Recommendation? How do you store your knife collection?

I'm considering a Craftsman-like rolling tool chest with drawers for storing a few dozen bayonets & daggers, but its expensive. Can someone suggest a cheaper brand than Craftsman? Or a similar option? I don't need a glass display panel.

I like this cabinet, but cant seem to find it for sale:
Excel 14-Drawer Steel Tool Cabinet (Lowes.com)
50141376.jpg

I would look at Harbor Freight offerings as mentioned above. I store in plastic tubs.... just storing, not displaying.... All of the knives that I currently have an interest in are stored on my desk or on a book shelf. When I loose interest, they go into the tubs.

Be careful storing knives in metal toolboxes...rust is a killer.

I came to knives from the watch world, and I figure anything good enough for my watches is good enough for my knives. That being said, I think any felt lined drawer is fine for both.

You’re going to need significant space to store a few dozen bayonets and daggers. Since a lot or most of us are storing folders, I doubt that many of our typical solutions will help you. For example--I use a Plano “3700 Weekend Series Tackle Case” that holds four Plano 3700 or 3750 tackle boxes. The boxes have movable compartment spacers, they're great for storing folders (i.e: smaller knives) and the four boxes will hold around four dozen folders. However--there’s no way a few dozen bayonets and daggers would ever fit into my little storage system. You may end up having to resort to one of those big, expensive, professional quality tool storage chests or maybe a used dresser from Goodwill. Good luck with your hunt.

You’re going to need significant space to store a few dozen bayonets and daggers. Since a lot or most of us are storing folders, I doubt that many of our typical solutions will help you. For example--I use a Plano “3700 Weekend Series Tackle Case” that holds four Plano 3700 or 3750 tackle boxes. The boxes have movable compartment spacers, they're great for storing folders (i.e: smaller knives) and the four boxes will hold around four dozen folders. However--there’s no way a few dozen bayonets and daggers would ever fit into my little storage system. You may end up having to resort to one of those big, expensive, professional quality tool storage chests or maybe a used dresser from Goodwill. Good luck with your hunt.

Good point. If you've got an Ikea handy, you could maybe do something like this, they're $130. You'd want to line the drawers with something over the melamine.
alex-drawer-unit-on-casters-gray__0242205_PE381726_S4.JPG

Good point. If you've got an Ikea handy, you could maybe do something like this, they're $130. You'd want to line the drawers with something over the melamine.
Looks like a good suggestion, but one big thing with Ikea (if you don’t have access to one of their stores) is watching their shipping charges. I found what I thought was a good buy on their website one time--until I found that the shipping charge was more than the cost of the item (some budget assemble-it-yourself shelving thing) itself. At twice the website price, the item was priced universes beyond any reasonable price level and that was the end of Ikea for me.

I really like this chest it has my most often used knives in it with a few exceptions ... I may buy another like it ...

20190719_132713_resized.jpg

But a big bunch of my knives ... all my butchering and meat processing knives and older knives ... or those that don't get used as often are stored in a large lockable wooden cabinet by my gun safes.

I have several 10gal Husky totes from Home Depot...think I need to get another one:oops:

Back