hinderer xm-18 and sebenza comparison (warning, bad for your wallet)

Hey guys,

so my buddie nyef asked me for some comparison shots of a small xm-18 and a small seb just for the fun of it and let me tell you I had some fun handling these beauties today!

I've been carrying the small seb with pimped peter_r scale exclusively for the past 4 weeks but I think it's about to see a change with the hinderer again.

I'm trying to make time to get up a review about my very intensive carrying experience of those weeks, including two weeks on a holiday in france, but that will have to wait a bit longer.

I love both knives and think very highly of both manufacturers, if you've got the cash to spend I can absolutely recommend both of them, in all sizes :D But hey, I'm preaching to the choir here right?

I opened up my pelican case vault and whipped out these beauties of which some shots will follow after some intense warnings on my part. Nyef, enjoy the shots!

It's not too late to protect your wallet, you are warned!!

WARNED AGAIN!!

don't scroll down if you're not in total control of your finances and don't want to spend any money or if you have a wife/gf that's just about done with your knife disorder :):cool:

two buddies
attachment.php

with their bigger brothers
attachment.php

dude, how's your lockup?
attachment.php

just fine bro! couldn't be better ;)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• seb_and_xm-18_05.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_05.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,585
  • seb_and_xm-18_08.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_08.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,441
  • seb_and_xm-18_14.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_14.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,448
  • seb_and_xm-18_16.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_16.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,439
  • seb_and_xm-18_19.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_19.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,052
group shot
attachment.php

better than adamantium
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• seb_and_xm-18_26.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_26.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,890
  • seb_and_xm-18_20.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_20.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,414
  • seb_and_xm-18_24.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_24.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,414
  • seb_and_xm-18_28.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_28.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,417
  • seb_and_xm-18_27.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_27.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,411
OH NO. I scrolled down.....

I'm not a big fan of orange handles, but I have to say that those look great! May have to rethink a few things now, darnit!

that's all folks!
hope you enjoyed 'm

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• seb_and_xm-18_13.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_13.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,388
  • seb_and_xm-18_18.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_18.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,383
  • seb_and_xm-18_01.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_01.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,387
  • seb_and_xm-18_02.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_02.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,391
  • seb_and_xm-18_25.jpg
    seb_and_xm-18_25.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,384
Great pics, thanks for sharing I love that orange.

I got a 3'xm on the way. Glad to know its around the same size as my small seb. I was hoping as much. Thanks again!

Incredible. Can you email the info on getting the small seb scale 'pimped'. I am interested in doing the same. Thanks!

ORANGE??? :barf::barf::barf:

That large Sebbie on the other hand...

;)

Nice pics Zyhano, have fun with those beauties!:thumbup:

Kind regards,

Jos

Zyhano,

Awsome Pics, just what I was looking for. For me the small sebbie is just a tiny bit small ( I am Keeping my small P style sebbie guys...lol ) , even though the 3" xm-18 is in the same size range, its more contoured to fit your hand. I just got a 3 1/2" non-flipper with a yellow scale ( pics on the hinderer page ) and I love it. Looks like a sebenza and strider mated and the offspring was an XM-18. I wanna get an orange one for hunting season so if I lay it down, it will be easily found.........I shot a doe around 4:30 at dusk, last year and my dad layed down my CRK sable IV.....Well, after about 10 minutes of looking, we finally found it. Too close of a call for me. Wish CRK would make orange butt caps again......lol.

Thanks Again for the pics, they are awsome. I am sure you had lots of fun taking them just as many of us will have just as much fun viewing them.

Thanks,
Tom

I find that orange rather sickening on the sebenza, for some reason it looks good to me on the XM though :D but if it was up to me I'd take the blue black G10. If you're ever in a tactical situation having a fluorescent orange knife might not exactly be a bonus!
"Don't shoot, I'm just reaching for my safety knife!"
Great shots though mate, thanks a lot for posting :thumbup:

ORANGE??? :barf::barf::barf:

That large Sebbie on the other hand...

