How do you guys save money around the home?

So I have a kid due in a week or so. The daddy meter is going off on how I am going to afford keeping my wife at home (less one income) to raise our newborn. Right now I pay $118 just for cable/highspeed, $34 for blockbuster, $0 for phone (Got rid of it, if they need me they can call me on my business cell). First I don't need to spend $152 a month for home entertainment, so I am going back to basic cable $13 + $49 for Highspeed. Everything else goes bye bye.

Anyways, that's only a start. What do you guys do to save money around the home.

Thanks,

Ryan

PS. Oh yeah, eating at home will start soon too. You have no idea how much money I waste eating out almost every damn meal. Married with baby = time to grow up and start budgeting. Help!

Go to the local Library; you can get books and movies for free. Many library systems now have on-line reservations.

Buy in bulk and use your freezer. Don't shop for one day at a time, shop for the whole week.

Knife passarounds; don't buy it, try it instead. It will just end up sitting in your drawer anyway.

And congratulations and good luck with the upcoming bundle of joy. Fatherhood is the best thing that ever happened to me!

Wow, in the same boat (except about 3 weeks to daddyhood).

One decent trick is to sign up for a cheap netflix subscription instead of Blockbuster. I've been streaming movies from them (since you already have high speed)...they don't have everything, but enough to keep me entertained. Hulu.com also lets you stream a lot of options...so much so that I don't even have any real way to watch tv any more, it all runs through a laptop to the tv.

Good luck (and I'm hurting even more since a patch of ice slid me into a curb and destroyed a rim today...lousy timing since it's our only 'snow car', and I'm having visions of needing to rush to the hospital).

I don't envy anybody raising kids right now but I guess it's the same for every generation.You sound like you found some savings with the things that you listed.Don't be afraid to check out yard sales and even Goodwill or thrift shops for toys and clothes,some of the stuff needs a good cleaning but kids don't wear out clothes or toys in the first few years,you can save a good bit that way.Congrats and good luck:D

Since you'll be eating at home more, pay attention when grocery shopping. Just for an example I went grocery shopping on Thursday. Milk was $3.99/gal but half gallons were on sale. 4 for $5. I bought two halves at $2.50. Saved a buck and a half. Not much but it adds up.

Use coupons but use 'em wisely. If you get a coupon for something you don't normally use, toss it. Unless its something you want to try.

With two teen-aged kids, my wife and I spend about $400/month on groceries alone. That doesn't include runs to the convenience store on occasion for milk or bread.

Try getting your fruit and vegetables at a fruit/farm market. The prices are better than the big chain super markets and the quality is usually better. Its an extra trip but, again, it adds up.

Spend some time trying generic/store brand items. Some are terrible but some are just as good as the big name products.

Don't spend a ton on the best diapers. They'll go through 'em too quick to notice and my kids never complained. Even the cheap ones are better than what you and I wore and we turned out okay.

Your vehicles are older than they were when you first got them insured. Check around for lower rates then, if you like who you are with, take the quotes to your company and get your rates lowered. I check in with mine about every 18 months.

No movies. A trip to the theater for two costs $25 on a cheap night here. Wait for the DVD.

Take a lunch to work at least three times a week. More if possible. I could spend $7 at McDonalds or Subway but I take stuff from home. You can get budget minded stuff from the grocery store and spend less than $2 on lunch. If you do that three times a week you save $60/month. $720/year.

Hope some of this helps. I've been doing the "I've got kids" budget for 19 years. You learn as you go. Its a huge change in life but it works out. Do you wake a sleeping baby and take it out because you're in the mood for Buffalo Wild Wings. No. Its easier to make something in the microwave so you stay home and save a couple $ and avoid the hassle. You'll be fine.

Congrats on the new baby. You've got a long row to hoe ahead of you. Enjoy every minute of it and don't let money make the rules. Braces, medical bills, time off work because you little one is sick and clarinet recitals are a pain but you'll make it through. If you do it right, the pride you feel is going to feel like its about to burst out of you like the Alien.

R

+ 1 for the library!
Depending on where you are, they are not just for books anymore. In many places you can check out videos, music, art and even recreational equipment. if the library around the corner does not have much, check out your county library. no pun intended.

Check out the dollar store for canned and boxed groceries, you might save a bundle there. Takes a little thinking ahead, and maybe a few substitutions, but you can save on the food bill.

Go to goodwill and salvation army stores, especially near 'rich" nieghborhoods, and ask when the major stores donate clothes. big savings there too. Also, although it might sound a bit harsh, many people in the throws of divorce dump an amazing amount of high quality stuff towards goodwill type stores, just so their ex spouse won't get it. Timing is everything.

