How many service connected vets here?

Charlie Mike

Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob)
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm at 70% for PTSD right now. I'm waiting on a claim for IU that I made back in April. Waiting on anything Gov related is a beau coop PITA. My rep at the DAV says I should be getting a decision soon. He said that by a presidential order, all Enduring Freedom / Iraqi Freedom vets with comp&pension claims are on the fast track. So that means I will be back payed an extra $1400 per month on top of my $1161(70%) to April. I'm fairly excited since this will allow me to go back to school with no real financial concerns.

PS ... I think the scale of benefits is really f*cked. When 70% is $1161/month and 100% is $2500/month. :rolleyes:

My claim should be done soon......though I've heard that for the last year plus. I was also told "All EF/IF vets get fast tracked" The only silver lining to this mess is the back pay. I'm hoping to get a vocational rehab deal as well to learn a new trade. You might look into that.

That's exactly what I will be doing.

I'm at 70% for PTSD right now. I'm waiting on a claim for IU that I made back in April. Waiting on anything Gov related is a beau coop PITA. My rep at the DAV says I should be getting a decision soon. He said that by a presidential order, all Enduring Freedom / Iraqi Freedom vets with comp&pension claims are on the fast track. So that means I will be back payed an extra $1400 per month on top of my $1161(70%) to April. I'm fairly excited since this will allow me to go back to school with no real financial concerns.

PS ... I think the scale of benefits is really f*cked. When 70% is $1161/month and 100% is $2500/month. :rolleyes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been 100% for many years . My payback was just several thousand. Upon my inquiry I was told that a claim " Must be reactivated " every year. My payback should have been from 1978. Go figure. When I asked VA why I wasn't told the reply was,"It's not our job".

Now there is talk of an increase to pay for"Loss of quality life". What a hoot that'd be ,huh ?

Uncle Alan:)

PS My check is $2,669 a month.

What really sucks about this is that it is to my benefit to be unemployed right now. So I am subsisting completely off my $1161. It's in the 100's outside and with gas prices where they are (and having a 10 year old car with no AC) there really isn't much to do. I have an artificially high tolerance for bullshit, instilled by my time in the Army. Add to that, I quit drinking about 6 months ago, so I'm bored as hell. Where I live (Fresno/Clovis, CA) it takes money to go "out" so I sit in my apartment and lurk here.

edit: I am in no way bitching about my situation, just stating the facts. I consider myself very fortunate to be receiving anything right now.

Last edited:
Count me among the 100% disabled and unemployable...

I was originally at 80%, and approached the VA for vocational training... at my last exam, I was told that I am now 100% and "unemployable"... ineligible for voc training.... even though I can lay on my back and work this laptop, they won't train you/me for such work (I'd hoped to learn medical transcription which I could do from home... though I suppose in hindsight, a guy who takes as many drugs as I do, probably shouldn't be transcribing medical notes:D).

Frankly... I have all my body parts (though some don't work as designed... but I am visibly whole) and I'm kind of ashamed/embarrassed at being rated "100%" when I'm at the VA sitting next to Vets who obviously don't have all the parts that God gave them... and they are also "100%".:eek::eek::eek:

The system is far from ideal.

Frankly... I have all my body parts (though some don't work as designed... but I am visibly whole) and I'm kind of ashamed/embarrassed at being rated "100%" when I'm at the VA sitting next to Vets who obviously don't have all the parts that God gave them... and they are also "100%"

Tim, don't you ever feel ashamed or embarrassed about receiving the care and compensation you earned and deserve by serving your country!!!!!!!

I retired from the air force in 78, after just 3 years in service, with a 100% service connected disability. I was drawing a bigger pension than my Father and he had put 22 years in the service. Man, I felt like garbage for a lot of years! I hadn't even served in combat, so it was extra weight! It took me at least 15 years to feel good about myself being blessed like I am!
I'm 100% permanent service connected with the air force and 70% with the VA. I used to have a 100% rating the VA but back when Reagan decided to butcher the VA's budget, they cut my rating down to 60% and a couple years ago I filed and it was raised to 70%.
I wish they'd pass a law letting us draw both our military pensions and VA pensions, what's called double dipping. That would double my monthly income! :D

Frankly... I have all my body parts (though some don't work as designed... but I am visibly whole) and I'm kind of ashamed/embarrassed at being rated "100%" when I'm at the VA sitting next to Vets who obviously don't have all the parts that God gave them... and they are also "100%"

Tim, don't you ever feel ashamed or embarrassed about receiving the care and compensation you earned and deserve by serving your country!!!!!!!