;)

Nice pics Zyhano, have fun with those beauties!:thumbup:

Kind regards,

Jos
hehe, as my southern neighbour I guess you're more into red than orange :)
Yeah Jos, I included the mammoth just for your viewing pleasure :thumbup:

Zyhano,

Awsome Pics, just what I was looking for. For me the small sebbie is just a tiny bit small ( I am Keeping my small P style sebbie guys...lol ) , even though the 3" xm-18 is in the same size range, its more contoured to fit your hand. I just got a 3 1/2" non-flipper with a yellow scale ( pics on the hinderer page ) and I love it. Looks like a sebenza and strider mated and the offspring was an XM-18. I wanna get an orange one for hunting season so if I lay it down, it will be easily found.........I shot a doe around 4:30 at dusk, last year and my dad layed down my CRK sable IV.....Well, after about 10 minutes of looking, we finally found it. Too close of a call for me. Wish CRK would make orange butt caps again......lol.

Thanks Again for the pics, they are awsome. I am sure you had lots of fun taking them just as many of us will have just as much fun viewing them.

Thanks,
Tom
You're welcome man, the 3" hinderer feels a littlebit bigger than the small seb, the handle is slightly longer and on top of that, you can put your index finger in the choil.

You want one, so go get it!

Incredible. Can you email the info on getting the small seb scale 'pimped'. I am interested in doing the same. Thanks!
search for peter_r on the forums, he made the scale for me.

I find that orange rather sickening on the sebenza, for some reason it looks good to me on the XM though :D but if it was up to me I'd take the blue black G10. If you're ever in a tactical situation having a fluorescent orange knife might not exactly be a bonus!
"Don't shoot, I'm just reaching for my safety knife!"
Great shots though mate, thanks a lot for posting :thumbup:
YOu're making the mistake of thinking that looks matter in that situation ;)

Thanks for the great pictures! I really love these knives and will one day have an XM18. One thing I do notice is that the XM blade has a nice 'tint' to the blade. Looks like a user.....great to see some wear marks on the Ti as well. Great character!

Great comparo shots, really puts the knives in perspective.

Nice collection too!

Noooo!!!! Why did i had to scroll down! :confused:

Haha awesome pic`s bro! Very sweet collection you got there ;)

Zyhano,

Awsome Pics, just what I was looking for. For me the small sebbie is just a tiny bit small ( I am Keeping my small P style sebbie guys...lol ) , even though the 3" xm-18 is in the same size range, its more contoured to fit your hand.

I totally agree with Tom here in his opinion and thanks to Zyhano for the pics, they rule!

First off as i mentioned i totally agree with Tom. when money got tight for me i sold off my small reg. sebenza. Trust me it was very difficult to do but the loss of that knife is backed up by my 3" hinderer.

However, i had to make the same choice a while back regarding the 3.5" blades and I held strong with my Sebenza!

Bottom line, if you want my opinion (which i realize no one asked for ;)) My narrowed collection of all time favorties has been broken down to a Large Regular Sebenza and a 3" XM-18.

As for the details of my choices, as Tom said, the small sebenza is just too small for me. It represents perfection in so many ways, but when it comes down to it i just like the feel and toughness of the Hinderer.

As for the 3.5" range, the Hinderer is overbuilt! That of course is not a criticism, if anything it's a compliment. It's pretty much the most perfect heavy duty folder i've ever handled. for whatever reason, when i had both i always reached for my Lg Sebe first. It is just a little bit more practical for my EDC needs.

Needless to say, the XM-18 is a sick knife, and has become a perfect companion for my Lg Sebenza.
img7729b.jpg

img7731m.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics of some really nice knives:thumbup:.
I really like orange handled knives.

I would like to have a 3inch xm flipper sometime.
I all ready have my sebs and one with my self made orange scale.

One thing I do notice is that the XM blade has a nice 'tint' to the blade. Looks like a user.....great to see some wear marks on the Ti as well. Great character!

This is the standard finish on some of these xm knives;). A used look and i really like it:thumbup:. Looks tuff.
You won't have problems using your knife because it has his wear marks.
Just like the sebenza stonewash.
You won't see marks with "normal" use.

Chad,
Nice post as always, Nice pictures...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Back