Sometimes, especially this time of year, furniture rental stores sell last years equipment at bargain prices. Especially appliances and furniture, TV's, etc..

Learn to make and repair things

As mentioned here before, you can save a hell of a lot of money by buying second hand clothing and toys for the kid (if this is your first kid then your wife my not be so anxious to do that, but some of that stuff looks brand new)

Secondly, after about six months (of breastfeeding) make your own baby food by liquidising unspiced grown-up food.

Good luck :thumbup:

You need to see if you qualify for WIC if you already haven't. It's "Women and Infant Children" or something like that. They help out with vouchers for milk,cereal,juice and the like. Call your county health office or ask at the hospital or your doctor. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Good luck! Your about to begin the most exciting and rewarding trip of your life!

Go to the local Library; you can get books and movies for free. Many library systems now have on-line reservations.

+1, I am a voracious reader, and last year started making a commitment to use the library more and the savings was surprising.

Congratulations on having a baby on the way, that's really awesome (Don't tell my girlfriend I just said that:eek: :)).

Here are some things my girlfriend and I do to pinch the pennies:

No heat, I don't know the climate where you're at but sometimes it gets to the low thirties in our house but we have zero insulation so we simply cant afford to put the heater on (hot water bottles in the bed are excellent). If it's a cold day I'll bake bread/dinner. I also read somewhere that most houses are very poorly insulated with drafts coming in through all of the sockets, and other various places (a non-issue for me because I have absolutly no insulation and holes in the wall - "vents"). You might want to look into that, heavy curtains/blankets up at the windows help too I guess. What we used to do at mums where its hot (like 90-100 degrees) in the day but cool (around 50) at night is open the windows at night, and close them in the morning, that kept the house cool all day if we didn't open the front door too much.

Like everybody said, I like to use the library when I can (I do like to own my books sometimes, then I buy used online). I don't ever buy movies though. Libraries should be the center of every town!

Look into non-disposable diapers. It's something I know nothing about but it might be a cheaper option. Non-disposable anything tends to end up cheaper in the long run.

I duno how much you spend on trash but you could reduce the amount you get with a compost pile and recycling. We have an insert in our trash can so its smaller and cheaper for us (...or our landlord) and we still only bother taking it out every few weeks.

Food really is one of the most important and enjoyable things in mine and Kate's lives - doing it well makes us more active, healthier, and happier. Cooking together makes it more fun, putting time into cooking makes it better tasting and more satisfying, and eating together is incredibly sociable and important. I find it very difficult to eat well if I'm alone.

There are a few things that we do with regards to food (If we're really pinched we can manage to only spend 30 dollars between us for dinners for a whole month, probably less but we haven't been quite that poor yet!):

I bake all our bread, 100% whole wheat. It really doesn't take much work at all, really about a half hour of actual work, the rest is waiting, so I do it when I know I'll have some time off (PM me if you want a decent, reliable recipe). It freezes well also, so you can make a week or two's worth in one go.

It's just me and Kate, so when we cook dinners we make a gallon and freeze two person portions. We cook a bunch of dinners on one day and stock the freezer up, that way we just take them out of the freezer in the morning and heat them up at night. (PM me for some tasty recipes!) I try out recipes that work then store them on my computer so over time I am building up a decent amount so I can have more of a variety, not everything freezes well. By doing this we eat less because they are pre-made portions, usually a little smaller then regular portions but then I fill up on bread which comes out at less then a buck a loaf. By planning the meals like this there is absolutly no wasted ingredients whatsoever because you plan what to cook and buy the exact amount you need.

Plan your meals around what is in season or buy lots of veg when its in season and can/freeze it. Can marinara sauce, chicken soup etc if you have a pressure canner (watch out for botulism). Find local fruit trees in peoples garden, people rarely eat as much fruit as they produce, give them some homemade jam or something for their generosity.

We eat less meat. People (at least in America) tend to eat far more meat then is necessary, it's expensive! Me and Kate will save up a hundred bucks and goto costco and buy predominantly meat to keep in the freezer for when we're cooking. With the exception of bacon :D.

We tend to eat non-processed whole foods because they are cheaper and better tasting. Simple as that. Buying packaged food may be convenient, but most of the time it's not worth it at all.

Some frivolous stuff that we enjoy but wouldn't normally be able to afford we make ourselves:

Bread - I mentioned it earlier though. No way I can afford 3 or 4 bucks for a tasteless loaf of bread you find pre-made/sliced/packaged in the store. I used think it tasted pretty good if you bought the more expensive brand of sliced bread at the store, but now I make my own, the store bought bread is just awful to me...I'm ruined for homemade bread!

