Hittin' The Big Time??

Can you well established known makers please help us wannabes by telling how you became a known maker, and how long it took? Thanks in advance! Take care! Michael

P.S. Some pix of your early and current work sure would be nice!!!

------------------
"Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!"

Not that I am a maker (hopefully that will change one day), but I will toss in a few ideas from friends I have met along the way to help kick this thread off.

1. Go to as many shows as you can. Pick some good ones and go every year. The more collectors and makers you meet the better. People need to see that you are serious about knifemaking. Shows will also be a source of new knowledge and what is going on the the market. I may be a little jaded here, but I feel the Blade Show is a must.
At least it is the largest gathering of knife people I know of.

2. I can see from your signature you have already realized some things about most makers. Even through a collectors eyes, it is easy to see how much knowledge is shared.
Keep learning - never be satisfied to the point you put yourself in a niche and do not take time to grow.

3. Knife making organizations can play a major role in your growth and reputation.
Check out the Guild and the ABS as well as knifemaking organizations in your area.

4. Consider taking some ABS classes that interest you.

5. I have heard 5 - 10 years or more, but with the net (get a web site up) and sites like this, word seems to be travelling faster in the knife circle now days.

OK - now let's hear from the guys who have done it.

[This message has been edited by Gus Kalanzis (edited 11 October 1999).]

Gus, are you sure you're not really a closet knifemaker? You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Michael, lotsa hard work and long hours. I started making knives about 1972 and got real serious on it in 1985 (the Army moved me around alot during those years). I made every gun, gun/knife, and knife show I could.

Try to attend all the shows or anywhere else you can display your knives, attend all the hammer-ins, and bladesmithing schools you can find, and never be happy staying on the same plain. Always look for the next higher plateau.

I am a greenhorn to "serious" knife making. I was glad to see your post, and the responces of both Gus and Kit.

I felt somewhat releived when i read the words ..."long hours" in Mr. Carsons post. I work full time from about 7 to 5, come home spend time with the family till about 9 then spend time in the shop from 1:30 to 2:30 in the morning. Then i reflect on what ive done, sometimes with great satisfaction other times with great frustration.

To me the "big time" will be when i can make that vision in my head, exactly as it appears...not letting my limited skills hinder my intent when i start!!

THANKS GUS, KIT, and RM!!!!! I have only been to one show in three years. It was a gun and knife show in my area, alot more guns than knives. I stayed there all day Saturday and had lots of people come look and compliment me on my work, but I only sold two knives. I didn't even bother going back on Sunday. I guess that kinda burnt me on shows.I know I need to start going to some if nothing else, for the exposure, and not worry about how many I sell. I wish I could attend some of the classes, especially on folder making. I've been making the same kinds of fixed blades for so long, I'm losing interest a bit. Man, I do not see how you guys get those folders to walk and talk like you do. I suppose knife making is a lifetime thing, so I should have plenty of time to get discovered. Take care! Michael

Don't let the gun show experience sour your outlook, the gun show crowds are usually more lookers than buyers. Knife shows can be even rougher until you become "recognized", collectors tend not to buy from unknown makers unless their work in exceptional or underpriced. One day I will become recognized and I will be able to get out of the day job as well.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

I've been collecting knives for about two years now, with my interest really taking off about six months ago. If I may, let me provide my point of view.

First of all, I agree with the others that becoming a successful knifemaker is a huge amount of work.

Making a high quality knife should be your highest priority. It does not have to be perfect but each knife should reflect your best effort. Making a good first impression is important for continued business.

Figure out what types of knives you are best at and stick with that initially. Don't try to make all kinds of different knives to fit all types of customers.

A web site is extremely helpful in terms of exposure. That is a lot of work that you may wish to have someone help you with. Have pictures of your knives, information about yourself, shows you attend, etc.

Consider placing an ad in one of the magazines, such as Blade. Unfortunately, this is very expensive.

Keep up the communication with your customers. Let them know if you are running late. Let them know the progress of their knives.

Be patient (that is one thing that I am not good at!). It takes time. Getting exposure is one of the most difficult parts.

Learn from the masters. Getting advice and training from the well known makers is always a big help.

I know that "Success through a positive mental attitude" is an overused slogan but I believe it really helps.

