Hook uses

Vaguely off topic....

The European way is always interesting. We rarely use string here in the USA, so the hook is a mystery to us. I have never used it myself.

There was once a long thread here where we Americans decided Victorninox should dispense with the corkscrew. You should have heard the uproar from the Europeans. They use the corkscrew every day and for almost every meal. They drink more wine than we do. They drink it like we drink cola or beer.

It was the Bohemian Europeans vs. the Puritannical Americans. How stereotypical. It got rather heated, as I remember.

We tend to drink more beer, I guess, and they drink corked wine. We Americans were amazed to discover the Europeans have wine with lunch and dinner, and the wine is kept sitting out on the dining table, not locked away in a liquor cabinet as it would be here.

All in all, I think the European have a more common-sense view of alcohol. They enjoy it. We fear it.

You saw some things right, and some things wrong :p.
I have yet to go to a shop and get my things wrapped up with cords. NEVER happened to me in my whole life!
We don't drink wine every lunch and dinner. I even seriously doubt many French people do. But, the wine bottle stays on the table until it is empty, another may follow (and even many more).
We (talking about Belgians now) also enjoy beer very much.

But a Vic isn't a Vic without the corkscrew.

Zwaplat said:
You saw some things right, and some things wrong

As usual. :)

Zwaplat said:
But a Vic isn't a Vic without the corkscrew.

I will differ with you on that one. ;) I'd say a Swiss isn't a Swiss without (1) the bottle opener combined with the large flathead screwdriver, or without (2) the can opener combined with the smaller flathead screwdriver (that can also double in a pinch as a driver for a crosshead screw).

I've used them to untangle backlashes in the spools of deep sea fishing reels

I have also seen a tool, shaped like a screwdriver, but where the head would be, there is a hook, and I was told it was used to separate brake cables. Perhaps the SAK hook could do the same

I'm French, and my parents drink wine "normally" (to the french point of view), they drink it only at dinner, one or two glasses, and drink water too. For the Vic's corkscrew, they wouldn't use it, they prefer this kind of corkscrews:http://www.chaillot.ch/produit.shtml, which require less strength to uncork a bottle.

the bottle stays on the table too, at least when the temperature is not too bad. I've never heard of a bad story with wine and kids... the only ones I've heard are about kids and champagne at parties (people often don't totally finish their glasses).

I personally don't drink alcohol (I'm 21), but I can say people of my generation drink lots more beer than wine...

Zwaplat said:
You saw some things right, and some things wrong :p.
I have yet to go to a shop and get my things wrapped up with cords. NEVER happened to me in my whole life!
same for me, the only thing wrapped in string to come in my mind is roastbeef... maybe in the past string was used for packages, but I wasn't born when this tradition has been lost.

hope this helps.

Sonny Burnett said:
Look at the picture below. The drawings explain all kinds of uses of the Victorinox tools, including the hook.

(click thumbnail for larger image)

Can someone repost this image? The link doesn't work now.

after a short google search with "victorinox" and "swisschamp", I found this one:
victorinox-bricege-swisschamp.jpg

hope this helps

Back