I just got a sausage stuffer for Christmas so now we make sausage that would normally be bought for 9 bucks a pound for less then a buck fifty a pound. Best sausage I ever had!

We brew our own beer, can be as cheep as 50 cents a pint and all you really need is a big pot and a big jar. We had accumulated much much more equipment over the past few years though :eek:.

I'm planing on getting started with making my own cheese, I don't think it's any cheaper then the cheep rubbery cheese unless I can find a good source of milk, but I'll bet its tastier!

I'm sure there is more that we do but I can't for the life of me remember anything. Take what you will from those tips, not everybody can do everything :).

Oh yeah, I duno about those regular light bulbs but Kate and I use the energy saving ones and our electric bill is so low they only charge us the minimum. It's probably not solely due to the bulbs though.

Congratulations! Your life is about to change for the better!

A new baby and you are thinking about watching movies? BWAHAHAHAHA! Cancel the cable and sell the telly. You can listen to the radio whilst you are changing nappies and making up bottles.

Make all your own lunches.

Buy terry nappies and wash them. Get a few budget disposables for emergencies.

Breast feed, don't bottle feed. Means you get more sleep too, hehe!

Buy food from the basic ranges. You will be too tired to taste it anyway.

DON'T spend a fortune on baby stuff, there is loads of scarcely used stuff floating about. Friends, neighbours and relatives will probably unload lots onto you anyway.

Start saving now for school/college/wedding. put a hundred or so a month into a solid, broadly based, regular savings fund. Your compatriots will know the most tax-efficient way to do it.

Have fun!

Andy

Check out from the library - or buy - Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book. See also daveramsey.com. Its just a common sense approach to making a budget and getting out of debt. Mrs. Powernoodle and I have gotten completely out of debt, including paying off the house and cars. Its the only way to live.

:thumbup:

The biggest savings comes from past decisions; not being overburdened with financial responsibilities makes it much simpler to get through the tough times.

We bought a historic home that was relatively run down and in much need of a complete restoration. Not only did it cost a mere $24/square foot, but our payment is only $600/month and our taxes are $400/year. I've done nearly all of the restoration myself (plumbing, carpentry, electrical, plastering, masonry, etc.), and we make expensive improvements only when the funds allow.

It's a general rule of mine, only one car payment at a time. During months that my income is very high, buying another vehicle or upgrading is very tempting. But I have to be aware that the next three months may have no income at all, and having one more payment during the down times could sink us good.

I've never purchased a new vehicle. My MO, buy the best used vehicle I can afford and drive it into the ground. Repeat every ten years. Besides, the kinds of new cars I could afford, I wouldn't want. ;)

It may not seem like a way to 'save' money, but my recreational driving is done mostly on the motorcycle. Insurance is $35/yr and she gets almost 50mpg. Compare the cost of driving the pickup (13mpg) for four days with the cost of driving the motorcycle (50mpg) for the same four days. Staying home is cheaper for sure, but doesn't suit me well.

I also use the bike (50mpg) or convertible (30mpg) for errands, leaving the truck (13mpg) parked unless absolutely necessary.

My new job is in town, meaning that for the first time I can use the motorcycle, convertible, or bicycyle for commuting - that's going to save me a fortune.

One Kid! One is enough for me anyway, but don't know how many times I've seen families who have bred themselves into poverty. Or young people who have missed out on their educations and potential careers by breeding too soon.

Keeping services to a minimum, like you said. $13 for television, cheap internet, one cell phone (no text messaging, no internet, low minutes, no voice mail) that we use for traveling, emergencies, and long distance calls. Land line for local calls and receiving calls.

so I am going back to basic cable $13 + $49 for Highspeed.
If you live near a city you can perhaps cut the cable completely. Buy some rabbit ears. Basic cable mostly just gets you the broadcast networks anyway. I'd describe internet as a 'luxury'. Use the library's for free.. Cut out those two things and you save $744/year.

I'm up in the air about the programmable thermostat. I'm not convinced that it actually saves us any money, but it at least makes us more comfortable for the same price.

In short, when things are good I like to spend money. I like toys, cars, knives, electronics, entertainment, whatever. But when things are tight, I'm perfectly capable of completely shutting off those spigots completely.

I wanted to mention a bit about babies as well. Been through the same thing...

Ditto what AWUK says about the milk - use the free stuff. Not only is it free, it's healthier too. I'm confident that's why Little Bob has rarely been sick. Sick baby = missed work + medical costs = very expensive.

And ditto on the hand-me-downs. We didn't even have to ask - friends and family gave us piles of stuff, some of which we barely used and passed on again. Babies really don't wear anything out...