I retired from the air force in 78, after just 3 years in service, with a 100% service connected disability. I was drawing a bigger pension than my Father and he had put 22 years in the service. Man, I felt like garbage for a lot of years! I hadn't even served in combat, so it was extra weight! It took me at least 15 years to feel good about myself being blessed like I am!
I'm 100% permanent service connected with the air force and 70% with the VA. I used to have a 100% rating the VA but back when Reagan decided to butcher the VA's budget, they cut my rating down to 60% and a couple years ago I filed and it was raised to 70%.
I wish they'd pass a law letting us draw both our military pensions and VA pensions, what's called double dipping. That would double my monthly income! :D

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. As you seem to know, it's a challenge to "feel" right about it... I'm working on it... perhaps for me, it will also take a few years. It's another of life's challenges I suppose... and a challenge is just a victory not yet realized.

Thanks again... your words and experience are of great value.

I'm actually starting the process, going back to the navy/VA regarding injuries from my service, '85-89. All documented by my civilian doctors for years. I was fine & reasonably healthy going in at 17. Came out of the navy at age 20 almost deaf on one side (they had me re-do my hearing test three times) and two different doctors told me I had nerve damage in both feet; couldn't sleep (and still can't) for any more than 2-3 hours at a time because of pain in my upper back.

I got the typical "you're fine" checkout when I left the service, even with all that.

This oughta be fun.

Still, when I look at the photos & patches on my office wall, and think of the guys I knew and served with, in a way it was worth it. Seven of them didn't come home; in that sense, I'm a lucky man. My thanks to all of you guys for your service as well.

thx - cpr

:)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been 100% for many years . My payback was just several thousand. Upon my inquiry I was told that a claim " Must be reactivated " every year. My payback should have been from 1978. Go figure. When I asked VA why I wasn't told the reply was,"It's not our job".

Now there is talk of an increase to pay for"Loss of quality life". What a hoot that'd be ,huh ?

Uncle Alan:)

PS My check is $2,669 a month.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgot to mention that 100%ers are eligible for "Aid & Attendance" if they are unable to function well in their home. I was declared eligible because I'm to tall to wash dishes or run a vacuum or sweeping without bending . I can get a maid two 4 hour days a week & VA pays.They also send a health care nurse by every few weeks. Here in Florida we pay ZERO property taxes & truck tag is only $4.50 adm fee.

C'mom on down.....

Uncle Alan :)

all of you Vets...listen up.

I would gladly pay double in Taxes if I knew that any assistance you fellas needed was given. Especially combat or PSTD wounded Vets. You guys did a service so that I have the privlidge to live in one of the greatest countries in the world.

thats all I can say ...except Thanks for what you do and did...no shame or embarassment ever, period.

Ren:thumbup:

Worked the flightline for 24 years in the AF. Rated at 50% for hearing loss, and inner ear problems and injuries recieved while fighting an F-15 ground fire. Outwardly, I appear healthy but like timscaw, feel embarassed when I go to the VA hospital and talk to those I consider the real DAVs.

j

Forgot to mention that 100%ers are eligible for "Aid & Attendance" if they are unable to function well in their home. I was declared eligible because I'm to tall to wash dishes or run a vacuum or sweeping without bending . I can get a maid two 4 hour days a week & VA pays.They also send a health care nurse by every few weeks. Here in Florida we pay ZERO property taxes & truck tag is only $4.50 adm fee.

C'mom on down.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commisary priveleges,free air flights anywhere there is an U S airbase excepting combat zones.

Oncle [slow ] Alan

:D

C'mom on down.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commisary priveleges,free air flights anywhere there is an U S airbase excepting combat zones.

Oncle [slow ] Alan

I get 10% for tinnitus. A surprising amount of things set it off, all being the same tone as a 903 cu diesel Amtrack engine.

I don't like receiving it. There are plenty with much more terrible injuries than I, but I must say for the few things I've been seen for at the VA the treatment has been great.

I would like to thank those who have served and there is no shame whatsoever in receiving the benefits that you are entitled to for your service.
So far, I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but I still have a few years left.

Dan

Political Ploy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AGENT ORANGE EQUITY: On 23 JUL House Veterans’ Affairs Committee
Chairman Bob Filner (D-CA) held a press conference to announce the
introduction of H.R. 6562, the Agent Orange Equity Act of 2008. The bill
restores equity to all Vietnam veterans that were exposed to Agent Orange.
It would clarify the laws related to VA benefits provided to Vietnam
War veterans suffering from the ravages of Agent Orange exposure. From
1991 to 2002, the VA granted hundreds, if not thousands of disability
claims filed by Navy blue water veterans suffering from one of the many
diseases that VA recognizes as related to Agent Orange exposure. These
benefits were awarded based on VA rules providing that service in the
waters offshore Vietnam qualified the veteran for the presumption of
exposure to Agent Orange. In FEB 02 VA did an about face and required
veterans to have ‘actually served on land within the Republic of Vietnam …
to qualify for the presumption of exposure to’ Agent Orange. As a
result, all pending and new disability claims filed by Navy blue water
veterans for an Agent Orange-related disease were denied unless there was
proof that that the veteran actually set foot on Vietnamese soil. In
addition, the VA began to sever benefits that had been granted to Navy
blue water veterans prior to the 2002 change in VA rules.
Currently, VA
requires Vietnam veterans to prove “foot on land” in order to qualify
for the presumptions of service-connection for herbicide-exposure
related illnesses afforded under current law. This issue has been the
subject of much litigation and on 8 MAY, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
upheld VA’s overly narrow interpretation. Congress clearly did not
intend to exclude these veterans from compensation based on arbitrary
geographic line drawing by VA.

