• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

How many here still carry a traditional folding knife

We talk about the lastest "tactical" folders on a daily basis here. I'm wondering how many still carry a traditional slipjoint such as a Case or similar makes on a dialy basis.

------------------
Kelly

Deo Vindice

I always carry a small pocketknife, usually an SAK, but sometimes a 2 3/4" Uncle Henry stockman.

------------------
Frank
jqsurf@worldnet.att.net

Hi Kelly,
I do. I love to carry my Case Copperlock. I also like my Buck 501ms, 532ms, 532JB. As a matter of fact, since I have to wear dress pants most of the time, I usually have a traditional knife in my pocket.

I also carry my Calypso Jr, Lightweight Jess horn, and Meyerco Strut and Cut Rascal. I trade out the knives often.

I love the older styles.

------------------
~Greg~

I pretty much always carry two knives in pockets, my BM Stryker for hard use, or when its serrations are useful, and something with a razor edge. That other usually takes the shape of a Hammer Brand stockman, or more recently, a Perkins Seraph,
Aaron

------------------
aaronm@cs.brandeis.edu
I like my women like I like my knives: strong, sharp, well-formed and pattern-welded!

I have a bascket by the door full of knives.I usually grab three or four on my way out. The customs could be Carson,Elishewitz,Casteel, Crawford, Fisk. The factory are BM,MOD,Klotzi,SAK,Case,Buck,KissingCrane,Boker,CrippleCreek. I like trapper, canoe,congress,stockman traditional patterns.

Cheers,

ts

I trade out my carry knives pretty regularly, and it's not uncommon for me to carry traditional folders. I like them because they tend to take me back to when I was a child watching my Grandfather use his old Ka-Bar.

This also brings up another important point, cost. The traditional folders can be had for much less than the "Tacticals" so you can have a lot more of them. Also, my Grandfather wouldn't have spent over two dollars for a pocket knife and he worked them harder than most people today do. I find that I'm more apt to actually "use" a cheap traditional folder than the "High Tech Tactical". I always think twice before cutting on something with a knife I paid much for, even though I love the high end stuff.
I don't mean to slam the new era, I know very well that the tacticals will outdo an old Case, Imperial, Schrade... but for most jobs that kind of strength really isn't necessary.

I have a couple of dozen trappers, stockmen, muskrats, etc. and a few old lockbacks that I can't use anymore. For some reason, my fingernails have gotten so thin and brittle that they break when I try to open a blade (mid-age maybe?) Sure miss using my old carbon steel Eyebrands. I mainly use Enduras and
delicas now. And soon a BF Native.

I'm quite partial to a Henckels 7S stag whittler, my Buck 532 series "Bucklocks" and a diminutive Katz lockback. The either augment other knives or are used when all other options are positively off limits.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

I did NOT escape from the institution! They gave me a day pass!

A topic I have thought of many of times! The forums are mostly of new one hand opening knives but I know that we all must have a nice collection of fine pocket knives. I myself collect Winchester,Case,Queen S&M's,and various others. I always like to carry at least one "fine" pocket knife each day, along with my moden tactical knife(witch is now my new Military..I love this knife) I have always wondered why more members here dont talk much about our pocket knives.

~Keith~

I carry my Swiss Army Huntsman all the time. Is it considered a traditional folding knive even though it has the typical Swiss Army doodads with it?

I too carry traditional pocket folders quite often. The ones I use most are a 1987 vintage Parker stag handled, damascus bladed lockback (one of my very favorite knives for many years,) a Schrade Old Timer Stockman, a Case carbon steel Congress, a Case stag handled Trapper, a Remington Camper's Knife, a Remington Upland, a Browning Bird and Trout, a Case SS gentleman's lockback, three SAK's (kinda partial to the Golfer,) a few tactical folders that have been gussied up to look like traditional folders (You'd love my black mother of pearl Spyderco Toad.) Let's see, there's the Parker Stockman, the Henkels Congress, the Boker pen knife, The Buck mini lockback, ah yes the Normark Pocket Swede (another favorite,) the Gerber pocket lockback with the scrimshaw scales, .............

------------------
Fred
Knife Outlet
www.knifeoutlet.com

I love my little Schrade Old Timer. I take it with me every day. It is one of the most useful knives I have.

There are Certain ocasions such as my younger brothers graduation when I will carry such a knife. That particualr knife is a two bladed slip joint with honey pick bone scales and 440V blades that is a very nice knife IMHO made by Ray Cover Sr. . I also carry a very nice slip joint with exhibition grade Snakewood scales and 440V blade by Rob Simonich. Both have recieved a lot of attention from the non knife folks. All of it very positive.

Regards,

Tom Carey

------------------
IF you are a knife maker interested in free space on the web.
Check out. CGA online

www.anova.org/cga/

I will NEVER (notice I said "never") carry a knife that I cannot retrieve and open with one hand unless I have another knife on me that I can retrieve and open with one hand. I would have lost a good bit of my left pinky finger a few years back if it hadn't been for my trusty Spyderco. I swore then that I would NEVER carry a knife that I had to dig for and use both hands to open.

An Uncle Henry Stockman is almost always in my pocket in addition to a "higher end" locking toy.

Along with one or two 'one-hand' knives, I always carry a Victorinox 'Tinker'. I bought my first one 15 years ago and after having carried it daily, I just replaced it on the weekend with a brand new 'Tinker'. This knife gets used much more than anything else. Not only does it not freak people out when you you pull it out of your pocket (even my little Spyderco Delica can make people back away slowly), it is a knife I feel free to use (read abuse here) without being concerned that I am ruining an expensive blade.

[This message has been edited by phone_archer (edited 03 May 1999).]

Along with one or two 'one-hand' knives, I always carry a Victorinox 'Tinker'. I bought my first one 15 years ago and after having carried it daily, I just replaced it on the weekend with a brand new 'Tinker'. This knife gets used much more than anything else. Not only does it not freak people out when you you pull it out of you pocket (even my little Spyderco Delica can make people back away slowly), it is a knife I feel free to use (read abuse here) without being concerned that I am ruining an expensive blade.

I'm a traditional guy and a tactical guy. Carry my small Victorinox every day as well as a small lockback schrade. Also, wouldn't leave the house without a one hand opener. The traditionals do 99% of the work, but I consider both types required gear when leaving the house.

Of all my knives, my old timer trapper is definetly one of my fav ourites for everyday carry. The carbon steel holds an edge as well as any higher end ATS34 s and sharpens far more easily.

Back