1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Defense Weapon Of Choice

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Oct 26, 2017.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    My personal choice is a Remington 870 12 gauge with a 20" barrel, backed up by a Glock 17. There is also a Taurus Model 85 on the nightstand.
    What do you guys rely on to keep your family and home safe?

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  2. jbarsquat

jbarsquat Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Nice choices John! I have a glock 19 bedside, and a Sig P229 in my home office. I have a 10” barreled AR15 that is always at the ready as well.

JJ_Colt45 and JK Knives like this.
  3. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Too many items to individually list.
    Baseball bats, staffs, shotguns, rifles, handguns, knives freakin' everywhere, ADT surveillance and alarms, a big dog, and me...a large, malcontented, well trained grouch.
    It would probably be the worst career move ever for a criminal to enter my house.

JK Knives likes this.
  4. B JACKSON

B JACKSON

Sep 19, 2012
    SAK Tinker.

and some other stuff;)

5. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I won't post everything or locations but theres a Remington 870 Police model 18" ... a Sig Sauer P220 with a light on the rail ... A S&W 627 Pro Series ... a customized 1911 ... and a Fenix or Surefire flashlight stored with each ...

Then there are several other options in a couple safes if something catastrophic came knocking

JK Knives likes this.
  6. rdrogers

rdrogers Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Mossberg 500. Kicks like a mule. I need to upgrade the grip. Stays under the bed.

JK Knives likes this.
  7. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    IMG_0612.JPG First line of defense

8. cbwoods67

cbwoods67 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Is she going to snuggle them to death?:D

I haven't brought any of my guns down here yet, but I keep my DBH within reach of the bed.

[​IMG]

mqqn, darsk20 and JK Knives like this.
  9. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Suppressed CZ Scorpion SBR

Rob Babcock, Lapedog and JK Knives like this.
  10. YoungCurmudgeon

YoungCurmudgeon

Oct 15, 2014
    Currently have a Beretta 92FS in a quick access lock-box (we have small kids) at the bed side.

I'm working on (bought it today) adding an AR pistol to the HD arsenal.

JK Knives likes this.
  11. jbarsquat

Feb 22, 2017
    Congrats on the new toy! I mean, tool for home defense.

12. YoungCurmudgeon

YoungCurmudgeon

Oct 15, 2014
    Thanks. It will be a work in progress. I have to decide which brace to use, I need to pick an optic, and get a light.

How do you have yours set up?

13. jbarsquat

Feb 22, 2017
    MFT minimalist stock (yes I paid for the tax stamp) and a trijicon MRO that I like, but I’m not in love with. Might sell that off for an eotech XPS. No light at this point but I’m open to suggestions.

14. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I'm down to my 336, but it's in the PS, so my face is my home defense weapon for now.;)

Rob Babcock likes this.
  15. protourist

protourist “It's just the normal noises in here !" Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I keep my place fairly messy so thieves have to avoid the mess. In the clear areas I have strategically placed legos, jacks and skateboards on the floor.

WValtakis, 1066vik, Barman1 and 3 others like this.
  16. YoungCurmudgeon

YoungCurmudgeon

Oct 15, 2014
    The optic is what I'm waivering on the most. The MRO (what are your thoughts?), Aimpoint Pro, and Leupold Deltapoint Pro all seem to be solid choices and I have no clear favorite. It may very well come down to whichever I find the cheapest. I've had good luck in the past buying used scopes (traditional rifle style), but I don't know if that is a viable option with red-dots.

For a light I think I'll (eventually) get a Streamlight rail mount HL-X. The Inforce WMLs look good. Of course anything from Surefire is awesome, but expensive. I think the Streamlight will hit the sweet spot for price, capabilities, and durability. HD is serious business, but the likelihood of me ever using anything for that purpose is so small, that I can't justify the expense of a light built for actual combat zones (i.e. Surefire).

17. mykel m

Sep 11, 2009
    Marbles Mack, ya need marbles too.(on the floor ;))

18. jbarsquat

Feb 22, 2017
    Gotta have the marbles!
    My only gripe with the MRO is that when you are moving at all and shooting it is really easy to cast a red glare across the glass. Aimpoints and eotechs don’t have this problem but have their own issues. None are perfect to me, if I could get the aimpoint battery life in an eotech body I would be very happy. I bought a vortex strike fire used on Craigslist and had great luck.

19. protourist

protourist “It's just the normal noises in here !" Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    I did have them at one time but I lost 'em.

B JACKSON likes this.
  20. mykel m

Sep 11, 2009
    :rolleyes: