Horse or Bear scat ????

Came across this today, my instincts tell me it's horse but it looks more like bear scat, what do y'all think ?

I can tell you for a fact that it is one of these two animals and not moose, Elk or anything else !!!!

P7310003.jpg

Well, I've never seen horse scat like that, usually it is a soupy pie. But I have no idea what bear scat looks like.

I'd be interested to see what everyone thinks...

Have you broken it up to have a look at what its' been eating?

The diet may help give you some clues as to which one it is.

Kind regards
Mick

That is not bear scat, it is most probably an elk, moose, possibly horse that left those droppings. Definitely not a bear, bears usually have seeds in their scat and seldom leave pellet style feces.

My quess is horse. I don't come accross a lot of bear scat in southern Arizona so I couldn't say for sure.

A Google search for bear scat images might help with identification.

Seen plenty of moose droppings and those are way too big. To me they look more horse-like.

This is a pretty cool thread, we should have more like it. Perhaps we could all learn about animal scat, tracks, sign etc. Seems the only appropriate thing to do with the upcoming hunting seasons.

I know for sure it's not Elk or Moose. We don't get Moose on the Island and the Elk population are at least 150 miles away! There have been black bears in the area where I was, but I think maybe Flix is correct with a dehydrated Horse. The weather has been that hot these past few days and humidity high at around 36 degrees!

I have seen Bear scat before and know that it usually contains seeds but we are now between berries, the thimble berries and salmon berries have all gone and we are now waiting for the black berries and salal to become ripe so any bears in the area would be on a diet of predominantly grass ! Still thinking horse though !!!

It's not horse manure. I've seen a lot of that, and that ain't from a horse. Well, unless it's from a miniature.

Andy

It looks like horse scat, just half sized. You must be tracking someone's pony!

Them ain't road apples. I've been around horses for longer than I really want to admit right now.

Back