Also, be skeptical when someone says there's something you 'must' have. Buy a special "changing table", for instance? Nah, get one of those changing pads for the dresser top.

Some people claim to save money with a diaper service instead of buying disposables. It's not an option here, but might be where you live.

Timing the baby's arrival may not be an option, but it really worked great for us, even if accidentally. Wife is a teacher and has summer's off. She also had tons of unused sick leave. Little Bob arrived at the end of April; wife had enough sick leave to miss the remainder of the school year, followed by three months of summer. By the time school started again in the fall, Little Bob was four months old and could start going to babysitting. So wife lost no pay at all, and was able to spend the critical four months dedicated to the baby.

Buy a radiant heater for the baby's room, instead of heating the entire house during the nights.

Check out from the library - or buy - Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book. See also daveramsey.com. Its just a common sense approach to making a budget and getting out of debt. Mrs. Powernoodle and I have gotten completely out of debt, including paying off the house and cars. Its the only way to live.

:thumbup:

well done PwrNdl !!!!! :thumbup: d. ram is on my radio every day on my way home. i'm 100% debt free. ( beans & rice )

Just a couple of items I have not noticed but used myself when times were tougher, The county health dept will do all the vacinations at a fraction of the cost (total cost 5 dollars, no office visit either) of going to the pediatrician. Our health dept. asks no questions as to income, just make an appointment and they have RN's to do the deed.

Also, learn to cut your own hair and the baby's too. You would be surprised how much you spend on hair cuts, especially two of you.

Good Luck on your new adventure,
Jim

My wife is the yard sale Queen, she buy, bought lovely vloths for the girls who are now 4 and 7. A buck of 2 for jeans is a lot better than $18 for new one. sometime you got to buck up a buy something new though.

We have no cable TV, our one luxury in DSL internet. My wife's cell phone is piggybacked off a friends plan for $10 a month. and you don't get to go out and do much. Go to parks that are close buy, have a picky nick.

you can't really afford alot of extra vehicles, upkeep, insurance, license plates

Kick it into survival mode, if you don't need it don't buy it. On delivery you cease to exist. you need milk, diapers, not stuff.

If where you live offers a program to help out with baby formula, milk, cereral, sing up, you are feeding your kids. here it is call the WIC program. I saw someone mention going to your health department you pay taxes, get back all you can!!!! !!!! !!!!

Get the little poop machine potty trained as soon as possible, diapers are expensive.

going through Dave Ramsey will open your eyes, even if you don't follow it to the T, it even really opened my wife's eyes.

you and your lady are a team work together, no need to get pissy over money.

time to grow up and be a man... With myself and wife and 2 kids finally getting into school helps cut down on expesnes. we are lucky to have some people to babysit that aren't to expensive.

I don't now how long your wife will stay home with Jr. but start looking for babysitter now, find one can be a bear, finding a good oneeven tougher, if you hear of someone that babysitter even though you have one, make a list. We have had sitter just quit for one reason or another.

I don't think you can save money ata time like this, just spend it wisely. Pat

[Tongue-in-cheek mode]You might consider moving to the UK. All the health care is free and the govt. give you a shedload of money for having a baby. Just a thought.[/tongue-in-cheek mode]

My wife and I have two young choldren, and a few years ago after some poor financial decisions over the course of the previous ten years or so, had built up around $70k worth of credit card debt. At the beginning of 2005 we changed our whole outlook on money and spending and turned things around. We cut up the credit cards had the credit card debt paid off in under two years.

Some of the changes we made were cancelling the daily newspaper subscription $15/mo, cancelling our 2nd phone line $25/mo, no broadband or cable, cancelling both of our cell phones and going with prepaid cells $65/mo, selling a couple of cars (we went from four cars down to two), selling a lot of other stuff we had around here, we saved on our electric bill by having the thermostat set higher in the summer, lower in the winter, we saved a lot on groceries by budgeting our money better, and we saved a couple hundred a month by only eating out once or twice a month instead of multiple times a week.

I'd also highly recommend picking up Dave Ramsey's book and listening in on his show if it is available in your area. Most of the advice he gives is more or less common sense when you stop to think about it, but so much of spending money is wrapped up in emotions that most people don't use common sense all that much with their money. If I had started following Dave Ramsey's principles a couple of decades ago instead of just a couple of years ago, things would be much different for us now. As it is, my wife and I will have our 30 year mortgage paid off in around 10-12 years (about 3 years from now), and will have the five cars in our garage paid for by the end of the year.

Good luck on being a new dad, store up as much sleep as you can now, you'll need it in a week or so.

Back