How do you define Blade/Knife Failure in the woods??

If despite being sharp it has very low cutting power.
If it squirms in my hand when the handle isn't just bone dry and pristine, or in some other way feels like a hazard.
If I'm constantly aware of it either because it is too big or it is intrusive in some other way.
If it produces foul smells when I cut stuff with it – bit like trying to each lunch next to someone with BO.
If it is terrible to use with winter gloves on.
If it corrodes like my golok does – there's just no need to put up with that on a utility knife.
If there is only a narrow band of good grip options.
If a more simple knife can out perform it at the same tasks. [eg. A simple Stanley knife could do everything I'd use one of those 'tin knives' for and more – fail! A cooks knife could compete with some of what my primary knife is used for, but my primary knife does more than that – Retained].

Excessive edge maintenance would obviously get a knife binned – because there's no need to put up with that, or it's a clue it isn't made from some appropriate material, or despite being made from appropriate stuff it was made badly.

Even more valid points

You gotta admit---I can ask a great question

and you all on THIS FORUM--can provide OUTSTANDING answers

I don't see how being poorly chosen is a fault or failure of the knife.
For me-an unexpected catastrophic failure, as in it breaks or suffers serious damage doing something it should have been able to handle. That may vary considerably from one blade to the next. You can render any knife unusable in a matter of seconds, so I don't count "user error" as a failure.

Failure is defined by the man holding the knife

One man's failure might be another man's minor issue.

There are no right or wrong answers--just personal opinions on what each of us is willing to accept(or not accept).

Keep the answers coming

Back