How many of us started making knives because of Andy? Post pics here!

Oh, I've got a sweet piece of Shadetree Tomato Burlap that I'm saving for the right blade!! :)

Wanna get some of that coffee sack stuff, too!

Sure like that slender EDC, keep up the work and posting pics.

Core, the first knife with the continuous curves from the guard back sure looks nice. Maybe not purely original but well done nonetheless.

This is a really neat thread. I hope y'all know you can get in touch any time if you have a question, and only want a midling duck to respond. LOL. Happy Thanksgiving!

HA! I'll tell him you said so! That one was made by my cousin, Morgan. We worked a trade, he makes me a sheath with as much floral tooling as he can pack on it, and I make him a knife to his spec. The little Ironwood number was supposed to be a T&E to refine for the final model, but so far he's kept it. He's won a Saddle making contest down at Alpine, and shown his wares at several big shows. He works full time on a ranch and they are starting to have to chop ice every day up there in Dakota, so he's probably not making much leather right now. He sure is good, though. I envy him and you, Tal, for your skills!

First of all, awsome work chainring and Core!

I've been messing around making a few knives, and I have to say that Andy's work has really been inspirational. I'm ashamed to post these here with the other knives guys are making. But here are a couple I've made out of Aldo's 1084.

c87da37b.jpg

1517bed1.jpg

These are the 4th and 5th one's I've made. The top one went to Dad for a Fathers Day gift, and the lower one was designed by and made for a friend. I don't get to grind much, work and the family take up the vast majority of my time. These were made using a cheap harbor frieght 1x30 inch belt grinder, propane forge, and a drill press. One of these days I'll set up a proper shop and have some decent equipment, and maybe even time to use it!

Brandon

Last edited:
It is a great honor to have inspired any of you. Please post pics of your work, and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks guys! Thats definately my favorite pattern so far. Matt, those drop points in osage and ironwood are sweet. They all look great, but I really enjoy that style. And Michael that knife in the 5th and 6th pictures definately does it for me.

Good looking stuff guys!

Brandon

I'll share a few since Andy gave the okay.

Here are pics of a couple of the ones I have made.

My Bushcraft (this one is mine)

I always loved this color combo when Andy put it together so I had to make one for me.

b3f5d2ad.jpg

d7fef020.jpg

And the sheath I made for it.

54e2c7cb.jpg

A Bushcraft EDC

ad24ad7e.jpg

a463c47b.jpg

And here is some gratuitous Burlap for you Todd.;)

28ccdb43.jpg

Last edited:
Jared, I want the top one...and the bottom one. Everybody is distracted by the knives, but I gotta say...the leather is amazing, too. Absolutely fabulous work. I don't know what you do for a living...but I know what you COULD do! :)

Man, those look great. I love this finishes on those blades.

Tomorrow I'll have to take a pic of the Nessmuk my 13 year-old son did this afternoon. Honestly, it has mistakes as you would imagine but I'm pretty sure it's going to be my skinning knife from here on out. Now, if anyone is heat treating any O1 any time soon and wants to throw his knife in with the batch...hint, hint. :D

J. O., Those knives are gorgeous bro! You really have some skill. Those look like they have some serious experience and practice behind them. Good stuff bro.

One thing I will say, and please don't take this the wrong way. I don't know how long you've been making knives. I'm still very much, in my mind, still new in knifemaking. Maybe still new enough not to be giving advice. Just be concious of how much you let your inspiration come out in your design and execution. That's one thing that I pay huge attention to in all of my designs. Since I learned from Andy and work with him every day, his design style and aesthetic have a tendancy to come out in my knives and I have to keep that in check. In my opinion, the main aim of any knifemaker should be to find something that makes him special and push that. That's the one thing I strive for, is to make my knives unique and make them recognizable as mine. I want people to look at my knives and say, "no doubt, that's a Fletcher Knife. Can't be anyone else's." Like I said, I don't want you to take that the wrong way. Your knives are awesome and you lack NOTHING in execution from what I can see. You have a great talent and skill. Just find that style all your own and push it further.

I have read this post a few times now, and I'm trying so hard to make this sound as good as my intentions. lol. I hope you take it in the positive way I mean it.

J. O., Those knives are gorgeous bro! You really have some skill. Those look like they have some serious experience and practice behind them. Good stuff bro.

One thing I will say, and please don't take this the wrong way. I don't know how long you've been making knives. I'm still very much, in my mind, still new in knifemaking. Maybe still new enough not to be giving advice. Just be concious of how much you let your inspiration come out in your design and execution. That's one thing that I pay huge attention to in all of my designs. Since I learned from Andy and work with him every day, his design style and aesthetic have a tendancy to come out in my knives and I have to keep that in check. In my opinion, the main aim of any knifemaker should be to find something that makes him special and push that. That's the one thing I strive for, is to make my knives unique and make them recognizable as mine. I want people to look at my knives and say, "no doubt, that's a Fletcher Knife. Can't be anyone else's." Like I said, I don't want you to take that the wrong way. Your knives are awesome and you lack NOTHING in execution from what I can see. You have a great talent and skill. Just find that style all your own and push it further.

I have read this post a few times now, and I'm trying so hard to make this sound as good as my intentions. lol. I hope you take it in the positive way I mean it.

Andy's layered handles and pin placement have definitely set the bar very high.

Jared, do you have any of that first run left? I want to buy one before you change 'em up! :)

Back