How Much Would You Pay?

JK Knives

Imagine this. You are miles away from your vehicle, and are splitting small pieces of wood for your campfire. Suddenly your knife breaks in half (not a JK!) What do you do? How much would you pay to have a small, handy, tough back up knife like the Scalpel? This would make a great backup to your main blade, and with the two holes, you could cord wrap it, or lash it to a pole.

The specs:
5" overall
2" cutting edge
1/8" thick O1 steel
Both sides ground
3/4" tall
Kydex sheath

Last edited:
I would probably be in Sean's price range, maybe a little more for a knife like that if I was looking for one. Would it be possible to chamfer those holes? I think that would make them a little more comfortable to hold and use.

I would probably be in Sean's price range, maybe a little more for a knife like that if I was looking for one. Would it be possible to chamfer those holes? I think that would make them a little more comfortable to hold and use.

The holes will be chamfered, this is just a blank, not even heat treated. I`m kind of wondering how it would be with thin micarta scales.

1st of all - why would you go out into the woods without your JK O1 steel knife? :eek: :confused:

No scales - if anything sell it with 2' +/- of parachord so that it could be wrapped and then with the wrapping is handy to lash on a pole or handle. Ease all the handle edges and holes so that they won't fray the chord.

Now you are pushing $45.00 to $65.00. I would definitely try to keep the price under $65.00. Don't know what is realistic.

Last edited:
My first thought was... I would love to put some thin micarta scales on one.:thumbup:
Second thought was $40-50 would be a good price point.
I do like Ray's idea of including some paracord for handle wrapping, but make it 4 feet so you could gut it & use the inner strands for snares, repairs and fishing.

My last thought is how about going thin & offering it in 1/16"?

My first thought was... I would love to put some thin micarta scales on one.:thumbup:
Second thought was $40-50 would be a good price point.
I do like Ray's idea of including some paracord for handle wrapping, but make it 4 feet so you could gut it & use the inner strands for snares, repairs and fishing.

My last thought is how about going thin & offering it in 1/16"?

Thank you for posting my thoughts, Mykel.:thumbup:

The holes will be chamfered, this is just a blank, not even heat treated. I`m kind of wondering how it would be with thin micarta scales.

I always wear a necker in about this same pattern when I'm out in the woods just for that very reason, as a back-up. I'm not a cord wrap fan, so one in thin micarta would be my preference. If you kept them in the $75 range I would think they would sell very well, I'll order one right now if you offer it in a leather necker sheath and thin micarta. Brad.

I think in the $65 range would be good if you can swing it. I would offer the cord wrap as standard, with thin micarta as an extra.

$70. Don't underprice it. I think it's a nice piece. No scales. Cord wrapped and a basic kydex sheath.

If possible I would do a base model and then let options be selected. Some may not even want it with a sheath. A back pocket sheath would likely be my choice if it was an option. I would offer a bare one, $x more for cord wrap, or $x more for the micarta for those who prefer that. Maybe hollows under the handles for a bit of gear and large screws which would let you remove the handles with a coin if needed so it could be lashed as you mentioned.

I like it, and the idea; throwing options out there.

Has anything become of this idea? I like it (with thin micarta handles & a simple sheath) and wouldn't mind ordering one if it was in the ~$60-65 range...

Thin micarta, IWB loop, simple kydex, done deal.
I'd pay $80 for that at least.
From a known maker like you if the 'carta was nice I'd be at at least $110.
Just to get some experience with O1 I'd but it if it fit my style color wise.

I`m still considering doing this.
Looking forward to what you come up with. I can't tell you how many times I've went back to look at this knife. If I were to make any changes I would like to see an inch added to the OAL.

Back