How Often Do You Oil The Joints?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by MarkPinTx, Jul 30, 2010.

1. MarkPinTx

MarkPinTx

Aug 21, 2003
    Hey all. Dumb question, but I'm curious how often you oil your joints? I often use my knife as sort of a worry stone: rubbing it, picking/cleaning nails, stropping, cleaning it. I probably polish it using Nevrdull every 10 days to help keep the bolsters from getting completely scratched up. I oil during these cleaning/polishing sessions and sometimes in between.

On the one hand I get some comfort seeing that bit of oil on the tang but it disappears after a day or two. I'm aware of the hazards of overoiling guns, bike chains etc., but don't think it really applies to knives.

Anyway, what say the gang on this? How much is too much, if any is? What should be the minimum interval?

2. ReGZ_93

ReGZ_93 Banned BANNED

Dec 23, 2007
    I oil my knives when I notice the action slows up or starts to bind. I don't like to over oil them since it makes a mess.

3. thejamppa

thejamppa

Aug 20, 2009
    Nevah! J/K That really depends. When I start feeling problem in opening, then. I usually oil joints when I receive knife and I might use it years without relubrication. However if I do something slippjoint in humid or wet environment for extended period of time, when I relubeircate joins just in case.

I use small drop in each joint, move blades and whipe off excessive.

dang, post number #1700... I guess I need to prepeare something for 2K give away soon...

4. artmichalek

artmichalek

Jul 20, 2008
    Only after the knife gets cleaned with soapy water. I don't think it's possible to over oil as long as you open/close a few times and wipe off all the excess each time. Normal use shouldn't be enough to move oil out of the joint though.

5. FLymon

FLymon Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2006
    The knives I oil with petroleum based oil I will oil pretty much only after cleaning. So depending on how often I carry/use one it could be a year or more between oiling.
    The ones I use mineral oil on I will put a drop in the pivot anytime I think it even might be sorta kinda dry. I don't know if that is necessary or not, but I figure it can't hurt.

6. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    Worry beads don't need oil. ;)

Is your blade stainless steel? Is it carbon steel? How often do you use it? Do you get it wet, bloody, dusty? Where do you carry it? Tough question. Oh, my... :grumpy:

7. navihawk

navihawk

Feb 21, 2006
    I only oil when I feel them getting crunchy, or I might oil them after I sharpen them. I never polish the bolsters.The pins could be a different hardness than the bolster making themselves become shown. I'll stick them in mineral oil and blow them out with air, or if I'm home clean them up with a toothpick and napkin.

8. Tony Bose

Tony Bose

Oct 21, 2006
    I recomend once a week. It doesn't cost much or take a lot of work so why not do it?

9. rifon2

rifon2

Oct 9, 2005
    hmmm, here I am posting right after Tony Bose recommended once a week. :)

10. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    I pretty much strop (if need sharpen) my carry knives once a week and put a drop or two in then.
    If they get used in a wet environment, I go over them when I get home.

11. stockman242

stockman242

Jan 14, 2008
    I look over every knife I have on the weekend. They get cleaned, oiled, and sharpened if needed.
    It has become part of the routine. Every first weekend a month I look over my woodworking tools as well.

Peter

12. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    The walk and talk of the blades tell me when it's time to oil the joints.

- Christian

13. moonwilson

moonwilson

Aug 10, 2006
    I have quite a few slipjoints in my collection, not all (most) of which don't get carried on a regular basis. So here's an addendum to the question posed in the OP- how often should you oil knives that are in storage, or are not a part of your regular rotation?

I generally go through the whole collection every few months to check for rust and clean things up, fiddle/ fondle and make sure everything's okay. I don't oil the joints every time, just if I think it's needed. Should I go ahead and pop a drop or two in each knife every few months "just in case"?

14. Thomason

Thomason

Nov 28, 2002
    :D

[​IMG]

15. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    I would. I sure is not going to hurt anything since it does not take much oil at all.

16. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    I'll put a drop of oil in the joints every time I have to really take it to a stone to sharpen the blade, when stropping won't get it finger print grabbing sharp again.

17. navihawk

navihawk

Feb 21, 2006
    I need to get a strop.

18. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    When your knife gets stiff to open, you are wearing out the joint!!
    When it gets crunchy (God forbid!) you are killing the joint, molecule by molecule. Metal should never rub metal.
    Tony B. is right on the money - once a week is not too often!
    Too much oil in a firearm is a totally different story, unless you break the sound barrier when you open the blade!:eek:
    A tiny drop is all it takes to preserve that snap you know and love. Think of the children!!
    "40 years later - - Gramps was a nice guy, but he never oiled his joints!! This knife has no snap!!":(

OIL 'em boys and girls! Oil 'em!:D

19. shecky

shecky

May 3, 2006
    Never. Unless absolutely necessary. Prophylactically oiling improves nothing, and only creates more opportunity for gunking up the pivots.

20. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Why?

You have a belt holding up your pants, right?:thumbup::)