How many of us started making knives because of Andy? Post pics here!

Andy is the man. I'm going through everything Andy went through back in his day. I'm doing my best to learn how to do this strictly from the internet. I have nobody locally to show me the ropes. So having someone like Andy around to pick his brain is like gold. I just got done grinding out these two. Actually it was twelve, but only two made it out alive. The rest...They're currently living in the junk pile.

The Nessmuk does have an area on the upper grind line that needs to be touched up after heat treating. It was starting to ride up and I didn't want this one to join the others in the junk pile.

OlympicMTNS396.jpg

Well Andy was an inspiration to me when I was starting out (along with Koyote and Gossman).

Here is a knife I made that was inspired by Andy's layered wood handles (although this one is stabilized maple burl over micarta):

sept192010002.jpg

sept192010005.jpg

Bruce

Bruce, I love your blade finishing!

You guys are doing some awesome work. I can see how Andy is an inspiration to you. I remember back when I first met Andy on Ramanon forum. He was very enthusiastic about making knives. It's great to see how far he has come with his knifemaking. Truely a fantastic maker.
Scott

Andy has been a huge inspiration over the last couple of years. I can still remember drooling over the knives on his website long before I found BF. Heres one I finished a few months ago.Fall 2011 020.jpgObviously. :)

5/32 1095, 5 3/4 oal, 2 inch cutting edge. Padouk handles with stainless pins and tube. Thanks chainring! I enjoy making them as a hobby. Don't sell em or really hope to, I just enjoy doing it.

Well, as usual I'm a day late and a dollar short. But I thought I'd put a modest pic up of my last one. I've done some blanks before and made a knife out of an old file. But this is my fist knife out of blade steel. It's Aldo's 1084, 8.5 OA, 4" blade. The handle is black Corian spacers with a dyed stabilized maple burl over natural canvas.

image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

Here is a tip guys. When you are placing your pins, be sure any error is toward the spine of the tang, rather than toward the edge side of the tang. This is very important for a single line of pins down the center. For some reason, the eye doesn't get drawn to very small error toward the spine nearly as bad. Center the first pin and run the rest of the holes in a line from the first pin toward the butt of the knife. Only that first pin is to be centered.

Back