How did you become a knife knut?

I've always liked knives. My first experiences as a kid were with the cheapo K-mart special SAK wannabes, and to think I still like knives even after that traumatic experience.
wink.gif

Drifted for a while and then one day I saw the Sebenza for the first time and BAM I was in love....took me 3 years to get one, in the interim checked out many others including the Military(my other fav). The rest, as they say, is history.

------------------
"Worst of all my foes, I fear the enemy within"
*John Wesley*

Romans 10:9-10

"Military" Fans Unite!!

When my dad gave me a Buck knife (some folder) I was hooked but it was a few years later that I really became a knife nut.
smile.gif

Started with Conan the Destroyer - wanted that mace Wilt Chamberlin uses (still do want something like that). From there, got into swords, then wild stuff like that. Eventually I got into any knives, learned more bout them, got the better ones...etc.

Ka-Bar Next Generation is my 1st "real" knife

Ever since I was a child, I exposed to the outdoors, and to knives - since they go hand in hand. My years in the martial arts also added to my interest. After seeing the movie First Blood in 1985, my interest in survival knives, and knives as a hobby, really kicked in.

Well, I'm originally from West Virginia, which speaks volumnes itself, and my Grandma remembers me sitting on the curb rubbing an old pocket knife against it to sharpen it, that's before I was in first grade, so it's been a very long time condition that I've had.

The doctor said I've too much iron in my blood which certainly adds a chemical factor. Don't remember any one point in my life that directed me towards edge weapons, just always loved them. Unfortunately now that I'm older, I have the means to purchase a whole bunch of them, whether or not I need them!!! much to my wife's displeasure....
wink.gif

Oh Well!
Taking up collections towards an Umfaan....

G2

------------------
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me,
it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

After thinking this over for a while, I tried to figure out what made my fervor really leap during my teen years, and it hit me, Edgar Rice Burroughs novels on Tarzan, don't laugh, but I think I've read just about the whole series. I always like the good guy he portrayed and his high moral standards were reflected in the stories plus the fact that he always seemed to have a knife sparked the flame for me.
Living on a farm during the last part of High School helped in getting back to nature, we had a nice large woods to get lost in and make little cabins and such. One thing that I wouldn't do now, but was great fun, was to climb into a tree and go to the top where the branches were thinner and flexible, grab onto a branch with one hand and jump to the next tree where I would grab onto another branch with my free hand and continue until I traveled through the tree tops. Our fields had trees bordering or dividing them and I'd swing down the line. Great fun, a real feeling of being free. I know, sounds crazy, but hey that was back when video games weren't around and we only had one channel on television, you had to come up with something to do? Gave the arms and shoulders a great workout to boot! Now that I weigh a little more then those days, I think I'll stay ground bound...
wink.gif

G2

------------------
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me,
it is the parts that I do understand.
Mark Twain

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

I guess it was about the same time I became a Cub Scout and got that fixed blade/hatchet set with the combo sheath. My Dad and I got the knife so sharp that one time I cut the end off of one finger, including the tip of the nail, while slicing a strip of paper into two pieces.

I was doing "Scarry Sharp"(TM) before anyone, just didn't think to trademark the name.

Dwight

------------------
This post is a natural product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

In my family, it is assumed from birth that the male children shall become men by bringing meat from the field--meaning you gotta have camo, firearms, knives, bows, etc from an early age. I was the kid in the family who demanded a bunch of knives--no one knows why.

I to got started in the cub scouts when I was a wee lad and thought the four blades on the knife that could do all those neat things was just great. i also started out with a Impeerial fixed blade knife that I use to sharpen on the curb EEEEEKK!! Every since then I have always carried a knife when It was possible even now when it isn't possible I need to have at least one knife on me or I feel naked.The one I used the most was an old Timer that I bought when I was twenty I still have that and it tends to be one of my favorits.

My dad always had an interest in knives and made sure that his were sharp. Although I kind of remember maybe having a Boy Scout pocket knife, I do remember having the official Plumb hatchet, the knife that got me started on learning how to care for and sharpen knives was an Old Timer stockman, a pocketknife that my parents let me pick as a gift when I was about 10. I've pretty much had some sort of knife around since then, although my focused interest comes and goes.

A kind of related note .... I was at a gun show recently to mainly look at knives, took my son along, and ended up looking closely at some Puma knives. The salesman said that he had taken a White Hunter to SE Asia in 1965 and that it got a lot of use even by the pilots with their Randalls (I'm guessing he kept his knife sharpened), and I said that I was considering getting a White Hunter for my dad as one of my uncles had given him one when he went to SE Asia in 1965, and later on he had a Puma Bowie. I ended up buying one of the stag handled White Hunter IIs that were on sale. It's not a knife that I would have purchased for myself but my son was very impressed, and after it's engraved with my dad's name and we all sign the sheath it should make a little present. I'll leave the factory edge on as I could never sharpen knives as well as my dad anyway.

Back