How Did You Get Into Spydercos

I was going through my drawers today and found my superblue stretch, which is the first Spyderco I ever had. Thought it might be fun to post some pictures of your first Spyderco; and if you feel like it, talk about how/why you got your first Spyderco.

Sorry in advance, as this will be a long post... Feel free to scroll to the bottom and enjoy the pictures.

For me, I remember seeing the ads for Spyderco in outdoors magazines as a kid and thinking that they looked a bit odd. It was always ads for the H1 knives, so the yellow threw me off I think. But the design did catch my eye, and in the back of my mind it stuck.

Fast forward into my teens, and I tracked a deer that someone had neglected to recover and found him dead. Unfortunately, I didn’t expect to find a deer at the end and I didn’t have a knife with me. After that, I decided that I should always have a pocket knife, because you might never know when you would need it.

The first “high end” (I thought it was at the time) knife I got was a camillus with a vg-10 blade and a poorly designed clip that had terrible tension. It ended up falling out of my pocket somewhere on top of a mountain, and I never saw it again.

After that, I realized that by spending a little more, I’d be getting a much better quality product. Enter: my first Spyderco. At this point, I consciously knew about the existence of Spyderco, and remembered seeing the ads. So I started looking around, and lo and behold they had a folding knife designed for hunters: the stretch. I watched all the reviews I could find on YouTube, read everything I could, but was uncertain—mostly because I couldn’t hold one before I bought, it as there were no local stores that had them. Finally, I decided that I might as well just bite the bullet and try it out.

As I was about to buy the vg-10 model, I discovered that they also made sprints, and was immediately intrigued. So instead I bought the superblue sprint, which sparked my tool steel love affair.

Since then, I’ve had 6 Spyderco’s, although I currently only have 4 (all in tool steels). My current favorite is the pm2 in M4, and that’s the one I generally reach for if I know I’ll be using a knife. I’ve also tried other brands and been more or less disappointed with certain aspects, which has solidified my opinion of spydercos as a whole.

M0YAVfK.jpg

ckJQek3.jpg

FnapgEQ.jpg

Back in the 90's, Spyderco and Benchmade were what the cool kids in law enforcement were carrying...in my outfit and others. So, I got me some and never looked back.

(I can't remember if the 440V Military was my first, but if it wasn't, it was one of the first I purchased. And still have among a few others from back in that time frame.)

A friend of mine had a Worker that his stepfather had given him, and it was unlike any other knife I had seen or used. Up that point my only knife was a Schrod SP3, and that oddly shaped knife with the clip and hole in the blade just fascinated me. A couple years later, I was in Jumbo Sports with my folks, and discovered they had a pretty sizable knife counter. I pored over that thing for about 30 minutes before picking out a serrated Police model. I used that thing for everything, and carried it everywhere. Eventually, I had to retire it because I didn't have the means to sharpen the serrations.

I've strayed from the brand a couple times over the years, but I always come back. I have yet to find anything that can compete as far as ergonomics and sharpness.

I got turned on to Spyderco by bladeforums. I was getting into upgrading my maglite, and someone on another forum mentioned this site. Read a bunch and decided to give the affordable Tenacious a shot. Loved the blade shape and quality. My second Spyderco was the M390/CF Military, and now I must buy every sprint variant to try different steels. For me the Military is THE perfect knife.

When I decided to try out Spyderco, back in December 2017, I bought what I considered to be a good representation of most of what Spyderco offered, the PM 2 and Para 3. I am not a huge fan of back-locks (or liner/frame locks either) but I do like the compression lock. I haven't carried them all that much, but am starting to use them more often and they are certainly well made knives.

I also bought a NOS Positron a couple of months later that I rather like as well. So far, that's all I have and there ain't no more.

fETegTi.jpg

Long story short, my oldest brother was going through his things when he was about to move out of state. He had 2 Harpy's in plain edge that he gave to me and my other brother. That was probably around 1996ish. It was also my first pocket knife.

The BladeForums initially then buying one and then the floodgates opened.

had a tenacious for years and hated it...still don't like it actually and I just did not care for spyderco knives...then one day ended up getting a native 5 and loved it...went from there to today when I won't buy anything but spyderco knives

First Spyderco was bought in 1992 at a PX in Panama. Wish I still had it...not even sure what happened to it, because Panama.