If enacted every service member awarded the Vietnam Service medal,
or who otherwise deployed to land, sea or air, in the Republic of
Vietnam is fully covered by the comprehensive Agent Orange laws Congress
passed in 1991. It will make it easier for VA to process Vietnam War
veterans’ claims for service-connected conditions that scientists have
conclusively linked to toxic exposures during the Vietnam War and that are
identified in current law. Chairman John Hall who leads the
Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs, the subcommittee
with jurisdiction over these issues stated, “With this legislation,
Congress will leave no doubt that the ‘Blue Water Navy’ and all combat
veterans of Vietnam are intended to be covered and compensated; thus ensuring
that these veterans will receive the disability benefits they earned
and deserve for exposure to Agent Orange. This is the cost of war. We
asked these brave men and women to fight for us and serve their country,
and it is a grave injustice that they have had to wait this long for
treatment. We must place care of our soldiers among our top priorities.
This applies for all past, present, and future conflicts.” [Source: HCVA
Bob Filner News Flash 23 Jul 08 ++]

Is this just another political tactic or is it the real deal this time? Not being a democrat, I can’t help but have my suspicions that this is coming at an opportune time for the election cycle. This legislation should have been taken care of years ago. I am glad the topic is being addressed even though the timing might be a little questionable.

I could say lots for and against the Veterans Administration but will hold my piece . I am just curious how many here at BF was aware of this new legislation. Hope this doesn’t infringe the rules. If so I apologize.

I posted the above reference to HR6562 in another forum recently and got no replys other than mention from the forum police.
In regards to drawing pension and service connect payments, I have seen something on that being discussed by the VA fairly recently and hopefully something will be done about the situation in favor of receiving both payments.
I have been dealing with DAV for AO claims for over a year now and still in process. I firmly believe anyone that served and received combat pay in VM should be entitled, but they keep changing the rules for presumption. Maybe Filner can get the wrong set straight.
Dan Bluewater Navy Vet

I am 20% service connected for an injury to my shoulder.

If this has not been mentioned yet, make sure you check out the VA's Voc Rehab program. That is a fantastic program that has sent me completely through college.

Also, I read in this month's VFW magazine that there is a new GI Bill for those who have served at least 3 years since 2001 and gives you a full ride scholarship to any state school. So you younger guys, make sure you check out ALL your benefits.

For all Veterans: Thank you for your service!!! My family and I owe you our freedom!

In an earlier post, someone mentioned the inability to receive VA disability AND their retirement pension.

I received this from Defense, Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) concerning Concurrent Retired Disability Payment (CRDP) and Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC)... Either of these my be of interest to Vets.
http://www.dfas.mil/rna-news/july2008/directorscorner.html

From the DFAS Newsletter;

What is CRDP?

CRDP is a phased-in restoration of the retired pay deducted from military retirees’ accounts due to their receipt of Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) compensation (reflected on Retiree Account Statements as the “VA waiver”). The phased-in restoration began January 1, 2004 with the first payments dated February 2, 2004.

I hope this is of value to any who may not be aware of it.

Solid, stay strong. PTSD is a bitch in heels. I'm 100% disabled with it, and loss of alot of gut from blast injury/frags.
Been in counseling for a while now and it helps to talk about it.
I'm in a part of the country that doesn't have many people in our condition so I don't have people to talk to that can understand what it's all about, you know the nightmares, the times when you just seem to break down out of nowhere, cause something you see, smell, hear etc. brings memories crashing back to the surface. For me a memory that causes problems is the sound of hueys going full throttle, they make a very distinctive crack, crack crack from the rotor blades.
The damn TV doesn't help either. I hate the way Hollywood tries to glamorize things. I try to just watch sit-com comedy and so-on. (Sorry for going off on a rant)
I got lucky when it came to getting my rating. The local VA counseler was very helpful and got me re-evaluated while I was still on the TDRL list, (technically I was still active duty). So I was seen and evaluated by the active military and ordered to 100%. So the VA is stuck with me for life.

Back