how old is this plumb boyscout hatchet

IMG_20130406_140021_962_zps8392987d.jpg
IMG_20130406_140911_474_zpsb349ae01.jpg
IMG_20130406_235127_587_zps0ca036dd.jpg
IMG_20130406_235158_024_zpsdfa51d73.jpg

Anyone know any ways to tell how old one of these plumb boy scout hatchets is ? Just curious. I went hunting around for an old project hatchet and found this one. It doesn't seem to need much rehab so I guess I'll just Sharpen And lightly clean it.

Last edited:
That's a nice one, looks like someone has thinned the edge already too.
I have one from my Scouting days, (early 70s), and it's a Plumb too.
I think the ones with the nail remover pre-date that, so at least you have
a general idea.

1911 -1929. Handle may be original. Does it still have the screw "take-up wedge" in the top?

If u go on the Boy scout website they have the years on there. I think plumb had a wide range of years though.

Yes it has the screw take up in the top and a marking on the end of the handle I will post pics when I'm able

Last edited:
If u go on the Boy scout website they have the years on there. I think plumb had a wide range of years though.

Indeed they did, and only this model - the first model - had the BSA First Class badge opposite the nail pull

The Boy Scout website in the U.S. is www.scouting.org. It has no information on the history of B.S.A. tools that I have ever been able to find. Please give us the link. Thank you.

As originally made, the wooden wedge is pulled down into the handle, tightening the hold on the head. You picture does not reveal if that is still the case.

Kids were and are hard on equipment - especially impact tools.

When I found out about that construction I thought it was a really clever, but was it functional the way it was made?

When I found out about that construction I thought it was a really clever, but was it functional the way it was made?

Yes. I have several with the "take up wedge," and the heads are very secure. I have done quite a bit of chopping with one in roughest condition.

Yes. I have several with the "take up wedge," and the heads are very secure. I have done quite a bit of chopping with one in roughest condition.

Was it patented? I dont have a clear idea of how it works, could you make one yourself?

I'm glad to hear about the take-up screw. If I'd ever come across one I'd have hacked it out as an improper wedge.

It appears that there is s brass wedge in there behind the screw and possibly a bit of wood toward the blade side of the screw

I am sure you are correct. Perhaps a simple wooden wedge, or later the "Permabond" was a cost-reducer for Plumb.

OP's axe is BSA # 1002.

hepclass, you have a BSA # 1510 sold during the 1930's - with remains of original paint job on the original handle. Pretty full head.

IMG_1722_zpsd258dcf3.jpg
Thanks Thomas L, I do not have the take up screw in mine but what looks like a masonry cut nail? thank you for the date and # .

Back