1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

How often do you cut things with your EDC knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jaime_lion, Jul 17, 2017.

1. PiercedBill

PiercedBill

Nov 15, 2014
    I work in a plastic molding plant, so I spend all day cutting runners and trimming flash off parts. Sure, I could use a razor knife like everyone else, but where's the fun in that? :D Besides.. my knives are sharper than the razor knives are

2. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    Every day for one thing or another. I use it in the kitchen for serious cutting of some things that work better with my 3.25 inch blade than the larger equivalents in the block, partly because it is sharper than the kitchen knives (wife's "preference" :rolleyes: ) and it's handiest; I have only to reach into my pocket for it.
    Outdoor, it does much trimming of unruly foliage and branches, opens bags of mulch and other garden dirt (my wife's garden projects, I am just pawn in game of life), and odd jobs like recently trimming excess from my leather belt. From time to time, there is always something that needs cut, and I enjoy doing it.

19-3ben and Sergeua like this.
  3. folder geek

folder geek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2012
    As much as I can while at home or out and about. 5-10 x a day.
    At work in the ER scissors rule. Do not recommend cutting bandages or clothes while working with the gp. Scissors work better anyway.
    Also fly in a helicopter. Flying in a helicopter with a sharp open knife is not a good idea. Scissors or a pry tool work the best IMO.
    Anybody that says scissors are for sissies come to the ER while I am working and I will gladly cut off your pants and shirt with a scalpel:D
    Cheers

palonej, 19-3ben, Pomsbz and 4 others like this.
  4. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Carried two today. Didn't use either of them. Typical day.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  5. Billy The Blade

Billy The Blade

Jul 30, 2014

6. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Scissors for scissor type cutting, knife for knife type cutting, axe or saw for the tasks they were created for, kitchen knives for the stuff they excel at. There are the type of people who will try to fix everything with a hammer. Those are the kinds of people who will try to cut everything with a knife. Probably the cause of the current batoning craze. :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    sabre cat, 19-3ben and BBuser like this.
  7. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    As they say... Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

I don't use mine every day, but I absolutely carry one all the time. Have had one on me almost every day since Christmas in the 4th grade (where I'm from 9 year old boys carried pocket knives as the norm).

hexenjager likes this.
  8. lemonslush

lemonslush

Aug 13, 2012
    we make up reasons to use it... all of us do. "i could tear that package open...nope EDC", " I could just peel that orange peel off...nope EDC", "I could use that screw driver right next to me to pop this open instead of potentially blunting my knifes tip...nope EDC".

So yea I use mine everyday. :p

Pomsbz likes this.
  9. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    I use my EDC knife and multi tool as a backup. I tend to prefer specialty blades for specific jobs, i.e. saw, pry bar, box cutter, drywall saw/knife scissors, awl, etc. I can and have gotten away with cutting up boxes by just ripping them apart, or scoring with an old key, and even opened zip ties and those large packing ties for crates and pallets using just my hands/fingers, but it's not as efficient. If I find myself without the proper tool for the job, I find a decent knife and/or multi tool can often get the job done (as long as the job isn't too big). Everyone's everyday needs are different though.

Side note... when I used to volunteer on the ambulance, I would prioritize trauma sheers (scissors) over a knife any day of the week... Although I usually carried both.

Pomsbz likes this.
  10. deerslap

deerslap

Jun 2, 2016
    I use my EDC everyday, throughout the day. Grandpa once told me never trust a man that doesn't carry a knife and never trust a man that sits to take a piss. Cowboy up and start carrying a knife! Looking for a pair of scissors to cut something is like waking up in the morning putting on your skinny jeans gulping down your tea so you can rush outside to raise your fag flag.

Minnesota Man and LG&M like this.
  11. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Sigh. :rolleyes: You're going to force me to take the OP's side on this.

I thought it was kinda dumb to go on a knife forum and ask if anyone uses a knife when scissors are available. But at least he didn't go on a homophobic rant, insulting anyone who doesn't use the same tools as he.

CoryMc, 19-3ben, cf1969 and 11 others like this.
  12. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    [​IMG]

13. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Thought it would be tough to top the stupidness of the OP......I was wrong.

CoryMc, T. Erdelyi, cf1969 and 8 others like this.
  14. machineage

machineage

Nov 10, 2012
    Been carrying a knife EDC for many years, and by far the number one thing I've cut has been my finger or thumb! Not even a close second. Overall, I use my knife far less than I'd like to. If I don't actively look for something to cut, it seldom gets used. That's also because I won't use a good folder or fixed blade to cut old cardboard, tie wraps hard plastic ect.. I'm not very adept at sharpening so I'm not going to risk chipping out a blade when I can just use a utility knife and not have to worry. I did use my small Sebby the other day to cut a thread when my wife was sewing. I stropped it afterwards and it seem fine now!!!

palonej and hexenjager like this.
  15. palonej

Aug 5, 2015
    I love it!!
    Thank God you didn't get a chip in the blade on that tough to cut thread!! Some of those threads are very hard on edges!!
    :D:D
    Joe

16. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Yeah...maybe leave cowboys out of your BS from now on. Some of us actual cowboys would rather not be associated with that sort of ignorant crap.

Ace Rimmer, TimmyJ, Pomsbz and 2 others like this.
  17. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    Dealt with....let's move on.

18. palonej

Aug 5, 2015
    An excellent candidate for the ignore list.
    Joe

19. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Me?!!
    ;):D

palonej likes this.
  20. palonej

Aug 5, 2015
    Hmmmmmm......did someone say something???
    :D:D

hexenjager and Armadew like this.