and MacLaren1 like this.