THANKS FOR THE HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT FOLKS!!!!!!! SOME DAY PEOPLE WILL PICK ONE OF MY KNIVES UP AND SAY "DARN, I REMEMBER WHEN I COULD OF BOUGHT THIS FOR A THIRD OF THIS PRICE". THEN I'LL KNOW I'VE ARRIVED! TAKE CARE! MICHAEL

------------------
"Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!"

Michael
What little I have gleaned over the years seems to be lots of exposure. Expose your self whenever possible!! Be honest, give good value, try to constantly improve and prepare yourself to smile when you do not sell anything. I sold many knives for $8.00 each.
fisk

Hey L6 - look at the makers that have replied to your question. Don't ya love this place?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Kelly

SenatorsPlace.com
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

Jerry said:

Expose your self whenever possible!!

Be careful though - sometimes that can get you thrown in jail. Hehehe

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
redface.gif

[This message has been edited by Senator (edited 13 October 1999).]

I really don't know how long it takes to get to the big time. Some of the "Big Time" makers may even not feel that they are Big time yet. I have been at it for about 10 yrs. and feel that I still have a long way to go. The quality of my knives have improved every year. Some of the knives that I have had at shows for about 2 years start to deteriate rapidly right in front of my eyes and I will trade them for something. They didn't really get worse, I got a little better. That is the way it should be. I have buyers that have bought from me since I started making knives and have given me encouragement to "keep up the good work". I feel that I owe them and I should strive to be the best I can be, every time. There are some people that with the right equipment,knowldge, experienced guidance, etc, etc, do get to be "Big Time" in a short while (3 to 5 years). Most of us just keep trying until we get there and when we do, I hope all my friends are there. Ray Kirk RAKER Knives

I have a customer here in town that bought my first seious knife and many others. Every time I go into his office and see them, I want to buy them back and melt them down. Its amazing how far you come in just three years.I guess I have to get over my showphobia and start hitting some no matter what. I really want to go take a folder class sometime soon. Maybe in Arkansas or North Carolina. Thanks for all the help!!! Take care! Michael

------------------

In all the post I didn't see anything about advertising does putting an ad in Blade Magazine have much impact or not, I know it impact's your wallet as a maker I allways read the add's to see if anyone close to me is advertising TbarK Custom Knives

No question the adds will help. I think I would temper my decision with consideration of the the business aspects. (i.e. is my cash flow good enough to justify the expense.)

I think the adds will have greater impact once a small following is developed. For me they do; especially in the case where it may be someone I met a while back at a show or hammer-in. I feel that they will help a maker become established and by the nature of custom knives the adds will not be needed after that (or at least not as often).
It will always be necessary to get your work into shows.

I have a good friend in the area who does beautiful file-work. He placed a small advertisement in the classified section and that has kept him pretty busy mostly from repeat business. He usually has a backlog so he pulls the add. If he sees that things are looking thin ahead he puts the add back in for a couple of issues.

After a while - hopefully you will not need to advertise. Your work and the words of your customers and contemporaries will go quite a bit further than your adds will.

Don't be discouraged by people not buying at the shows. I usually go to a show with something particular in mind, but I look at everything. Sometimes I go back the next day and buy something I couldn't get out of my head. Other times I'll buy something at the next show I see that person at. I don't think a lot of high rollers go through the small shows (I'm sure some do). Just consider shows a PR opportunity. I am much more likely to buy something from someone who is enthusiastic and friendly too. I'm amazed at the people that sit like lumps of stone (very unhappy stone, at that) behind their tables. You have gotten fantatic advice here from great individuals. I just wanted to add my $.02 as a customer.
Thanks for listening,
Paul Davidson

Since this subject has been brought up. I would like to recomend and alternative not discussed yet.

That is to say hire a consultant. EDGE Consulting will guarantee results or your money back.

Products include (but not limited to):
Business Plan.
Marketing Plan.
Prouduct Mix.
Long Range forcasting.
Short Range forcasting.

$1,000.00 gets you a business plan and marketing plan.

Sounds like a lot, but it's not really. Thats not even 3 ads in Blade. And they do not guarantee results. I do.

Feel free to contact me at rccedge@csranet.com

Remember people don't plan to fail, they just fail to plan.

Les

THANKS EVERYONE!!! Now if I could only get my butt out in my shop and back at it the way I was when I first started.

------------------

Back