How to attach scales?

Magnum .44 answered my question before I could ask it.
I have a very good picture of this process forming in my mind.
I ordered nickel silver and brass pins from Jantz.
I will put them in a vise and practice for awhile before I ruin any scales.

------------------
Luke 22:36, John 18:6-11, Freedom

I dont use epoxy except for a hidden tang. Then only JB Weld brand. It bonds to metal better than anything I have tried including Devcon 2 ton. The last time I used 5 min. i made the mistake of taking 6 minutes and ruined a nice set of mastodon ivory scales. What I have found is super glue works the best. I clamp the scale in my large drill press vice tight against the gaurd and look for daylight from improper fit. Use a couple of small c clamps to hold the handle very tight against the tang also. If the surfaces are true there will be a perfect fit. Why would you need epoxy at all? The super glue soaks in any voids and dries very hard. No epoxy mess. When the glue dries leave it clamped in the drill press vice and then drill the holes in the slab for the bolts or pins. I usually have several holes drilled in the tang for lightness which also gives me plenty of places to put the super glue. Oh be sure to use the thinnest super glue for deepest pennetration. Then simply unclamp and turn it over for the other side and repeat. Sorry this is so long. Bruce Bump

What do people mean by super glue?
I have seen this terminology used several times now, and at first I thought it meant a brand name, and now I think it refers to a type of generic glue.
Please tell me more about it and how much work time it affords.

------------------

the reason for epoxy is to make an extra bond, fill in gaps, and seal out moisture which can ruin a knife.

Ken, super glue is sold at Kmart or lumber yards hardware stores ect. If you look in Koval or K&g you will find it in larger containers and in different thicknesses for gap fill or best penetration. It bonds to metal and wood fills gaps and keeps moisture out. Can also be used to soak in cracks in handles even after the knife is done. It stabilizes woods also in several thin coats. Drying time varies but some kits come with a drying accelerator spray but the bond is best without it. Usually just a couple hours. Bruce

Super glue is kind of like Q-tips or Kleenex, it's a brand name that is used for any type of cyanoalacrilate (sp) adhesive. Sold under a ton of names, but all about the same stuff. it is very thin, dries very quickly, will stick your fingers together if your not careful. It is also fairly brittle if subjected to lateral forces due to the way the crystals form when it hardens. It has practically zero elasticity. Some people use it as a surface coat for wood, but it doesn't penetrate very far, and doesn't eleminate shrinking and swelling like true stabilized wood. It looks good if done right though.

James

------------------
I love my country! I just don't trust my government!

After evaluating everyone's input, I have pretty much decided to go with Brownell's AcraGlas to hold my black micarta scales on with pins.
AcraGlas comes clear or in black.
Comments?
How does one deal with any excess that might visibly squeeze out during the attachment process?
Will the excess wipe off or does it require some sort of solvent?

------------------

Well, I use the clear, if you plan on using nothing but black micarta, the black might be ok, but a kit of acraglass will glue a LOT of handles, and on wood or anything black sticks out like a sore thumb. Of course the ideal is to fit it so well you don't see any epoxy, but that ain't easy.

As for the excess, it will wipe off while wet with a piece of scrap cloth (but paper towels don't work too well) but I only bother with this where it will end up on the polished part of the blade. All around the edge of the grip, I just let it harden and grind it off when I do the final grind to shape on the slabs ( I glue my slabs on in as close to square as I can except for the front edge where it meets the bolster or blade) Letting the excess harden and then grinding it off gives a better seal between tang and slab

------------------
I love my country! I just don't trust my government!

I will print out this thread and save it for reference.
I will also order my clear acraglas from Brownell's right now.
I feel fully prepared to do this.
All the different perspectives, styles and preferences have given me a richer context of knowledge.
Thanks to all.

------------------

Back