Hinderer...and a sharpmaker...and patience? Anyone done it? Help!

I just got a new XM-18. I'm not sure what the angle is on it, but I'm guessing it's at least 23 degrees each side. Obviously, with a sharpmaker, getting to 20 degrees each side will take some reprofiling. The steel is M390. Yes, a very hard steel. If I invest in diamond rods, how long will it take to reprofile it down to 40 degrees inclusive? Is there a better way? Get some even coarser stones and rubber band them to the rods on the sharpmaker? Has anyone reprofiled a Hinderer on the sharpmaker?

Yes, I've thought about getting a KME or WE, or EP...but that will be down the line. For now, I'm sticking to the sharpmaker, and I'd like to get this edge A LOT sharper. Thank you!

Yeah the diamond rods and the Cubic Boron Nitride rods are fantastic!

Not sure how proficient you are with sharpening but based on your question, you are probably not very (please take no offense). For such an expensive knife, maybe it is better to have it sharpened to your desired dps by a pro on this forum. Or at least try with a couple of beater knives first by yourself

Not sure how proficient you are with sharpening but based on your question, you are probably not very (please take no offense). For such an expensive knife, maybe it is better to have it sharpened to your desired dps by a pro on this forum. Or at least try with a couple of beater knives first by yourself

This^

If you want to use your Sharpmaker (and no reason you can't) to maintain the knife, get a pro to set the bevel to either 30 or 40 degree inclusive. Touch ups on the Sharpmaker will then be easy.

Yes, get a pro to reprofile it. In my experience even with the diamond rods the sharpmaker is terrible for reprofiling. Despite the name the Sharpmaker is actually much better at touchups and will put a decently sharp knife to very sharp proficiently.

Know why it's called reprofiling? Because a pro re-files the knife for you. ;)

Thing is, what if I get someone to reprofile it for 40 degrees, but then my sharpmaker is slightly off, like what if my sharpmaker is 39.5 degrees, lol.

I agree with everyone on the diamond rods. I would also suggest maybe practicing on some cheapos first. Once you are comfortable then jump on it!

Since you just got it at least use it first. Then worry about a reprofile and sharpening

Thing is, what if I get someone to reprofile it for 40 degrees, but then my sharpmaker is slightly off, like what if my sharpmaker is 39.5 degrees, lol.
This is a very astute question. My Sharpmaker sharpens the 15 degree angles more like 17 degrees by my Wicked Pro sharpener. Not sure which is right, but the point is eventually you ll have to use your Sharpmaker, or what ever system you use, to establish and maintain an edge. You can re profile your edge with the 'Sharpmaker, but it will take a while. Be patient. I have the diamond rods and the cbn rods and prefer the cbn rods.
With m390 steel you should do 95% of your sharpening with the cbn rods. Then a light finish with the fine rods.
I do recommend practicing on some cheaper knives with less complex steel Maybe a Tenacious or a Rat 1.
I also like the idea of using your knife for a while with the factory edge. It might be more useful than you thought it would be.

When you say do 95% with the CBN rods, and then go to the fine, I'm a little confused..woyosnt I go to the medium...then fine...then ultra fine, which I have?

Yes. You would go through the various stones. Coarse stone does most the work, medium refines, and fine stones really just put the final touches on it.

About the small discrepencies in angle, I wouldn't worry, you are not holding the blade 90 degrees straight down anyway.

I have to agree with the others. I have used a Sharpmaker to reprofile a knife, it took forever. Your blade steel will take forever and a day. Let a pro redo your angles. It will be worth the money spent.

Agree with all the above. My Hinderer came incredibly dull and I had to use aggressive diamonds on another system and take off a bunch of steel.

Agree with all the above. My Hinderer came incredibly dull and I had to use aggressive diamonds on another system and take off a bunch of steel.

Look buddy, if you want the limited edition Frag Monkey edge that will cost you extra. Otherwise be happy with the edge you got ok? ;)
---------------------

To the original poster a professional sharpener is not the guy who drives around with the truck by the way.

The little diamond rods of the SM will be useful in the future but in this case you will still be wasting a lot of time with them. The limited surface area and inability to be forceful combined with the overly thick Hinderer will make for a very long process.

The little diamond rods of the SM will be useful in the future but in this case you will still be wasting a lot of time with them. The limited surface area and inability to be forceful combined with the overly thick Hinderer will make for a very long process.

Honestly my experience with the diamond rods is that it feels like the edge is just skipping off the high points of the abrasive. In the end it makes it very hard to be precise about holding an angle.

Well, I may get a KME in the next few months anyway, I suppose that will be an easier system to use for this task right?

A kme is what I have, and could never sharpen a knife until getting one! I could use my sharp maker and maintain the edge for a while, until it needed reprofiling.. Get yourself a kme some diamond stones, and a angle cube you'll be set. There's some great videos on YouTube showing how to use it knifecrazy is the one I watch. Now after learning about the Burr I do my touch up's by hand..

Is the KME on Amazon for $198 all I need? It says it comes with 4 diamond stones? 140, 300, 600, and 1500 grit? I need an angle cube? What is that? Thanks..

Back