I was a kid in the late 90's and saw them I think in a catalogue of some kind. Ended up getting one at a local store and eventually lost it. I must've been twelve or so. Fast forward several years I was at REC in Ohio and saw a native SE black in the consignment case and bought it. I still have that one around here somewhere! (We just moved). I had the chance to visit their factory outlet last year in Golden and they have all kinds of cool stuff in there, they have pieces of the World Trade Center and they sent knives to support efforts with that whole mess to first responders. The staff was really nice and they sharpened some knives for some bikers who were passing through. It was cool talking shop with the shop guys and they seemed to really be enjoying working there.

Anyways now I see how down to Earth Spyderco and it's owners are, appreciate that they continue innovating and interacting with their customers, have cool good quality designs in a lot of price ranges, and they just make one heck of a knife. The PM2 is my favorite and that series has to be one of the most iconic knives made at this point.

I always loved how they had the spydie hole and thought that was really innovative. Nowadays, most days, a PM2 is in my pocket. Used one today to cut the stalks of some ivy before pulling it off the garage. A few of them were pretty thick.

vxV72Xi.jpg

I’d say my pre Spyderco introduction was in the ‘90s when I got a Buck Odessey, first knife I owned with a cutout/hole for opening. I was immediately hooked but didn’t have or was unwilling to spend Spyderco money. I tried a CRKT flipper and liked it at the time but it didn’t last. Once I bought my first Spyderco(Endura) I was absolutely hooked an haven’t looked back, don’t think I ever will. I’m so pleased with my current stable of Spydercos it takes a little joy out of the search for the next knife.....perhaps a plain edge Caribbean sheepsfoot....

Last edited:
My first Spydie was a Caly 3 in VG-10. I think I bought it around 1999 and used it for my work/office knife for four/five yrs. A great knife...
Since then, I've had rather large collections of PM2 and Millies which are ALL GONE now...
But, I still have a couple of folders here, including a Slysz Bowie (XHP) and a Gayle Bradley 2 in M4.
Wonderful knives.... and Sal is the greatest CEO ever...

Christmas 1998 I think. Shooting fire arms down by the creek at my buddies house. A long time friend that I hadn’t seen in a long time showed up out of nowhere with a couple of full auto Uzi pistols and a strange knife I had never seen. Spyderco POLICE full serrated.

I was blown away by the fit and finish of the folder. I had been carrying Case canoes for at least a decade. The Spydie hole was undeniably useful, kinda cool too. I released the back lock and the blade swung down and cut my forefinger with ease. It was love at first slice.

My wife bought me the plain edge version in 2000 or 2001 for Christmas

My current favorite Spydie is the Gayle Bradley 2

39ZpvK1.jpg

These were my first (along with a fully serrated SS Police, of course!):

8wh00ZG.jpg

When I started collecting they were about the most innovative folding knife on the market and I recall them being received somewhat skeptically because of the handle material and the "pie-slice" blade shape (with a hole, no less!). I mostly had Cold Steel folders and Benchmade autos at the time so I had to check the weird new Spydercos. They've been a staple in this hobby for me since then.

Back in 97 I worked with a new boy fireman that liked knives. His dad was a highway patrolman.
Darren would always brag to me about his old man's Spydercos. I went to Fred Baker's Outdoor
America and bought a Gen 1 Native lightweight. I was proud of that knife and carried it for quite a while.
Been buying Spyderco products ever since.:thumbsup:

1e3J90K.jpg

Last edited:
When I saw Cliffhanger, I discovered that I needed one..1993 maybe? Got it at a gun show. Full serrated delica. Still occasionally carry it.

1989. Mariner SE. It has been retired. Endela SE is my choice when I leave the house.

I was interested in trading one of my knives for something new and someone offered me a BBS PM2, so I figured why not. Turns out I don’t like the PM2, but there were things I did like about the knife.

Between then and now I’ve had 4 other Spyderco knives that didn’t work out for one reason or another.

Late last year I bought a Drunken and it’s a keeper! My only complaint being the clip, which I fixed recently. Last month I figured I’d give the Maxamet Para3 a try and it’s also a fantastic knife, but also needed a better clip. On Monday I received a Paysan which I’m enjoying so far.

I bought my first Spyderco in the 90s --a partially serrated Endura in ATS-55. Back then, the only reputable brands being sold in our country were Spyderco, Benchmade and Cold Steel.

Many many years ago, I dropped by the local hardware shop looking to get a new Victorinox Swiss Army knife. Maybe a Swisschamp or similar. The shopkeeper told me he wanted to recommend to me some other folding knives he'd got in stock, that were not multi bladed like the Vics I was used to, but had much better steel (what an understatement). Odd looking knives they were too, all had large holes in the blades. And so I left the shop with a fully serrated folding knife that had the word MILITARY (the A being an upside down V) etched on the S30V blade, and started sliding down the slippery Spydie slope :)

Back